Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by Coreyhkh on Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:34 am
Coreyhkh
Forum Contributor
Anyone have any recommendations on a good cheap tripod that would work good for holding perches? 
Ideally with the hollow handle so the branches can fit inside.
-------------------------------------
http://www.coreyhayes.net

by photoman4343 on Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:35 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
The one I use for such purposes is a Sunpak 5858D. I bought it at Best Buy. The handle on the built in head is hollow so it accepts tree branches or similar items that can be used as perches. One caveat is that these small light weight tripods with similar heads have limited stability. Once you slide in that branch as a perch, you may have to add some weight to the base of the tripod to increase its stability. You may just have to go to a local store like Traget and look at what they have because the adds rarely will tell you anything about the handles.

I also use an old Bogen/Manfrotto aluminum tripod without a head. I attach a Bogen superclamp to one of the legs and add another superclamp to it. Then I attach the branch to the second superclamp. This results in a much more stable platform. But it more stuff to take into the field.
Joe Smith

by Richard B. on Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:59 pm
Richard B.
Lifetime Member
Member #:01199
I bought generic whatever at WallyMart. I find models that have largest holes in the handle ends and the ability for the handle to go full 90 degrees up from horizontal to be the most useful.

Richard

by Neilyb on Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:38 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
I have an old Manfrotto Alu 155B, if I need a strong perch I screw a cheap arca type plate the perch and use a cheap head to position it. A thinner perch I would do the same with a piece of wood with a hold drilled in it or a strong clip to hold.

by joseph motto on Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:08 pm
joseph motto
Lifetime Member
Member #:00091
I second the WalMart motion. They are cheap and work well for most perches. I believe Alan Murphy uses those also. The thin plastic strips that pull through and lock (don't know the official name) work well for holding the perches in place. Now if you can teach me how to keep perch leaves from wilting I will be forever grateful.
joseph motto
NSN 0091

by Richard B. on Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:19 pm
Richard B.
Lifetime Member
Member #:01199
Forever grateful not necessary! Put your perch end in one of these. Also Alan Murphy trick.

https://www.amazon.com/Water-Pick-4-3-1 ... +bud+tubes

Richard

Hmm, link looks like it won't work. Just search on Amazon for florist bud tubes.

6 posts |