E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
By far the best comparison video I've seen between the 1Dx2, D5 and a9:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xo9qKPVhEk

by steve white on Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:57 pm
steve white
Forum Contributor
That is a very good video. Since you shoot both Nikon and Sony, what are your thoughts on the a9? Are you getting one? Just curious.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:33 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
steve white wrote:That is a very good video. Since you shoot both Nikon and Sony, what are your thoughts on the a9? Are you getting one? Just curious.
My Nikon system is my wildlife/action system.  Until Sony gets native mount big lenses, it wouldn't be a consideration.  And if Sony's A-mount big lens, their 500 f/4 is any indication of the price of their future 500 f/4, the price would be about $15K which is also prohibitive.

by Mike in O on Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:45 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
steve white wrote:That is a very good video. Since you shoot both Nikon and Sony, what are your thoughts on the a9? Are you getting one? Just curious.
My Nikon system is my wildlife/action system.  Until Sony gets native mount big lenses, it wouldn't be a consideration.  And if Sony's A-mount big lens, their 500 f/4 is any indication of the price of their future 500 f/4, the price would be about $15K which is also prohibitive.
The A mount 500f4 is $8,000 in Japan (got mine new for less than 9,000 in the US)  List price is ridiculous.

by Neilyb on Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:04 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
If Sigma would release their 500 f4 OS in E-Mount I think this would boost A9 sales more than a Sony 500 f4 (which as stated would be over priced).

by Phil Shaw on Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:01 pm
Phil Shaw
Forum Contributor
Member #:00106
I sold my 1Dx and Canon 100-400 mk2 a few weeks ago and replaced them with a Sony A9 plus Sony 100-400 G for a 3-week trip to Botswana and South Africa, from which I have just returned.

I struggled with the A9 at first because I was trying to use it how I had used Canon and Nikon bodies in the past. Once I got past that, started to trust the camera and tweek the way I had it set-up, I was amazed.

I haven't used the Nikon D850 or the Nikon D5, but I've owned most of the other high-end digital camera bodies (Canon and Nikon) and what I can say is that for birds in flight, or other action, this is the best camera I have ever used. The way in which the A9 was set up in the video (to make it similar to the 1Dx2 and the D5) does the camera a complete injustice for action photography.
Phil Shaw
Essex, UK
[color=#008000][url]http://www.naturephotopro.com[/url][/color]

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:48 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Phil Shaw wrote:I sold my 1Dx and Canon 100-400 mk2 a few weeks ago and replaced them with a Sony A9 plus Sony 100-400 G for a 3-week trip to Botswana and South Africa, from which I have just returned.

I struggled with the A9 at first because I was trying to use it how I had used Canon and Nikon bodies in the past.  Once I got past that, started to trust the camera and tweek the way I had it set-up, I was amazed.

I haven't used the Nikon D850 or the Nikon D5, but I've owned most of the other high-end digital camera bodies (Canon and Nikon) and what I can say is that for birds in flight, or other action, this is the best camera I have ever used.  The way in which the A9 was set up in the video (to make it similar to the 1Dx2 and the D5) does the camera a complete injustice for action photography.
Yeah, the Sony AF system is a completely different beast and very capable if the user bothers to take the time to really get educated on which essentially none of the traditional DSLR reviewers have bothered to do.

7 posts |