All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 98 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:31 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
calvin1calvin wrote:Sounds like a good upgrade from an 810.  Not much written on the battery options.  Understand the use of the D5 battery, but those of us with D500s would like to know if the new en-el 15a batteries will work on a D500 or use the same charger.  I plan to upgrade and sell one of my d500s sometime early next year, let the first run of cameras and firmware work out any issues, but want to keep a d500 for a backup.  I don't relish the thought of having multiple types of batteries, chargers, or having purchasing 2 D850s.  I am curious what my wife thinks about 2 new cameras?
Same charger, same battery as D500

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:32 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
bradmangas wrote:This is what caught my eye on the specs.

Automatic Focus Shift and Negative Digitizer Modes
Reaping the benefits of the D850’s high-resolution captures, an Automatic Focus Shift mode expedites working with focus stacking post production techniques by recording up to 300 sequential images within 10 different focus steps while automatically shifting the focus between exposure to achieve a greater depth of field. 
Yup, I have been using this feature on the Phase One XF for the last year and a half.  It completely transforms focus stacking and being able to shoot any scene that is stationary at the sharpest aperture for your lens.

by DChan on Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:38 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
bradmangas wrote:This is what caught my eye on the specs.

Automatic Focus Shift and Negative Digitizer Modes
Reaping the benefits of the D850’s high-resolution captures, an Automatic Focus Shift mode expedites working with focus stacking post production techniques by recording up to 300 sequential images within 10 different focus steps while automatically shifting the focus between exposure to achieve a greater depth of field. 
Yup, I have been using this feature on the Phase One XF for the last year and a half.  It completely transforms focus stacking and being able to shoot any scene that is stationary at the sharpest aperture for your lens.
Even the lowly Olympus m43 has it.

by andre paul on Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:41 pm
andre paul
Forum Contributor
do you guys expect a significant price drop for the d810 ?
i might consider getting a second d810 body ......

andre
andre reichmann
**sao paulo-brazil**

by Alan Murphy on Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:22 pm
Alan Murphy
Lifetime Member
Member #:00014
Is there any info out there yet on noise comparison between the D810 and the D850?
Alan Murphy
NSN 0014
www.alanmurphyphotography.com

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:25 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Alan Murphy wrote:Is there any info out there yet on noise comparison between the D810 and the D850?
There is estimated dynamic range info which is almost directly correlatable to noise.  It shows that the D810 and D850 have nearly identical Dmax from ISO 64 to ISO 800.  After that the D850 has a slight edge on the D810 which should result in noise equal or better than the D810 but with more pixels:
http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/P ... hart.aspx/

By switiching to a backside illuminated sensor from the more traditional technology of the D810 36mp sensor, the 45mp sensor should have better well efficiency despite the smaller pixel sites.  I would expect any difference to be nearly undetectable in real world use.

by DChan on Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:01 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Nikon Japan says the reason for using backside illuminated sensor was:
to give more flexibility in the chip's wiring, to achieve the high speed they were after.
Here:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/n ... TM#q-and-a

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:09 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
This says pretty much the same thing about the backside illuminated sensor. Looks like a great low light performer.

https://petapixel.com/2017/08/24/nikon- ... 10-report/

B & H is also going to have two live panel discussions on Monday the 28th and Tuesday the 29th. Info on that and a video review of the D850 here:

Nikon D850 Panel Discussion info and video review

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:41 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Every time a new 35mm DSLR camera comes out with a high megapixel count, you see a lot of things written about how this kills medium format.  Here is that reality check wiht the highest mp cameras from Canon (5DsR), Nikon (D850), Sony (a7R Mk II), and then the best 50mp medium format camera (Fuji GFX), and then the full frame medium format 100mp camera (P1 XF-IQ3100)  (Click on the image below to see it clearly)

by bradmangas on Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:45 pm
bradmangas
Forum Contributor
Anthony Medici wrote:
bradmangas wrote:A dedicated Negative Digitizer mode has also been specifically designed for photographing your film negatives and slides in conjunction with an AF-S Micro NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8G ED lens.
And, unfortunately, from what I've read, this process produces 8 mp jpegs only. 

I doubt I'll use this mode rather than to take the RAW image and process it in post.

This "Negative Digitizer mode" is specifically designed to scan film. So no, no one would be using it as their image capturing mode. My main interest is the focus stacking and how it will accomplish that. I would be really nice to set specific focus points and then, as with exposure bracketing simply take a quick series of shots as the camera adjusts focus.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:49 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
bradmangas wrote:My main interest is the focus stacking and how it will accomplish that. I would be really nice to set specific focus points and then, as with exposure bracketing simply take a quick series of shots as the camera adjusts focus.
If it is implemented anything like this feature on the Phase One XF camera body, you simply find farthest focus and enter it, then enter closest focus and enter it, then select the number of shots you want in your bracket and then you push a button and the sequence is fully automated and it is done using the electronic shutter with the mirror locked up to not induce vibration due to the rapid sequence of photos being taken by the camera.

by Kerry on Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:05 pm
Kerry
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:If it is implemented anything like this feature on the Phase One XF camera body, you simply find farthest focus and enter it, then enter closest focus and enter it, then select the number of shots you want in your bracket and then you push a button and the sequence is fully automated and it is done using the electronic shutter with the mirror locked up to not induce vibration due to the rapid sequence of photos being taken by the camera.
As someone who does a lot of manual focus stacking--mostly with landscapes, but with macro as well--I have to admit that this feature really intrigues me.  Probably not enough to actually buy the camera or anything, but I really would like to fiddle with it to see how well it works and how easy it is to implement the workflow in the field.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:19 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Kerry wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:If it is implemented anything like this feature on the Phase One XF camera body, you simply find farthest focus and enter it, then enter closest focus and enter it, then select the number of shots you want in your bracket and then you push a button and the sequence is fully automated and it is done using the electronic shutter with the mirror locked up to not induce vibration due to the rapid sequence of photos being taken by the camera.
As someone who does a lot of manual focus stacking--mostly with landscapes, but with macro as well--I have to admit that this feature really intrigues me.  Probably not enough to actually buy the camera or anything, but I really would like to fiddle with it to see how well it works and how easy it is to implement the workflow in the field.
On the order of 50% of my shots with the XF are taken this way.  Once you get used to it, it's fairly natural.

This article hints at how it is done on the D850. 
http://www.techradar.com/news/7-things- ... nikon-d850

by DChan on Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:25 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote: This article hints at how it is done on the D850. 
http://www.techradar.com/news/7-things- ... nikon-d850
Looks like the way Olympus does it but Olympus let you take up to 999 frames. We'll see.

by andre paul on Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:09 pm
andre paul
Forum Contributor
Kerry wrote:

at 1x mag ratio and f11 , focus step of 0,7mm is in the range for avoiding focus banding....

from what i read focus steps will be in the 3mm range at its minimum so for true macro this feature will not be useful, maybe for close ups...at lower mag ratios....

but thats what i read so far about d850. still have to wait and see ....
andre reichmann
**sao paulo-brazil**

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:51 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
andre paul wrote:
Kerry wrote:

at 1x mag ratio and f11 , focus step of 0,7mm is in the range for avoiding focus banding....

from what i read focus steps will be in the 3mm range at its minimum so for true macro this feature will not be useful, maybe for close ups...at lower mag ratios....

Yes at 1:1 that is true but at .5 to 1 it probably becomes useful for Macro.  Personally I think this feature, the way Nikon implemented it, is more useful for landscape and product photography.

by andre paul on Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:11 pm
andre paul
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
andre paul wrote:
Kerry wrote:

Yes at 1:1 that is true but at .5 to 1 it probably becomes useful for Macro.  Personally I think this feature, the way Nikon implemented it, is more useful for landscape and product photography.
yep, agree with yu !!!!!
curious to see how it works and at what magnification ....
andre reichmann
**sao paulo-brazil**

by prairiewing on Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:10 pm
prairiewing
Lifetime Member
Member #:00208
I've read a lot about the D850 in recent days in a number of forums and despite some minor nitpicking this looks like an absolute home run for Nikon. If Nikon had the lenses I've come to rely upon I'd have ordered two D850s in a heartbeat.
Pat Gerlach

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:56 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
prairiewing wrote:I've read a lot about the D850 in recent days in a number of forums and despite some minor nitpicking this looks like an absolute home run for Nikon.  If Nikon had the lenses I've come to rely upon I'd have ordered two D850s in a heartbeat.
What lenses are missing Pat?  Just curious?

by Mark Walrod on Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:24 pm
Mark Walrod
Forum Contributor
E.J., what landscape lens lineup would you recommend from 14mm-135mm? I'm switching back to the D850 from Sony and will consider Sigma, Nikon and Zeiss (not Otus) and prefer primes, but would consider zooms.

Lot's of choices, but I've been away from Nikon for sometime and haven't kept up with lens news.

Thanks

98 posts |