« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 14 posts | 
by Eia on Fri May 26, 2017 2:45 pm
Eia
Forum Contributor
Any reviews on the  100-400mm f/5-6.3   Contemporary lens for Nikon cameras?
The weight looks like it is something I could carry around on a day trip/hike!!!!!  That would be the main reason to purchase this!!!!
How would it handle on the D7200?
~AnnaMaria~

by rene on Fri May 26, 2017 4:23 pm
rene
Forum Contributor
Literally received mine this morning together with the mc11 adapter and a Sony A6500. First impression are good. Well built, not too heavy. I can't say much about the optical performance yet but on other forums users seem to be very content. One thing missing is a lens foot, which is a bit disappointing . Hopefully an after market manufacturer will soon produce one...if it can be fitted that is.
Rene de Heer

by ChrisStarbuck on Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:06 am
ChrisStarbuck
Forum Contributor
I don't have any personal experience with the new Sigma lens.

The price?  Wow!  Substantially (~29%) less than I paid for my used Canon 100-400 in 2003!

Here are the only two English-language reviews I could find.  Neither is very thorough.

DPReview's reviews (& other info):
https://www.dpreview.com/search/?query= ... _dg_os_hsm
Not much meat in the review; at least, I'd like to see more detail.  I'd really like to see how it compares to the original Canon 100-400 IS.

CameraLabs:
https://www.cameralabs.com/sigma-100-40 ... os-review/
Specifically compares it to the Nikon 80-400, which might be of interest to you.
Points out the lack of tripod collar (boy, will that stress the lens/camera mount!), and claims disappointing OS at certain shutter speeds.
Chris Starbuck
[url]http://www.chrisstarbuck.com[/url]

by Andy Trowbridge on Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:05 am
Andy Trowbridge
Forum Contributor
Lenstip.com have completed there review of the lens - http://www.lenstip.com/index.php?test=obiektywu&test_ob=502

I haven't read it all but resolution wise (on Canon 5D Mark III) they say its as good as the Canon 100-400mm Version II and significantly better than the original version and better than either of the Nikon 80-400mm's.

AF slow but accurate. 
All comments & suggestions welcomed and appreciated.

Andy Trowbridge http://www.andytrowbridge.com 
Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/AndyTrowbridgePhotography

by Tim Zurowski on Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:44 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
rene wrote: One thing missing is a lens foot, which is a bit disappointing . Hopefully an after market manufacturer will soon produce one...if it can be fitted that is.
What they heck were they thinking! I can't believe Sigma would make this lens without any option for a tripod mount. I can't see anyway that one could be fitted to it, as they did not design the lens for a place to put it. I was very interested in this lens until I saw this. No way I would want any lens of this focal length without a tripod mount!!!

by DChan on Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:26 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Weigh about 3 lbs, with a filter size of 67mm and only 7.2 inches in length. Not exactly a big lens. With OS, totally handhold-able.

by Tim Zurowski on Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:36 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
My 500 f4 VR is totally "handhold-able" - the Sigma 150-600 is totally handhold-able - my 300 f4 is totally handhold-able - my Sigma 150 macro is totally handhold-able; yet, they all have a tripod collar built in. My point is that there are many users who will really want and need a tripod collar on this lens, and Sigma have basically taken them all out of the equation. For the small extra cost, IMHO this was a huge mistake by Sigma.

by Jens Peermann on Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:05 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
rene wrote:Literally received mine this morning together with the mc11 adapter and a Sony A6500. First impression are good. Well built, not too heavy. I can't say much about the optical performance yet but on other forums users seem to be very content. One thing missing is a lens foot, which is a bit disappointing . Hopefully an after market manufacturer will soon produce one...if it can be fitted that is.
Rene de Heer
I am considering this lens as well, to be used with the a6500. Please share you experience with this combo when you have familiarized yourself with it. I am particularly interested in how well the lens is compatible with all of the camera's functions, which Sigma claims it is.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by rene on Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:55 pm
rene
Forum Contributor
I'm in Spain and gave this 100-400 and A6500 with me. I'm returning later this week and will give some more info about this combination for bird photography. The fact that there is NO tripod collar is an issue but the combination A6500 100-400 is so light that it's not a massive issue. Hopefully an after market tripod collar will be brought to market by the likes of Wimberley and Lirk enterprises.
Rene

by Roman Kurywczak on Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:24 pm
Roman Kurywczak
Lifetime Member
Member #:01353
Tim Zurowski wrote:My 500 f4 VR is totally "handhold-able" - the Sigma 150-600 is totally handhold-able - my 300 f4 is totally handhold-able - my Sigma 150 macro is totally handhold-able; yet, they all have a tripod collar built in. My point is that there are many users who will really want and need a tripod collar on this lens, and Sigma have basically taken them all out of the equation. For the small extra cost, IMHO this was a huge mistake by Sigma.
Makes perfect sense to save weight. At 2.56 lbs it is approximately .5 pounds heavier (so pretty equally balanced) and as heavy as my Canon 1Dx.  I have had it for a month now handholding mostly but for my landscapes have used the L bracket on my 1Dx with no issues.  I have hand held my Sigma 150-600 sport and contemporary on both above mentioned bodies for over two years...not one issue with the mount.

by Peter Ireland on Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:07 pm
Peter Ireland
Forum Contributor
Member #:01589
I have recently purchased the Sigma 150-600 C here in the UK, and it came with a tripod collar.So why here but not in the USA?

by rene on Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:16 pm
rene
Forum Contributor
Peter Ireland wrote:I have recently purchased the Sigma 150-600 C here in the UK, and it came with a tripod collar.So why here but not in the USA?

Because this thread is about the Sigma 100-400 which doesn't have a tripod collar!
Rene de Heer

by Tim Zurowski on Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:10 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
We obviously have different shooting needs. Here are my issues with no tripod collar.

1) If you are shooting and need/want to shoot a vertical composition. I have had lenses without tripod collars and believe me it is a major PITA to switch to vertical and back without a collar. I do this a lot! I swore I would never ever own another macro lens or long lens without a tripod collar.

2) 90% of my photography is with a tripod and sometimes at very slow shutter speeds. Having a collar on a "longer" lens is simply much better for tripod use than mounting on the camera body. 

3) Using a flash on a tripod without a collar is also a major PITA. Try going vertical with a flash on a flash mount with the camera body mounted on the tripod, and honestly tell me you aren't cursing.

4) It is much easier to swap camera bodies or add extension tubes / converters with the lens mounted with a collar. 

I seriously doubt that adding a tripod collar to this lens would make it a deal breaker for anyone with regards to weight. Even if many people are okay with using the lens without a collar, by adding a collar Sigma would have expanded their market for this lens and made it better for everyone. It certainly has removed this lens from my prospective future and I am sure there are more who feel like me. There is not one person here that I shoot with that doesn't think this was a dumb idea. Everyone says the same thing "what were they thinking?" The smart thing would have been to design the lens for an after market collar. They could have even sold a Sigma collar themselves for those that need/want it. That way the lens would have been fine for either user and not have alienated all those people that need the collar. I can't see how that would have made it cost any more; plus, they could have made a bit more on the sale of the collar add-on. 

by ricardo00 on Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:48 pm
ricardo00
Forum Contributor
Eia wrote:Any reviews on the  100-400mm f/5-6.3   Contemporary lens for Nikon cameras?
The weight looks like it is something I could carry around on a day trip/hike!!!!!  That would be the main reason to purchase this!!!!
How would it handle on the D7200?
  I got excited when I saw your title, hoping Sigma had made a 400mm lens, not realizing that you meant the 100-400mm zoom.  Sigma,
please make a 400mm f/4 lens for us Nikon users!  And have a tripod collar with an Arca style foot.

14 posts |