Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 26 posts | 
by Neilyb on Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:29 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Somewhat "underwhelmingly", Canon have updated the original 6D with a 45 point AF system, 26Mega Pixels, flippy screen and no 4K video ;) and some connectivity.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/333147650 ... frame-dslr

by rene on Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:03 pm
rene
Forum Contributor
This camera was announced 2 days ago! Old news but maybe news in Germany travels slow :-)  The fact that this camera only finds its way to this forum now says enough.....underwhelming indeed
Rene

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:02 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
On paper looks like a pretty decent stills camera. Video is crippled so I wouldn't recommend it for that but it is a worthy competitor at the entry level full frame point. Let's see what the dynamic range is like before getting too excited though.

by Andy Trowbridge on Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:58 pm
Andy Trowbridge
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:On paper looks like a pretty decent stills camera.  Video is crippled so I wouldn't recommend it for that but it is a worthy competitor at the entry level full frame point.  Let's see what the dynamic range is like before getting too excited though.
Who's getting excited!!! :lol:
All comments & suggestions welcomed and appreciated.

Andy Trowbridge http://www.andytrowbridge.com 
Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/AndyTrowbridgePhotography

by Mike in O on Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:28 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
I like that it has f8 focusing, wish my 99II had that.

by Neilyb on Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:30 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
As nobody else posted the release I felt obliged. :) It is a purely stills based body as E.J points out but I am sure it is more than many people need. Video seems to be added for filming the school sports day or family hols.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:51 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Hands on first look from Outdoor Photographer:
https://www.outdoorphotographer.com/pho ... d-mark-ii/

by Wildflower-nut on Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:13 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the link. I'm afraid I don't think much of outdoor photographer or popular photography reviews any more.

by Neilyb on Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:42 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
There is a lot of hate for the "mediocre" update coming from the usual forums. As I see it you now have a body which shoots nearly as fast as the 5D4, with a few less AF points, and a little less resolution, all the connectivity for half the initial price of the 5D4 at release! Plus you have a flippy screen which I am starting to miss from my A7R especially when using a hiking tripod.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:34 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Wildflower-nut wrote:Thanks for the link.  I'm afraid I don't think much of outdoor photographer or popular photography reviews any more.
Popular Photography doesn't exist anymore.

by KK Hui on Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:41 am
KK Hui
Member #:00536
What remains to be seen is the DR of this 6D2 image sensor. Is it much better than the 5D4 one?
The other point in choosing 5D4 for me is its AF ability if you shoot action such as BIF.
The 5D4 receives a new AF system featuring the same AF module found in the 1D X Mark II for a lot less money.
KK Hui  FRPS
Fellow of The Royal Photographic Society
Personal Website | Portfolio @ Flickr

Lifetime Member NSN 0536

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:51 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
KK Hui wrote:What remains to be seen is the DR of this 6D2 image sensor. Is it much better than the 5D4 one?
The other point in choosing 5D4 for me is its AF ability if you shoot action such as BIF.
The 5D4 receives a new AF system featuring the same AF module found in the 1D X Mark II for a lot less money.
Totally agree - in theory, if it uses the exact same process technology as the 5D4 then the DR should be almost exactly 1/3 stop better - that assumes that the other circuitry in the camera has exactly the same signal to noise ratio as the 5D4.  If it isn't 1/3 stop better than the 5D4 then they have cheapened some other components in the pipeline.

by Neilyb on Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:02 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
One small thing that makes a big difference. 45 AF points but no joystick to select them. Instead the same system as on the 70/80D, using the inner portion of the large rear scroll wheel...which is quite fiddly I find. :(

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:07 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Neilyb wrote:One small thing that makes a big difference. 45 AF points but no joystick to select them. Instead the same system as on the 70/80D, using the inner portion of the large rear scroll wheel...which is quite fiddly I find. :(
Back in the day when I shot Canon (2001-2008) that was the only way to adjust focus so you do get used to it :)

by Neilyb on Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:35 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Neilyb wrote:One small thing that makes a big difference. 45 AF points but no joystick to select them. Instead the same system as on the 70/80D, using the inner portion of the large rear scroll wheel...which is quite fiddly I find. :(
Back in the day when I shot Canon (2001-2008) that was the only way to adjust focus so you do get used to it :)
Oh I remember press AF select button, scroll wheel depending on which way you want to go, but then I only had eleven AF points until getting the 1DII, then it was a problem ;) .
The method on the 70D is a sort of joystick within the rear scroll wheel, around the select button... it is a pain in the butt compared to the lovely joystick (and I curse every time I use the wifes camera). I do not see the need for such small omissions when you have 45 points, but obviously Canon do. :|

by WJaekel on Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:37 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
KK Hui wrote:What remains to be seen is the DR of this 6D2 image sensor. Is it much better than the 5D4 one?
Totally agree - in theory, if it uses the exact same process technology as the 5D4 then the DR should be almost exactly 1/3 stop better - that assumes that the other circuitry in the camera has exactly the same signal to noise ratio as the 5D4.  If it isn't 1/3 stop better than the 5D4 then they have cheapened some other components in the pipeline.
There's an interesting thread at Fredmiranda. Based on Raw-files from the 6D2 the DR at base ISOs was calculated and concluded that there's no improvement over the previous model, see below on page 26 ff

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1497323/26

I'm no technical expert compared to the user "cgarcia" who did the maths over there. So I don't know if this is valid which would be a huge disappointment for the people who are interested in purchasing that camera ( me not, btw - though the articulated screen would have been nice for the 5d4, too).

There's also another calculation at photonstophotos evidentally pointing in the same direction:

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm

On the other hand, Canon states that the sensor of the 6d2 is the same generation as the one in the 5D Mark IV. So we will have to wait and see.... :wink:

Wolfgang
wjaekel-foto.de

by KK Hui on Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:42 am
KK Hui
Member #:00536
EOS-6D Mk II
"In recent years Canon's newer sensor designs have started to close the dynamic range gap, compared with chips from the likes of Sony and Toshiba.
It seems the benefits that appeared in the sensors used in the EOS 80D and EOS 5D IV have not been applied to the latest EOS 6D Mk II, and the new camera has less dynamic range ..."
https://www.dpreview.com/articles/34161 ... amic-range

I've high hope but it's a sad development IMHO for Canon users :-(
KK Hui  FRPS
Fellow of The Royal Photographic Society
Personal Website | Portfolio @ Flickr

Lifetime Member NSN 0536

by Neilyb on Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:34 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
KK Hui wrote:EOS-6D Mk II
"In recent years Canon's newer sensor designs have started to close the dynamic range gap, compared with chips from the likes of Sony and Toshiba.
It seems the benefits that appeared in the sensors used in the EOS 80D and EOS 5D IV have not been applied to the latest EOS 6D Mk II, and the new camera has less dynamic range ..."

Even the Rebel T7i fairs waaaaay better (I think it is the same sensor as the 80D) which is a bit of a ball drop from Canon :o The Nikon 7500 blows it out of the water, as does the a6500.

At least now we know what Canon do with all their old sensors :)

by Mike in O on Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:13 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Neilyb wrote:
KK Hui wrote:EOS-6D Mk II

Even the Rebel T7i fairs waaaaay better (I think it is the same sensor as the 80D) which is a bit of a ball drop from Canon :o The Nikon 7500 blows it out of the water, as does the a6500.

At least now we know what Canon do with all their old sensors :)
Sony owns Toshiba sensor business

by sdaconsulting on Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:19 pm
sdaconsulting
Forum Contributor
Getting blown out of the water for low-ISO DR by 5-year old Nikon and Sony APS-C bodies and matched by the 9-year old APS-C Nikon D90. 3 stops worse DR than the state-of-the-art Nikon and Sony FF bodies.

Ouch!
Matthew Cromer

26 posts |