« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:59 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Is anyone using this tripod? I'm thinking of getting away from the Systematic series and don't need the center plate or leveling base. The center column is not really needed and probably would be removed at the joint. The price is also right at $799, if that doesn't change. I also like the new G-lock Ultra. I know it doesn't have the new style foot, but that isn't important to me. I'm wondering about torsional rigidity at the spider compared to the Systematic tripods. Any input is appreciated.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... aneer.html

This is probably the comparable Systematic tripod. It has a higher weight rating:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... tml?sts=pi

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Wildflower-nut on Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:45 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
I don't know about torsional strength but for another half pound you get the 3543xls which is 20 inches taller without a center post. 60" is too short for me (I'm 5'11" tall) particularly if I am working on a slope.The center plate lets you go flat to the ground which is why I want it. I remember the days when we were cutting columns with a hack saw in order to go flat. I'm not a big fan of the new foot either. Guess I'm an old guy set in his ways.

by ChrisRoss on Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:24 pm
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
Fundamentally even if it is rigid the extra joint with the centre column gives another place for movement to occur. I believe they come with a ground level set to allow removal of the centre column and it will depend on how rigidly that is connected to the spider assembly.

The latest systematic tripods have newly designed castings which are triangulated for extra rigidity. I recall Greg Downing doing pullups on one of them on a post here so they seem to be pretty solid. I have the 3542XLS and it is exceptionally rigid. Just looking at the mountaineer it looks smaller in cross section and not as solid. Whether that makes a difference to you depends on what you plan to use it for, how big is the lens, using fully extended etc.

Refer to this, Figure 7:

https://cdn.manfrotto.com/media/catalog ... 110018.pdf

it looks like the ground level set still uses the locking clamp of the centre column, which does not seem a solid as a plate clamped into the spider like the systematic.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:10 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
The price dropped $20 since I first posted. I am considering it because of the lighter weight, mostly. I am currently using a GT3532LS. The GT3541L reaches about the same height and is only about 2" higher at ground level setting. On the GT3541L, the center column can be shortened to drop it to about 6.3" and the collapsed length is only 23.2", which is also a positive feature for compact carrying and storage. Regarding the joint at the center column, Gitzo isn't like other tripods. They are really rigid, as is the center column, unlike many manufacturers tripods. I'm curious about the torsional rigidity. I would be using it with a 500mm f4 lens and 1.4 TC plus body and fully extended most of the time. No ground level or uphill shooting. Getting too old for ground level except with an articulating screen!!! I also like the G-lock Ultra with the additional sealing on this tripod.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Wildflower-nut on Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:14 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
a poor photographer ignores the rules
a good photographer follows the rules
a great photographer knows when to break the rules

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:56 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Someone was asking if I had purchased this tripod yesterday here on this thread. I didn't reply right away and the question was removed. The answer is no, I didn't buy it. I stuck with the 3430lsv with a flat head, but when I moved to image stabilized lenses, I pretty much quit using tripods. I did buy the Peak Design carbon fiber tripod and the universal head mount for it. The only time I recall using it was for a pair of cooperative coyotes at Bosque because my arms got tired of holding up the lens. I bought a Sirui carbon fiber gimbal for it and the combo is light and sturdy. I still have not used it yet. VR/IS is amazing and has allowed me to lighten my load a lot, especially with the Nikon PF lenses and the new Nikon 180-600mm z lens. I like the flexibility of not using a tripod and still getting sharp images. The Peak Design tripod is amazingly sturdy and, when combined with VR/IS lenses, it is plenty solid enough. Too bad we didn't have this kind of equipment, along with high ISO capabilities and digital memory cards when I started out. Everything is so much easier nowadays.

Joe

by Karl Egressy on Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:36 am
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
I have four tripods and one monopod and a few heads and I use none. Lately I have been using a shoulder stock I made and it allows me to keep the lens/camera on target for much longer time. I also have a SharpSooter shoulder stock made in USA. It is great for tripod/monopod substitute as well.

7 posts |