fbpixel

Moderators: E.J. Peiker, Greg Downing

All times are UTC - 5 hours

  
« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 15 posts | 
by Cynthia Crawford on Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:58 am
User avatar
Cynthia Crawford
Moderator
Posts: 9188
Joined: 10 Jun 2006
Location: Vermont
Member #:00733
Anyone have some that actually work?  Most netting is too slippery for holding a camera, and thicker gloves are too hot for summer. Someone needs to invent these if they don't exist. If I hold anything like a camera or binoculars for one second, the bugs put out the swarm alarm!  I can't (and don't want to) use pesticides. Aargh!
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.com
 

by photoman4343 on Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:29 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Posts: 1641
Joined: 01 Feb 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Go to www.coolibar.com and look for sun gloves, fingerless or with full fingers. These are made primarily for skin cancer protection, but could work for bug control too.
Joe Smith
 

by photoman4343 on Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:30 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Posts: 1641
Joined: 01 Feb 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Go to www.coolibar.com and look for sun gloves, fingerless or with full fingers. These are made primarily for skin cancer protection, but could work for bug control too.
Joe Smith
 

by Robert on Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:40 pm
User avatar
Robert
Forum Contributor
Posts: 610
Joined: 02 Jan 2004
Location: Spring Lake, MI
If you haven't tried this, a couple drops of herbal insect repellant on the backs of your hands may be enough to discourage the little buggers. If that doesn't work well enough, those gloves may very well be a good option for you.
Good luck!
 

by Cynthia Crawford on Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:47 pm
User avatar
Cynthia Crawford
Moderator
Posts: 9188
Joined: 10 Jun 2006
Location: Vermont
Member #:00733
photoman4343 wrote:
Go to www.coolibar.com and look for sun gloves, fingerless or with full fingers. These are made primarily for skin cancer protection, but could work for bug control too.

Thanks- those look pretty good. Just wonder if you (or anyone else ) has actually tried them for bugs. I read elsewhere that some mesh materials let those skeeters poke right through. Might be worth a try though.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.com
 

by Cynthia Crawford on Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:48 pm
User avatar
Cynthia Crawford
Moderator
Posts: 9188
Joined: 10 Jun 2006
Location: Vermont
Member #:00733
Robert wrote:
If you haven't tried this, a couple drops of herbal insect repellant on the backs of your hands may be enough to discourage the little buggers. If that doesn't work well enough, those gloves may very well be a good option for you.
Good luck!

Hi Robert-thanks!

I'd normally consider that, but have allergies to all kinds of aromatics-herbals smell great until I start sneezing! :(
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.com
 

by photoman4343 on Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:42 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Posts: 1641
Joined: 01 Feb 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Here are a couple of other ideas. Just buy two head nets and use them as bags over your hands. I have seen them used this way in Texas in mosquito country when glove warmth is not needed. Another idea is to get the sun gloves and then treat them with Permethrin or some other product that will not cause an allergic reaction. Bikers use gloves that cover the top of the hand and are usually palmless. Another brand to check out is Outdoor Research. They have a variety of products that could work.
Joe Smith
 

by Rhett on Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:57 pm
Rhett
Lifetime Member
Posts: 254
Joined: 11 Apr 2006
Location: Auburn, AL
Member #:01389
Simm's makes some "Bug Stopper" sun gloves. https://www.simmsfishing.com/bugstopper-sunglove.html. I've got a pair, but I haven't really put them to the test yet. Also, you can send your own clothing off to be treated:: https://www.insectshield.com/ISYOC.aspx
 

by Cynthia Crawford on Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:09 pm
User avatar
Cynthia Crawford
Moderator
Posts: 9188
Joined: 10 Jun 2006
Location: Vermont
Member #:00733
Thanks all. I guess I didn't quite make say it right- no insecticides for me. Extreme allergies to those kinds of things. (Might help someone else though).

Have been doing some exploring meanwhile. There was a thread here long ago in which someone suggested surgical gloves! Might just work on a short-term basis.-don't know about hot weather.


viewtopic.php?f=1&t=65872&p=700546
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.com
 

by dissent on Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:14 pm
User avatar
dissent
Forum Contributor
Posts: 644
Joined: 20 Dec 2013
Location: Illinois
You can try a cotton glove under the latex or nitrile disposable glove to help with hand sweating.
 

by Cynthia Crawford on Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:22 pm
User avatar
Cynthia Crawford
Moderator
Posts: 9188
Joined: 10 Jun 2006
Location: Vermont
Member #:00733
dissent wrote:
You can try a cotton glove under the latex or nitrile disposable glove to help with hand sweating.

Good idea!  Something really thin...

Thanks all, for suggestions.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.com
 

by ricardo00 on Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:32 pm
ricardo00
Forum Contributor
Posts: 130
Joined: 06 Apr 2014
Rhett wrote:
Simm's makes some "Bug Stopper" sun gloves.  https://www.simmsfishing.com/bugstopper-sunglove.html.  I've got a pair, but I haven't really put them to the test yet.  Also, you can send your own clothing off to be treated:: https://www.insectshield.com/ISYOC.aspx


Thanks, just ordered a pair of "Bug Stopper" gloves for a trip next month to Alaska.  Heard the mosquitoes there can be vicious so may be able to see how well they work, though hopefully they won't be that bad (one can hope).
 

by Paul Fusco on Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:05 am
Paul Fusco
Forum Contributor
Posts: 4317
Joined: 22 Aug 2003
Location: CT
Thin latex gloves

P
Paul J. Fusco
NSN 0120


NSN Portfolio
http://www.naturescapes.net/portfolios/ ... ?cat=10317
 

by Mark Picard on Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:48 am
User avatar
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
Posts: 2279
Joined: 29 Mar 2005
Location: Northern Maine
Member #:01043
Chnthia - I think latex gloves would be not good for that use in that they would keep in your sweat. Your hands need to breath! In Northern Maine we know a thing or two about Black Flies and Mosquitoes! :) I went to the hardware store and bought a pair of cotton gardening gloves ($2., even found a pair that was camo!) then cut off the finger tips to operate the camera. I personally gave them a light spraying of Permethrin (odorless, by the way). If the Permethrin scares you, just use the gloves without. The Black Flies can't penetrate the gloves, and the mosquitoes will still have a hard time, usually giving up, as your hands are usually the busiest part of your body moving around constantly. Again, the Permithrin is completely odorless after you let it dry for a couple of hours and doesn't touch your skin anyway. Cotton gardening gloves, with Permethrin or without - a cheap and effective way to keep the bugs away!
Mark Picard
Website:  http://www.markpicard.com
Maine Photography Workshops
 

by Cynthia Crawford on Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:20 pm
User avatar
Cynthia Crawford
Moderator
Posts: 9188
Joined: 10 Jun 2006
Location: Vermont
Member #:00733
Mark Picard wrote:
Chnthia - I think latex gloves would be not good for that use in that they would keep in your sweat. Your hands need to breath! In Northern Maine we know a thing or two about Black Flies and Mosquitoes! :) I went to the hardware store and bought a pair of cotton gardening gloves ($2., even found a pair that was camo!) then cut off the finger tips to operate the camera. I personally gave them a light spraying of Permethrin (odorless, by the way). If the Permethrin scares you, just use the gloves without. The Black Flies can't penetrate the gloves, and the mosquitoes will still have a hard time, usually giving up, as your hands are usually the busiest part of your body moving around constantly. Again, the Permithrin is completely odorless after you let it dry for a couple of hours and doesn't touch your skin anyway. Cotton gardening gloves, with Permethrin or without - a cheap and effective way to keep the bugs away!

Thanks Mark!  I'll give that a try too- sure can't go wrong for 2 bucks. As for Permethrin- probably not, as I get rashes from chemicals like that, even if odorless.

I hear the mosquitoes in Maine are bigger than dragonflies and fiercer than dragons!! ;))



[font="Helvetica Neue",Helvetica,sans-serif]Save[/font]
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.com
 

Display posts from previous:  Sort by:  
15 posts | 
  

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group