« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 15 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:24 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Sony, earlier this week and overshadowed by the iPhone X announcement (who schedules their announcements the same day as Apple - what a great way to get lost in the noise), announced the RX10 IV.  This may just be the best camera to date for those looking for a single camera that can do landscapes all the way up to birds with good AF, even for moving subjects, high frame rate, and good image quality.  If you are really strapped for weight for a trip to the Falklands, Antarctica, or an African Safari or just want to travel as light as possible while being able to shoot subjects from 24mm to 600mm, this might be your camera.  20mp, 1" sensor, 24-600 f/2.4-4 lens, similar AF to the a9 (365 phase detect pints covering 65% of the frame), even the same CPU as the a9, 24 FPS, 112 frame RAW buffer, 4K/30FPS/100MB/s...  It ain't cheap though.  Here's a hands on...

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/0348363938/hands-on-with-the-sony-cyber-shot-dsc-rx10-iv

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:19 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I don't understand the battery life of 400 shots per charge. At 24fps, the battery can't drain in just a few (16) seconds. Can you explain what it really is?

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/03483 ... iv?slide=7

Here's a bit more on the camera:

https://www.dpreview.com/samples/352933 ... es-gallery

https://www.dpreview.com/news/155409349 ... fps-bursts

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

Last edited by SantaFeJoe on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

by prairiewing on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:32 am
prairiewing
Lifetime Member
Member #:00208
I agree with EJ . When I read the announcement I thought here's the camera or at least the forerunner of the camera I'll probably carry someday when weight becomes a more significant issue for me. Nice to know it's out there.
Pat Gerlach

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:38 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
With a top shutter speed of 1/32,000s, if the light is sufficient, I can imagine the hummingbird images that it would be capable of when combined with 24fps!

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Mike in O on Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:08 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:With a top shutter speed of 1/32,000s, if the light is sufficient, I can imagine the hummingbird images that it would be capable of when combined with 24fps!

Joe
It is weird using an EVF refreshing at 120 fps (99II) shooting hummers, it is like watching in slow motion.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:12 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
SantaFeJoe wrote:I don't understand the battery life of 400 shots per charge. At 24fps, the battery can't drain in just a few (16) seconds. Can you explain what it really is?
Joe, the battery life would be dramatically higher in the scenario that you depict.  the vast majority of battery drain on a mirrorless camera is due to the EVF and LCD.  In your scenario there isn't a lot of on time for those.  If you shoot continuously like that you should easily go well over 1000.  As a point of comparison, the a7R Mk II is rated at a CIPA rating of 320 shots and that's about what I get under normal shooting.  But when I do a timelpase sequence of a 1000 shots seperated by 4 second, I still have 63% remaining at the end of that.  That's over an hour of continuous shooting but no power draw by the EVF and minimal power draw by the rear LCD.

Another point of reference is the Sony a9, an action oriented camera.  It has a CIPA rating of 650 shots but sports photographers are getting in the neighborhood of 2500 - that's more like the usage model you described.

Here is a description of the CIPA testing scenario:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53606885

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:03 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Thanks, E.J.
I see that it also means that the lens is fully zoomed in and out for each shot and that half of the shots must use flash.

Joe

by Neilyb on Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:35 pm
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
When I saw the announcement I though this might be the camera to take on family holidays, with the odd wildlife shot possible. The price is however a bit steep.

by Charlie Woodrich on Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:35 pm
Charlie Woodrich
Forum Contributor
Great little camera!  I bought the V3 for the wife and while we are out shooting, more often than not I'm jealous of the versatility she has.  However the focus tracking leaves something to be desired.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:01 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Charlie Woodrich wrote:Great little camera!  I bought the V3 for the wife and while we are out shooting, more often than not I'm jealous of the versatility she has.  However the focus tracking leaves something to be desired.
That's the major upgrade in the IV compared to the III - it now uses phase detect AF not contrast detect.

by Mike in O on Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:13 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Charlie Woodrich wrote:Great little camera!  I bought the V3 for the wife and while we are out shooting, more often than not I'm jealous of the versatility she has.  However the focus tracking leaves something to be desired.
That's the major upgrade in the IV compared to the III - it now uses phase detect AF not contrast detect.

Does it use phase on sensor only or hybrid contrast and pdaf?

by Bill Chambers on Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:11 am
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
Wow, this looks like a really nice set-up. My question - is the optical stabilization something that can be turned off for using the camera on a tripod? Second question - the remote shutter release looks like it just plugs in, unlike the screw in type I'm using on my D810. A plug in seems very squirrely at best as I seem to be continually catching my release on stuff with my current set-up. Has anyone ever used a plug in release and, if so, did you have issues because of it? Thanks Folks!
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:44 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Bill Chambers wrote:Wow, this looks like a really nice set-up.  My question - is the optical stabilization something that can be turned off for using the camera on a tripod?   Second question - the remote shutter release looks like it just plugs in, unlike the screw in type I'm using on  my D810.  A plug in seems very squirrely at best as I seem to be continually catching my release on stuff with my current set-up.  Has anyone ever used a plug in release and, if so, did you have issues because of it?  Thanks Folks!
Yes you can turn OSS off, Sony cameras use the USB3 port for the remote or you can trigger it via an app on your smart phone.  Never had a problem personally with a cable release that uses the USB 3 port but then I haven't really had issues with them catching on things ;)

by Bill Chambers on Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:56 am
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
Thanks E.J., as always!
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:33 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
A recent review:

https://www.cameralabs.com/sony-cyber-s ... iv-review/

Joe

15 posts |