Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by 06Honda on Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:34 am
06Honda
Forum Contributor
I am travelling to Newfoundland this summer for whales; gannets; moose, puffins etc and am considering buying a smaller camera that doesn't need lense changes for general landscape shooting. I use a Nikon D7200 with the updated 80-400 for just about all my nature type shooting. Main subjects for the smaller camera would be family; landscapes; buildings that type of thing. Also this will enable me to hand it over to the wife for a quick shot, she does not do photography at all
Any suggestions on what to buy. It can be a non-nikon brand if necessary, thanks for any input.

* I have read several reviews online and this camera has been mentioned a few times.

Sony DSC-RX100 20.2MP CMOS 3.6X 3"

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:09 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The RX100 series is outstanding as a small camera. There are 5 different models from the original to the most recent. Image quality is better when they switched to a BSI sensor and the lenses have gotten a bit better as well but also the focal length range and aperture has changed some so pick the one that suits your needs and budget the best.

by Mike in O on Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:21 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Any brands 1" sensor would work, they all use Sony's sensor (exception is early Nikon cx which uses an Aptina sensor).  The only differences are the lens selection and price.  Sony doesn't sell its latest 20mpix 1" sensor to other vendors.  There is the old front side, newer backside, and stacked sensor.  Speed and a bit less noise differentiate them (over simplification of course).

by baldsparrow on Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:33 pm
baldsparrow
Forum Contributor
06Honda wrote:
* I have read several reviews online and this camera has been mentioned a few times.

Sony DSC-RX100 20.2MP CMOS 3.6X 3"

It's really a very good camera ... extremely versatile. Can't recommend it highly enough.

4 posts |