Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by Jens Peermann on Thu May 04, 2017 8:34 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
I have a new lens coming that has manual aperture and no electronic communication with the camera. I know that it will work with my a7II but would like to confirm that I figured it right how to do it. Just setting the aperture on the camera to the same value as on the lens. Correct? Please let me know.

Thanks.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu May 04, 2017 8:50 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
If you have an unchipped manual lens, you just set shutter speed and ISO on the camera and aperture on the lens. There won't be an aperture selection on the camera. The F number will just be two dashes -- No EXIF data other than shutter speed and ISO will be recorded. Remember to set the correct focal length for the IBIS in order for it to properly stabilize the lens or just turn stabilization off if you are on a tripod.

by Jens Peermann on Fri May 05, 2017 9:23 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Thanks E.J. I was hoping that by setting the aperture value on the camera I can record it in the EXIF data. But from what you wrote it must be that the camera only gives a command to the lens to go up or down by an increment and the lens then reports the aperture it arrived at to the camera.

However, when I change a lens on my a7 or a7II, the lens I attach will be set to the aperture that the lens I took off had been set to. So the value must be recorded by the camera, somewhere.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri May 05, 2017 10:38 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
You are correct that the EXIF data will be whatever the last aperture was prior to the lens change so if you select the aperture on a chipped lens before making the lens change, that aperture will be recorded but if you make any changes to the aperture on the unsupported lens, it will still say the old aperture.

by Jens Peermann on Fri May 05, 2017 2:59 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the explanation. Looks like i will have the previous lens' aperture value in the EXIF of the images taken with the new lens (Voigtlander 75/1.8 ). Will be interesting.

5 posts |