Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by Mike Delgado on Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:00 pm
Mike Delgado
Forum Contributor
Looking for the best monopod for a Nikon 500mm F-4. How would you mount it or what do I need to mount the lens to it? Just the foot and screw in?

Im looking at the GM4562

Thank You
Website
http://MikeDelgadoPhotography.com/
Join me on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/mike.delgado.1466

by Mike in O on Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:38 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Any monopod is fine, cheaper the better...I normally just screw a plate on but sometimes I will use a head if I am pointing down (shooting up, just lift)

by kiwijohn on Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:01 pm
kiwijohn
Forum Contributor
I had many frustrating experiences with fiddly monopods using those lift-latches that needed to be opened, the leg section slid out then the latch closed again (x4 for a monopod and x12 for a tripod!), and I found that by the time I was ready to take the shot the bird had died of old age....

THEN I discovered the Manfrotto 685B which has 2 sections - you step on the foot of it and pull the top of the monopod upwards to the desired height and let go.  It locks in position all by itself and you take the shot - total time taken - maybe a second or two.

To reduce the monopod height simply grasp the top handle and squeeze to release the lock allowing the whole caboodle to lower the camera and lens again in about a second. A safety catch stops accidental collapse, you can actuate this simultaneously with your pinkie finger as you squeeze the lowering handle. 

I attach the camera/lens using an Arca plate to the monopod via a "Nest" brand carbon fibre gimbal head (a Chinese knock-off of a Wimberley at a fraction of the price). The monopod and gimbal head weigh 1.2kg together.

This setup easily handles my D810 + SB910 flash + Nikon 300mm f2.8 workhorse birding lens (~6kg total) and also is sufficiently sturdy to handle even my 600mm f4 + D810+ SB910 flash (~9kg total). 
I am 6'1" and the max height of the monopod + gimbal is more than adequate to comfortably elevate the kit to shoot birds right overhead.

I have drilled a hole in the aluminium base of the gimbal head and screwed in a 15mm steel eyelet which allows me to hang the lens/body/monopod assembly on a hooked shoulder strap (A Stihl garden hedge trimmer shoulder strap from my local Stihl shop) allowing me to easily walk 5-6km in the forest looking for birds with just my right arm stabilising the kit as I walk. Experiment to find the centre of gravity of the whole kit before screwing in the eyelet.

Theres a retaining clip on the Stihl hook - cut this off so the eyelet and camera can be quickly lifted off the hook when you want to use it. I have never had the hook and eye part company accidentally with this retaining clip modification.

Hope this is useful!  :)
John Sibley

Last edited by kiwijohn on Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by WJaekel on Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:05 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
I have the Gitzo GM 4542 including the flexible Monostat foot for my 600er, 500er and 400er (Canon, though) which was not included at the time I purchased the monopod. I don't know for sure if the Gitzo now comes with a comparable foot but it looks like that. I'm using the Kirk MPA-2 monopod head and an usual Arca- swiss compatible plate for the lens. This setting has worked flawlessly for me on all my trips whenever I had to skip the tripod for more flexibility. Others may prefer to just screw the lens directly on the monopod without a head.

Wolfgang
http://www.wjaekel-foto.de

by DChan on Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:36 am
DChan
Forum Contributor
I use a manfrotto. Strong and inexpensive.

by david fletcher on Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:45 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
DChan wrote:I use a manfrotto. Strong and inexpensive.
plus one.  actually plus two....  :)  (one carbon fibre one, steel....)
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

6 posts |