Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by Mark Picard on Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:48 pm
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
Today I happened to have my hood off the Sigma 150-600mm "S" lens, and realized just how heavy it is! Now, don't get me wrong, along with the awesome build quality and performance of this lens, the hood is equally well made and machined and you could probably drive you car over it without damaging it. However - it weighs 11.7 ounces! That's almost a pound folks! The lens is listed at about 7 lbs., so a little surgery was in order! I love this lens handheld from the kayak or next to me on those moosey back logging roads, but it can get heavy quick. So I decided to put the lens on a diet and I cut the lens hood in half, put the nice rubber ring back on the hood, and saved 6 ounces. Now that doesn't sound like a lot, but every little bit helps! I did test the lens beforehand several times in different situations involving shooting in the direction of the Sun, (before I shortened the hood) by not using the hood at all, and I didn't see any appreciable lens flair to worry about. So I'm left with enough hood (3 in.) to help protect the lens against bumps and scrapes, and still keep it clean with a LensCoat soft lens cap over the hood. Not for the faint of heart!  :wink:
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:25 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Yeah, it's an all metal hood. I use the lens coat soft hood because it weighs less and it also packs flat leaving a lot more room in the bag.

by jjdvm@squidpro.com on Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:24 pm
jjdvm@squidpro.com
Forum Contributor
I own the Sigma and also the Nikon 200-400 mm lens.  The much lighter lens hood that comes with the Nikon 200-400 mm lens is a perfect fit for the Sigma 150-600.
Judy Johnson

by bartley123 on Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:52 pm
bartley123
Forum Contributor
I did the same surgery on 2 versions of the 500mm F4, not for weight reasons but for size. Could hardly fit the lens in the front seat while roadhunting with the original hood on. If my memory serves me right the original hood was 9in.  and I chopped it in half as did you Mark. Never found a problem with the shorter length.
Don Cooper
Western Mass.
http://www.doncooper.photos

by NNL33543 on Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:53 pm
NNL33543
Forum Contributor
Amazon has a screw in metal lens hood 105mm that weighs 5.6 ozs.
https://www.amazon.com/FITTEST-Telephot ... hood+metal

by david fletcher on Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:42 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
jjdvm@squidpro.com wrote:I own the Sigma and also the Nikon 200-400 mm lens.  The much lighter lens hood that comes with the Nikon 200-400 mm lens is a perfect fit for the Sigma 150-600.
Judy Johnson
which is also the same as the 300 2.8. VR Nikon lens..  Nikon hood about 15mm longer but haven't checked out whether that'll vignet at the 150 end, but don't really expect an issue.  is lighter and the Nikon cap better so did a swop.  
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Mike in O on Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:08 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
I don't think I will be cutting my hood on the Sony 500 or 300, I have heard various cost estimates for replacement of $1200-$1500.

by david fletcher on Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:51 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Mark Picard wrote:Today I happened to have my hood off the Sigma 150-600mm "S" lens, and realized just how heavy it is! Now, don't get me wrong, along with the awesome build quality and performance of this lens, the hood is equally well made and machined and you could probably drive you car over it without damaging it. However - it weighs 11.7 ounces! That's almost a pound folks! The lens is listed at about 7 lbs., so a little surgery was in order! I love this lens handheld from the kayak or next to me on those moosey back logging roads, but it can get heavy quick. So I decided to put the lens on a diet and I cut the lens hood in half, put the nice rubber ring back on the hood, and saved 6 ounces. Now that doesn't sound like a lot, but every little bit helps! I did test the lens beforehand several times in different situations involving shooting in the direction of the Sun, (before I shortened the hood) by not using the hood at all, and I didn't see any appreciable lens flair to worry about. So I'm left with enough hood (3 in.) to help protect the lens against bumps and scrapes, and still keep it clean with a LensCoat soft lens cap over the hood. Not for the faint of heart!  :wink:

Hey Mark.  Did you sell your 200-400.  the hood fits.  (sure I remember you posting with the 200-400 F4 some years back). 
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Mark Picard on Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:20 pm
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
david fletcher wrote:
Mark Picard wrote:Today I happened to have my hood off the Sigma 150-600mm "S" lens, and realized just how heavy it is! Now, don't get me wrong, along with the awesome build quality and performance of this lens, the hood is equally well made and machined and you could probably drive you car over it without damaging it. However - it weighs 11.7 ounces! That's almost a pound folks! The lens is listed at about 7 lbs., so a little surgery was in order! I love this lens handheld from the kayak or next to me on those moosey back logging roads, but it can get heavy quick. So I decided to put the lens on a diet and I cut the lens hood in half, put the nice rubber ring back on the hood, and saved 6 ounces. Now that doesn't sound like a lot, but every little bit helps! I did test the lens beforehand several times in different situations involving shooting in the direction of the Sun, (before I shortened the hood) by not using the hood at all, and I didn't see any appreciable lens flair to worry about. So I'm left with enough hood (3 in.) to help protect the lens against bumps and scrapes, and still keep it clean with a LensCoat soft lens cap over the hood. Not for the faint of heart!  :wink:

Hey Mark.  Did you sell your 200-400.  the hood fits.  (sure I remember you posting with the 200-400 F4 some years back). 

Yeah Dave, the lens with the hood is sold long ago. I initially replaced it with the newer version of the 80-400mm, and since have sold that in favor of the Sigma S. 

Also, the hood for the 200-500mm Nikon zoom doesn't actually fit the Sigma "S" version of the 150-600mm lens - it might fit the "C" version  which is 10mm smaller in diameter than the "S" version. 
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops

9 posts |