E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
First Nikon D850 problems...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUSt9Dp ... ture=share

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:06 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:First Nikon D850 problems...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUSt9Dp ... ture=share
Good one!!! :lol:

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Richard B. on Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:12 am
Richard B.
Lifetime Member
Member #:01199
Thanks for that! Quick chuckle in the morning.

by david fletcher on Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:28 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Richard B. wrote:Thanks for that! Quick chuckle in the morning.
lol...   :lol:   and at 1m 40s the black cat....
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Neilyb on Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:55 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
david fletcher wrote:
Richard B. wrote:Thanks for that! Quick chuckle in the morning.
lol...   :lol:   and at 1m 40s the black cat....
Hate to think what the 6DII users are phoning with? :)

by bradmangas on Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:21 pm
bradmangas
Forum Contributor
Black cat in coal hole. I need to remember that.

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:04 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
New sample images just posted by DPReview:

https://www.dpreview.com/samples/531030 ... le-gallery

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:13 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
And first impressions:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon- ... s-review/6

Joe

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:00 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Updated photo gallery with RAW downloads availaible:

https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleri ... le-gallery

Joe

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:36 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Already seeing pictures being posted online by users. I had one in my hands last weekend. Feels very familiar since I am a D500 user. Was a little disappointed that the auto focus stacking feature does not recommend the number of shots in the stack based on the focal length and aperture in use - the photographer pretty much has to guess.

by Neilyb on Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:58 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
This camera intrigues me and after hearing so much BS from Canon, and seeing them lag behind in the sensor arena still now, might be tempted to jump ship. I have plenty of Canon glass though. A more all round camera body does not exist, the D850 is what Canon should have done with the 5Dmk4, but instead they crippled it and charged more. They told us with a 30MP sensor more than 7fps would not be possible, only to see Sony release the A99 II a few weeks later... and now the Nikon. :(

I am not a megapixel fanboy, the D850 would be more than anyone should ever need and I do not need 47MP. But the body has a balance of features which suit almost everyone.

by Gary Irwin on Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:20 am
Gary Irwin
Forum Contributor
Yes indeed, lots of discussion about the D850 on the Nikon forums. On one hand now that the hype is beginning to settle down, for anyone that already owns both the D810 and D500, the D850 could be considered a modest upgrade. On the other hand, that Nikon was willing to combine all of it's best technology into a single camera and make it available for a reasonable price is nothing short of remarkable. Aside from it's good-to-excellent performance metrics, the fact that it could be considered a "do-it-all" camera kind of makes it a breakout camera for Nikon.

Thom Hogan's latest D850 blog is interesting in that he used it with success to shoot football with a "modest" (400/2.8 I believe) lens, and simply cropped according to the to needs of the scene. That's pretty remarkable for a camera that will also be known as one of best landscape DSLR's on the market.

As the two-week old owner of a D850 myself, my D500 is already up for sale, which will likely be followed soon by my D810.
Gary Likes Nature.

by david fletcher on Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:25 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Gary Irwin wrote:Yes indeed, lots of discussion about the D850 on the Nikon forums. On one hand now that the hype is beginning to settle down, for anyone that already owns both the D810 and D500, the D850 could be considered a modest upgrade. On the other hand, that Nikon was willing to combine all of it's best technology into a single camera and make it available for a reasonable price is nothing short of remarkable. Aside from it's good-to-excellent performance metrics, the fact that it could be considered a "do-it-all" camera kind of makes it a breakout camera for Nikon.

Thom Hogan's latest D850 blog is interesting in that he used it with success to shoot football with a "modest" (400/2.8 I believe) lens, and simply cropped according to the to needs of the scene. That's pretty remarkable for a camera that will also be known as one of best landscape DSLR's on the market.

As the two-week old owner of a D850 myself, my D500 is already up for sale, which will likely be followed soon by my D810.
Good shout Gary.  worth reading up.  60 yards out on a 300 at F4.  Phew!  What was also interesting was the notes on noise and as expected, the focus nailing the runner.  
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by WJaekel on Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:51 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
Neilyb wrote:This camera intrigues me and after hearing so much BS from Canon, and seeing them lag behind in the sensor arena still now, might be tempted to jump ship. ....
Yes, in many of your posts you have been repeatedly complaining on Canon. So I think it actually would be a good idea to give up that “BS” and jump ship.

Wolfgang

by Neilyb on Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:39 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
WJaekel wrote:
Neilyb wrote:This camera intrigues me and after hearing so much BS from Canon, and seeing them lag behind in the sensor arena still now, might be tempted to jump ship. ....
Yes, in many of your posts you have been repeatedly complaining on Canon. So I think it actually would be a good idea to give up that “BS” and jump ship.

Wolfgang
It is the investment in lenses that make that harder than it seems ;)

by WJaekel on Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:21 am
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
Neilyb wrote:
WJaekel wrote:

Wolfgang
Since their customer base is trapped by the investments, all the big manufactures don’t need to care too much about the internet noise and complaints in the forums whenever their competitors introduce a new camera.  Nevertheless, from all that is known so far by non-biased previews and first-hand testers such as Thom Hogan, who is not driven by the hype and overrated marketing push spread everywhere, the D850 is excellent and you don’t need to be a prophet to predict that it will be rated the best all-around camera presently on the market. And of course I regret, too, that Canon doesn’t offer such an all-in-one beast because of their smart strategy of market segmentation. From the customer’s view it’s great that Nikon presently has pulled all the stops in the D850. Being financially under pressure it remains to be seen, though, if the sale of the D850 compensates for the probably extreme cut in the numbers of D500 they sell and maybe partly of the D5, too. So I hope they haven’t shot in their on foot in the long run since competition is good for all of us.

On the other hand regarding Canon, it’s simple not true that they are not innovative at all, considering i.e. the Dual Pixel AF, DO, 200-400+Ext and shift  lenses etc. From all I know they put video into the DSLR before Nikon followed  and the 5Ds(R) has been the highest res. 36mm DSLR on the market for the past 3 years. But as usual with Canon’s offerings, people complained and said that 50 MP is way too much and not needed in a DSLR while the 47 MP of the Nikon D850 are applauded now, of course.  BTW, comparing the DR of the 5DsR with the 5DIII at DxO or photonstophotos, it’s not correct to attribute the “the worst DR of all DSLRs in the market”  to that camera as I could read elsewhere. And if you look at the stunning photographs i.e of BBC-WPYG Greg Basco whom I got to know and who is very happy with the 5DsR for his work in the dark rainforest, the truth is in the pudding. To give another example of people’s views: After it turned out that the 1 DxII finally has better low ISO DR (and  better video) than the D5 people said, that’s useless for a sport’s camera. So Canon cannot get it right and I really wonder why they’re still #1 in the market by an increasing margin and why countless pros worldwide earn their living with that “BS”. But yes, they’re not the first to put all the bells and whistles of new technology in their cameras all at once and agreed, they’re not quite on Nikon’s or Sony’s level in low ISO DR for their cameras except the 1Dx2. But the 5D IV is a big step in the right direction. By offering 7 fps it has been a very good alround camera, too, at the time it was released a year ago though the price definitely was much too high. I would state that the DR of the 5D IV is more than enough for the overwhelming majority of tasks and I cannot remember a single situation I have been limited by the DR – certainly in contrary to the 5d III if I needed to lift the shadows a lot. At the time of release the 5D4 also has been better than the D 810 in almost all aspects except DR < 200 and 6MP less resolution.  But I really don’t want to start another Canon vs Nikon war here the more as I’m tired of all that read at Dpreview- I just try to put things a bit in perspective.

In fact, the most intriguing thing with the Nikon D 850 is the combination of very high resolution and speed (if using the grip) - not so much the somewhat overrated advantage in low ISO DR. AF for erratic moving subjects generally seems to be a little bit more reliable with the newer Nikons, too, though not much. Certainly the 5dsR2 will be released by next year or so, probably with further improvements of DR and noise etc. But I doubt that Canon will give up its successful strategy of making photogs buy different bodies unless they are forced by the market share. It presently doesn’t look like that. So in fact, you just have the choice to live with that or to sell all your excellent glass and invest in Nikon’s offerings. If you can limit the number of new lenses compared to your Canon glass you maybe can balance the costs,-I don't know. But of course, it's a big loss cost-wise compared to the original purchase and Nikon lenses mostly are a bit more expensive here. So good luck with your decision.

Wolfgang
http://www.wjaekel-foto.de

by Mike in O on Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:37 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
WJaekel wrote:
Neilyb wrote:
WJaekel wrote:

Wolfgang
Since their customer base is trapped by the investments, all the big manufactures don’t need to care too much about the internet noise and complaints in the forums whenever their competitors introduce a new camera.  Nevertheless, from all that is known so far by non-biased previews and first-hand testers such as Thom Hogan, who is not driven by the hype and overrated marketing push spread everywhere, the D850 is excellent and you don’t need to be a prophet to predict that it will be rated the best all-around camera presently on the market. And of course I regret, too, that Canon doesn’t offer such an all-in-one beast because of their smart strategy of market segmentation. From the customer’s view it’s great that Nikon presently has pulled all the stops in the D850. Being financially under pressure it remains to be seen, though, if the sale of the D850 compensates for the probably extreme cut in the numbers of D500 they sell and maybe partly of the D5, too. So I hope they haven’t shot in their on foot in the long run since competition is good for all of us.

On the other hand regarding Canon, it’s simple not true that they are not innovative at all, considering i.e. the Dual Pixel AF, DO, 200-400+Ext and shift  lenses etc. From all I know they put video into the DSLR before Nikon followed  and the 5Ds(R) has been the highest res. 36mm DSLR on the market for the past 3 years. But as usual with Canon’s offerings, people complained and said that 50 MP is way too much and not needed in a DSLR while the 47 MP of the Nikon D850 are applauded now, of course.  BTW, comparing the DR of the 5DsR with the 5DIII at DxO or photonstophotos, it’s not correct to attribute the “the worst DR of all DSLRs in the market”  to that camera as I could read elsewhere. And if you look at the stunning photographs i.e of BBC-WPYG Greg Basco whom I got to know and who is very happy with the 5DsR for his work in the dark rainforest, the truth is in the pudding. To give another example of people’s views: After it turned out that the 1 DxII finally has better low ISO DR (and  better video) than the D5 people said, that’s useless for a sport’s camera. So Canon cannot get it right and I really wonder why they’re still #1 in the market by an increasing margin and why countless pros worldwide earn their living with that “BS”. But yes, they’re not the first to put all the bells and whistles of new technology in their cameras all at once and agreed, they’re not quite on Nikon’s or Sony’s level in low ISO DR for their cameras except the 1Dx2. But the 5D IV is a big step in the right direction. By offering 7 fps it has been a very good alround camera, too, at the time it was released a year ago though the price definitely was much too high. I would state that the DR of the 5D IV is more than enough for the overwhelming majority of tasks and I cannot remember a single situation I have been limited by the DR – certainly in contrary to the 5d III if I needed to lift the shadows a lot. At the time of release the 5D4 also has been better than the D 810 in almost all aspects except DR < 200 and 6MP less resolution.  But I really don’t want to start another Canon vs Nikon war here the more as I’m tired of all that read at Dpreview- I just try to put things a bit in perspective.

In fact, the most intriguing thing with the Nikon D 850 is the combination of very high resolution and speed (if using the grip) - not so much the somewhat overrated advantage in low ISO DR. AF for erratic moving subjects generally seems to be a little bit more reliable with the newer Nikons, too, though not much. Certainly the 5dsR2 will be released by next year or so, probably with further improvements of DR and noise etc. But I doubt that Canon will give up its successful strategy of making photogs buy different bodies unless they are forced by the market share. It presently doesn’t look like that. So in fact, you just have the choice to live with that or to sell all your excellent glass and invest in Nikon’s offerings. If you can limit the number of new lenses compared to your Canon glass you maybe can balance the costs,-I don't know. But of course, it's a big loss cost-wise compared to the original purchase and Nikon lenses mostly are a bit more expensive here. So good luck with your decision.

Wolfgang
http://www.wjaekel-foto.de
The Nikon D90 was 1st DSLR with video.

by DChan on Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:42 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
The customers are not trapped by their investments. They can always sell their gears if they want to. Buy a D850, sell the D500; Buy the Sigma 500 f4 and sell the Nikon 500 f4, etc., etc.. It's not like many are not doing that already. And because of that, manufacturers do need to pay attention to their customers (apparently some do better than the other in that regard). Then of course one can shoot with both Nikon and Canon if one can afford to. Who knows. Maybe the next Canon would be much better than the D850. At the end of the day, do you really need to switch system?? Or you just want to??

by WJaekel on Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:37 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
DChan wrote:The customers are not trapped by their investments. They can always sell their gears if they want to. Buy a D850, sell the D500; Buy the Sigma 500 f4 and sell the Nikon 500 f4, etc., etc.. It's not like many are not doing that already. And because of that, manufacturers do need to pay attention to their customers (apparently some do better than the other in that regard). Then of course one can shoot with both Nikon and Canon if one can afford to. Who knows. Maybe the next Canon would be much better than the D850. At the end of the day, do you really need to switch system?? Or you just want to??
I  just replied to Neilyb's frequent complaints on Canon's alleged shortcomings and "BS" censure above and his inner conflict to switch because of the huge investment in the glass. Of course, it's easier to switch or upgrade within the given system but I still stand with my opinion that a lot of photogs are reluctant to jump ship in one or the other direction because of their arsenal of lenses and the financial loss to sell it. I also think that the manufacturers know that and count on this. That said, I myself don't plan to switch systems for now. For the most part I'm happy with my 5d IV, 5Dsr, 1Dx2 and 7d2 though admittedly it would be nice Canon would offer the combination of speed and very high resolution in just one camera, too, which could replace 2 or 3 of the bodies.

Wolfgang

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:39 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Let's take it back to talking about the D850 rather than individuals and other brands...

98 posts |