« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by svalley on Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:05 pm
svalley
Forum Contributor
I have been getting photos with pretty severe vignetting from my D810. Vignette control setting is off in the menu. This is happening with a Nikkor 24mm f2 and also a 500mm. Both lenses are normal FX. The odd thing is it does not show up that I can see in the camera LCD viewer. I shoot RAW. 

I don't know if this is a camera flaw or just a setting I have set incorrectly.

Thanks,

Steve Valley

by svalley on Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:22 pm
svalley
Forum Contributor
I for got to mention that many on many of the images the vignetting is very light rather than dark.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:27 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The vignetting settings in the camera only apply to JPEGs. Light falloff in the corners is primarily a function of the lens but also a bit of the microlens design on the sensor. Most don't see it because they have lens correction turned on in their RAW converter. My guess is that you don't. Virtually every RAW converter out there has this capability but you have to turn it on. It works as long as the RAW converter has a profile for the lens you are using in its database. If you use Nikon's own software for RAW conversion then the in camera setting is carried over and in that case you should probably turn it on in camera, otherwise it doesn't matter, you just need to set your RAW converter for lens correction.

by svalley on Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:01 pm
svalley
Forum Contributor
Thanks E. J.

I'm using ARC and I do have lens correction turned on. The Correction Amount >Vignetting does not seem to correct the effect very much. Ok, I just realized that my Post Crop Vignetting in the Effects section of ARC was set to +20 and that was also causing all the images in Bridge to have light vignetting. Changed that and updated my previews and I seem to be back in business.

I knew someone here would save me and also 10000 shots from my recent trip!

THANK YOU many times over!

Steve

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:03 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
That will do it as Bridge uses the ACR settings to generate its previews.

by Tim Zurowski on Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:13 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
After reading this thread I checked my ACR lens corrections settings, and the distortion and vignetting controls are set at the default settings, which is 100 for each. When you say "you have to turn it on" I assume that is checking the box for "Enable Profile Corrections"? Is the default setting of 100 a good choice for these settings?

6 posts |