« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by Markus Jais on Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:57 am
Markus Jais
Lifetime Member
Member #:01791
Hello,

I am looking for a good (and not too expensive) tripod for lightweight travel and hiking in the mountains.

It should be light but tall enough (at least 150cm).

It should be stable enough to carry a camera like a EOS 7D + 4/70-200 or my Nikon Field Scope ED 50 (about 600g).
It is not necessary that it carries heavier lenses or my bigger Swarovski scope.

What do you recommend as a tripod and maybe a suitable head?
The head should allow for moving the scope smoothly. For photography I can probably carry my Arca tripod head.

Markus

by OntPhoto on Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:51 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Look further down the page and you'll see my thread on 'looking for the lightest [and lowest priced] tripod for a 500 f4 lens'.

https://www.naturescapes.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=269778

Here's the story.  Looking for very light and compact setup for walking around or hiking.  The 500 f4 lens and camera and tripod would defeat the purpose of light and compact.  If I were to carry such gear, how can I minimize the impact?

Part 1 of the equation was a backpack that had a slim profile and very compact.  The Think Tank Glass Limo gives you the bare minimum.  It carries your gear safely and is comfortable on the back.  It is a minimalist backpack without sacrificing protection and comfort. 

Part 2 was the tripod. What tripod could I find that would safely hold a 500 lens and camera but would be light enough to not notice its weight carrying it in the field?  At the same time not cost too much.  If money is no objective, go for the Gitzo.  I found my answer in the Benro TMA28C.  Very light, compact and cost about $400 CAD.  I even tried the Benro TMA38C but you notice the weight right away.  It's thicker, heavier and made for something like a 500 lens.  But I have found the TMA28C gets the job done.  From time to time I do question whether it's going to fall over or not because of all the advice about tripods that I have read. So far, it's very solid.

Part 2 B.  With a light ball head (I have the Benro B3 but would have chosen another one in hindsight - 2 tightening knobs, not the most friendly to use) and Gitzo SideKick. 

With the above setup, I can go for long walks and even hikes.  Here's the difference between the Benro tripod and the Gitzo.  Benro requires  more turns to tighten and loosen the twist locks.  Gitzo would be faster and more efficient to use if you are in a hurry.  Also, a lighter weight tripod like the Benro TMA28C, due to its skinnier legs and light weight (maybe also due to the legs being easier to fold together while the Gitzo 3530 legs stay in place - harder to bring the legs together while they are spread apart - more as you hold on them with your hands  them while over the shoulder) makes for less steady over the shoulder carrying but I still manage OK.  There's nothing like the mass of a Gitzo 3530 or larger tripod to make carrying a 500 lens over the shoulder a more comfortable and better balanced experience.  But if your overall goal is light weight, as well as keeping cost down, I would not dismiss something like the Benro TMA28C.  It may go against conventional wisdom but it works for me.  The only thing I cannot answer is what is the long-term durability of such a lightweight tripod for carrying a 500 lens over many years?  I think it will be OK.

Last edited by OntPhoto on Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Wildflower-nut on Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:07 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
take a look at the FEISOL CT-3342. Not as compact folded up as some but I like it and it has fewer sections (stronger and more stable) and very light weight. Comes very close to your working height at 2.4 lbs.

by Neilyb on Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:23 pm
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
You can try out my Sirui when we go looking for boar Markus, I used it in Sri Lanka and Scotland with the 5D4 and various lenses.

by Dave Courtenay on Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:58 am
Dave Courtenay
Forum Contributor
I have been using Sirui for a while, Took one of their small carbon tripods to Everest base camp and it was great but too small for your needs, I also use their ball head and monopod for sports shooting and for the money are great value and well made

Dave
http://www.wildlifeinfocus.com

A Brit-A Broad

by Stephen Feingold on Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:12 am
Stephen Feingold
Forum Contributor
B&H Photo lists the Benro TMA28C as no longer available. I have the Induro CLT 203 which is sturdy enough for a 500mm lens. It weighs 3.5 lbs.The max. height w/o center column is 134cm but goes to 160cm w/center column, but would be higher with a head.  It comes with a quality carry case, carry strap, additional short column, and tools.  It is considerably more stable than Sirui and most other comparable tripods I could compare it to at B&H.

Edit: for smoothness, nothing beats a fluid video head, but is not compact. Consider Manfrotto Befree Live Video Head. $99 0.8lbs. 

by OntPhoto on Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:37 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Stephen Feingold wrote:B&H Photo lists the Benro TMA28C as no longer available. I have the Induro CLT 203 which is sturdy enough for a 500mm lens. It weighs 3.5 lbs.The max. height w/o center column is 134cm but goes to 160cm w/center column, but would be higher with a head.  It comes with a quality carry case, carry strap, additional short column, and tools.  It is considerably more stable than Sirui and most other comparable tripods I could compare it to at B&H.

Edit: for smoothness, nothing beats a fluid video head, but is not compact. Consider Manfrotto Befree Live Video Head. $99 0.8lbs. 
It's still available here in Ontario, Canada.  In Canada you get a 5 Year warranty.  In the USA, you get 3 Year Warranty which extends to 5 Years upon registration.

https://www.vistek.ca/store/ProPhotoTripods/279740/benro-mach3-series-carbon-fibre-tripod-2-twist-lock-4-sections-tr.aspx

by OntPhoto on Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:04 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Photo of setup with Benro TMA28C, Benro B3 ballhead, Wimberley SideKick, 500 lens.  I have since added a shoulder pad to the tripod.  If you want something just a bit more solid, there is the TMA38C - a bit heavier tripod.

The Benro TMA28C is not a tripod recommended for a big 500 lens.  Use with a 500 lens at your own risk. However, it works for me and was selected for its lightweight and compactness.  Don't really like the B3 ballhead as it's a double knob locking type.  DPR did a great review of several ballheads in this price range and I quite agree with their assessment of the B3. The Siriu ballhead was much better rated with its single locking knob (same as my Markins M20). 

8 posts |