TS-E 135mm f/4 Macro

$2200 each

Also a 85mm f/1.4L and a new EOS M called the 100M and also a new macro flash

Details on all here:
http://tinyurl.com/y9n3ssyj

by Tom Robbins on Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:41 pm
Tom Robbins
Forum Contributor
I pre-ordered the TS-E 50mm f/2.8 Macro this morning. The old 45mm version sees way more use than my 24 and 90mm versions do but, after years of use, the shift gearing is wearing out. This, despite being repaired several years ago. Nothing lasts forever.

by Wildflower-nut on Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:13 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
135mm on order so I can retire my 90 t/s with a 2x for macro. We'll see

by SantaFeJoe on Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:24 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Here is a relevant link listing other links!!!:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News ... News=21162

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Marshall Black on Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:04 pm
Marshall Black
Lifetime Member
Member #:00417
So, Tom & Wildflower-nut, have you received/used them yet?
I'm interested (but scared of the price), and am thinking of 50mm.
I have 90mm and can't see the improvement will be worth the swap. It's my favourite lens.
Why have the 135mm when the 90 + 1.4 is the same.
Cheers 

by Tom Robbins on Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:04 pm
Tom Robbins
Forum Contributor
Marshall Black wrote:So, Tom & Wildflower-nut, have you received/used them yet?
I have 90mm and can't see the improvement will be worth the swap. It's my favourite lens.
Cheers 
Haven't heard a word yet, Marshall. Someone in Australia got a copy a couple days ago, supposedly.

The 135mm should be considerably sharper than the 90 + 1.4 combination, but I have the 1.4x II extender only. Intend to also get the new 85mm since the gearing my old 90mm is wearing out, but will limp along with it until the cost of the 50mm has been absorbed and sort of forgotten.  

by Wildflower-nut on Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:05 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
Marshall Black wrote:So, Tom & Wildflower-nut, have you received/used them yet?
Cheers 

I've run the 90 with a 2x pretty much since the lens became available for all my flower work. I'm hoping to run the 135 with a 1.4x.  This gets me up into my preferred focal length range.  The added magnification the 1.4x gives is not important to me, it is the working distance I'm after and narrow view for background control.  This combination should be sharper.  The MTF charts (TDP) show this to be a very sharp lens compared to the 90 and the 1.4x should degrade this less than the 2x did. The camera does not see the extender as it shows f4 even though it is 5.6 with the extender.  Manual says you cannot use multipliers and this is probably why the camera does not see the multiplier as the software was not programed for this combination.  Have not taken enough pictures to say for sure but so far it seems ok with 1.4x.  I have not tried 2x.  My guess is that the problems, if any, will come at the extremes.  I can't remember what model body it was but one camera I had with the 90mm combination you had to adjust the ISO as the camera would routinely underexpose by about 2/3 of a stop.

The 135mm lens is physically large and heavy.  It is also internal focus so I'm guessing the focal length gets shorter as you focus closer.  Not totally sure how to check that but I hope someone who does will write it up.  The new 90 is 2 lb vs the old at 1.25 and 77mm vs 58mm filters.  The 50 is also much heavier than the 45.  I have the set and it is a lot to travel with.  I doubt I will replace my 45 and 90 both for $$ and having the additional weight to lug around.  We'll see what the posted reviews show as to whether the additional sharpness, and they should be sharper, outweighs the hurdles.

by Marshall Black on Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:49 pm
Marshall Black
Lifetime Member
Thanks for the replies.
Tom, I had slight problem with the gears/knobs on the 90, sent it in for service and got back a lovely lens. Wasn't expensive either.

Wildflower-nut, I have 90 plus 24 ii, pretty happy with both, so 50 would seem a sensible gap to fill, I only have 40 stm before I use 70-300 between 28 and 90.
Weight looks like an issue there though, and price. Would also like to replace the 90 for better quality, and switchable rotation on the tilt/shift. But won't get both...
unless the lottery pays me money, but I suppose I will have to start doing the lottery....ah well.
Thought about the 135 for a while, but I don't think I would use it enough to be able to justify it.

Let's let others try them, if they can get one, before the decision is made.
Cheers
Marshall

by Tom Robbins on Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:17 pm
Tom Robbins
Forum Contributor
Took delivery of my TS-E 50mm from B&H yesterday. Won't be running light through it until the outdoor temperature rises above zero fahrenheit and the wind subsides a bit. This could take a few days according to the weatherman.

by Marshall Black on Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:43 pm
Marshall Black
Lifetime Member
Hi Tom, looking forward to better weather so you can get using it.

My 50 is on order (I'm on a wait list). Nearly changed to get the 90 when I saw they had one in stock, someone beat me to it!

10 posts |