All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by ChrisRoss on Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:10 am
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
Hi all,

don't know if too many people shoot OM-D here, but worth a shot.  Currently travelling and found when I mounted the 60mm macro to my OM-D Em-5 MkII , it didn't recognise the lens, screen was black, camera went to manual focus, but taking the lens cap off changed the shutter speed when in Av mode, so meter was functioning it appears.   Mounted the 12-40mm f2.8 back and it worked fine.  Thought, ah must be a lens issue, hope it's still under warranty!

Then next day tried my 7-14mm Panasonic, it did exactly the same thing, so looking like a camera problem as the likelihood of two different lenses having the same issue seems quite slim, but the 12-40mm still works fine!

The only thing I can think of is perhaps the 12-40mm uses a different pin to register with the camera.  I did note while fiddling that 60mm briefly flashed an image on the screen a couple of times, but after that I couldn't get any response which makes me a think a contact issue might be the problem.  I've wiped the contacts with a microfiber cloth, but they look perfectly clean.  Probably need to take all lenses and body to repair centre I guess?

Any thoughts on the problem?
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:54 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Are there any firmware updates that haven't been done on either the camera or the lenses?

by ChrisRoss on Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:33 am
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
I think probably yes, on the camera, but they have been operating happily for a year at least. Probably would not hurt to try updating.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:25 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
It's just that there may be a bug that has already been addressed that you suddenly ran into. So I'd make sure lenses and bodies are fully updated before moving to more drastic measures like sending it all in for repair.

by DChan on Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:04 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
I shoot OMD - same camera and lenses as yours - but haven't experienced anything like you did before and after the latest firmware update. So, good luck !

by DMcLarty on Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:47 pm
DMcLarty
Lifetime Member
Member #:00155
Hi Chris

do you see any image in the Electronic View Finder  this might indicate the LCD screen issue (a known issue with some Olympus units with the swing out LCD) 

a couple things to try do would be a complete reset of the menu/camera this will default all of your settings in case you set something in error with the little buttons we have.  done that been there LOL

clean the electronic tabs with a small pencil eraser this will get rid of even the slightest amount of oil /hand smear ect. same as on all cameras.

I have read as well to check the lens locking pin if the pin does not engage the screen may act like you are seeing. Check the lens itself does not have a small partial of dust /and in the pin hole on the lens. I know when I have my cameras on and push the release button the screen goes blank.

hope you get it going 

Doug
The McLarty's :)
Lethbridge Alberta    
Rankin Inlet Nunavut Canada
In the Heart of the Canadian Arctic
Twitter @DadRankin

by DMcLarty on Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:26 pm
DMcLarty
Lifetime Member
Member #:00155
I started to play with my EM5 and EM1 and was able to pretty well see the same as you did a couple of times.

when I mounted a lens with the release pin in and then mounted the lens I got very close what you described.  The LCD was black then I got a short MF showing. A couple times I got the exposure meter also to showing differences with the black screen. Once I mounted the lens normal all was good.

So I would look at your release pin area.  From a google search there is apparently a micro switch under the pin that may be the issue. when you push the pin in all the camera functions seem to turn off as well as you can hear the camera cycle. 

similar as you have  https://www.flickr.com/groups/1941650@N ... 134132088/

Doug
The McLarty's :)
Lethbridge Alberta    
Rankin Inlet Nunavut Canada
In the Heart of the Canadian Arctic
Twitter @DadRankin

by ChrisRoss on Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:06 pm
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
Doug, thanks for the advice, I can replicate the issue on the one lens that is working by pressing in the release button, so it appears on two lenses the release button is not fully coming out. It definitely is going into the hole and locking, you can feel it when mounting as it locks in. But the hole that takes the pin looks fine on both problem lenses, in fact the one lens that works shows a slight burr where the pin sits up against the edge of the hole, the other two are clean, Might try checking the diameter of them all and depth if I can figure a way.

Just seems odd that one lens works while the other two do not.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia

8 posts |