« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:03 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Think Tank's Glass Limo and the Canon 500 f4 II with attached camera.  It's the minimalist backpack for carrying around a 500 f4 II + 7D MK2 + 1.4x III.  It's a tight fit but it fits.  You can also stash a Canon Flash and TC 2x inside the camera compartment as well.  The sides are flexible so it gives a bit to accommodate the aforementioned accessories.  You cannot store a flash in the zippered compartment on the back of the bag.  Zipper will not close due to the 580ex flash thickness.  That should give an idea of how much room there is back there.  But you can store flatter items.

Tried stashing my Gitzo 3500 series tripod with ballhead/SideKick on the side of the bag and while doable, kind of lopsided looking and tripod really sticks out.  Not recommended for any long distance walking.  If you have to carry a tripod there, get a much smaller and lighter one. 

If you only intend to use it for a 500 f4 II, 1.4x with 7D MK2 camera attached, seems like a waste of camera bag material.  All the inside compartments and padded lens collars are not going to be used.  Wish they sold two versions of this bag, one without adjustable inside compartments and one with.  Of course that's not going to happen. 

Backpack with gear inside feels good on the back.  Will have to carry 3500 series Gitzo by hand.  Going to test how comfortable it is walking over a long distance.

PS.  Just watched a review on YouTube for the FStop bag and I'm impressed with its versatility.  It's like a handyman/gadget gearhead's dream bag with all those pockets to store things.  Have to give it a try.

by christypmaui on Sat May 27, 2017 8:29 pm
christypmaui
Forum Contributor
Thx for the feedback :-)
Loves photographing big cats in Africa, polar bear babies and young Bengal tigers
www.wildliferhythms.com
http://chrisprestegardtraveltipcentral.blogspot.com/

by OntPhoto on Tue May 30, 2017 6:31 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
christypmaui wrote:Thx for the feedback :-)
Glad to be of help.  That's what these forums are for, I hope.  I figure if I have thought about the questions, others likely have as well.  I will try and get some photos up when I can.  A picture is worth a thousand words thing .........  :)

by Woodswalker on Wed May 31, 2017 8:23 am
Woodswalker
Forum Contributor
After numerous lens mount repairs and broken release pins in cameras, notably the D800E, I stopped transporting cameras by any means with long lenses attached. What's the upside?

by OntPhoto on Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:32 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Woodswalker wrote:After numerous lens mount repairs and broken release pins in cameras, notably the D800E, I stopped transporting cameras by any means with long lenses attached. What's the upside?
I always have the camera attached to a lens.  Have not encountered any issues, that I am aware of anyway. 

I am not quite sure about your question, 'What's the upside?' but if you mean what is the upside of a bag like the Glass Limo - my response to that would be, if you want to transport a lens like a 500 with camera in the field in a backpack and want something light, that isn't going to add to the overall weight or bulk footprint, the Glass Limo fits the bill, I think. The tight fit of lens and camera in the bag also means the gear isn't moving around much, if at all, inside.  The upside for me to keep a camera attached to a lens is that it is ready to go and I am not having to attach the lens outdoors (especially if it's windy but then you can do it inside your closed vehicle).  Also, having the camera attached means I don't have to secure the camera in a separate compartment inside the bag. 

The Glass Limo, for big lens users, is for those who want the minimal weight and bulk in a backpack.  The downside to that is you can't bring along extra lenses without buying the attachment pouches for the backpack.  Then you start adding extra weight and bulk taking away the main appeal of the bag for me.  Strapping a lightweight tripod to the side adds some extra weight of course.  

by christypmaui on Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:32 pm
christypmaui
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto wrote:Think Tank's Glass Limo and the Canon 500 f4 II with attached camera.  It's the minimalist backpack for carrying around a 500 f4 II + 7D MK2 + 1.4x III.  It's a tight fit but it fits.  You can also stash a Canon Flash and TC 2x inside the camera compartment as well.  The sides are flexible so it gives a bit to accommodate the aforementioned accessories.  You cannot store a flash in the zippered compartment on the back of the bag.  Zipper will not close due to the 580ex flash thickness.  That should give an idea of how much room there is back there.  But you can store flatter items.

Tried stashing my Gitzo 3500 series tripod with ballhead/SideKick on the side of the bag and while doable, kind of lopsided looking and tripod really sticks out.  Not recommended for any long distance walking.  If you have to carry a tripod there, get a much smaller and lighter one. 

If you only intend to use it for a 500 f4 II, 1.4x with 7D MK2 camera attached, seems like a waste of camera bag material.  All the inside compartments and padded lens collars are not going to be used.  Wish they sold two versions of this bag, one without adjustable inside compartments and one with.  Of course that's not going to happen. 

Backpack with gear inside feels good on the back.  Will have to carry 3500 series Gitzo by hand.  Going to test how comfortable it is walking over a long distance.

PS.  Just watched a review on YouTube for the FStop bag and I'm impressed with its versatility.  It's like a handyman/gadget gearhead's dream bag with all those pockets to store things.  Have to give it a try.
Thx again!  I just bought the Glass Limo (yes Greg via amazon/naturescapes) as a shooting bag for the 500mm II/1Dx (replaces my Kinesis L511) and love that it's only 2.5 lbs. with padding/belt removed.  The nice surprise is that I can use it as a travel bag as well when weight is a major issue (in lieu of the ~4 lb. Bataflae 26L). 

Using LensCoat body covers, I'm able to fit the: 500mm II, 70-200 II, 1Dx, 7DII, 1.4x, 2.0x, cards, 1 spare battery each and the not so small G3X P&S.  Unbelievable!
Loves photographing big cats in Africa, polar bear babies and young Bengal tigers
www.wildliferhythms.com

by OntPhoto on Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:13 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
christypmaui wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:Think Tank's Glass Limo and the Canon 500 f4 II with attached camera.  It's the minimalist backpack for carrying around a 500 f4 II + 7D MK2 + 1.4x III.  It's a tight fit but it fits.  You can also stash a Canon Flash and TC 2x inside the camera compartment as well.  The sides are flexible so it gives a bit to accommodate the aforementioned accessories.  You cannot store a flash in the zippered compartment on the back of the bag.  Zipper will not close due to the 580ex flash thickness.  That should give an idea of how much room there is back there.  But you can store flatter items.

Thx again!  I just bought the Glass Limo (yes Greg via amazon/naturescapes) as a shooting bag for the 500mm II/1Dx (replaces my Kinesis L511) and love that it's only 2.5 lbs. with padding/belt removed.  The nice surprise is that I can use it as a travel bag as well when weight is a major issue (in lieu of the ~4 lb. Bataflae 26L). 

Using LensCoat body covers, I'm able to fit the: 500mm II, 70-200 II, 1Dx, 7DII, 1.4x, 2.0x, cards, 1 spare battery each and the not so small G3X P&S.  Unbelievable!
Awesome.  You're welcome. I will try and figure out how you managed to get the 70-200 in there :-)  I will take a photo of my setup soon.  Was using the bag the other day and I am really appreciating it.  Even though the bag feels heavy (with 7D MK2, 500 f4 II, water bottle on side, flash) as I am lifting it up by the straps, it feels light once on my back.  When I walk thru the woods, I am so thankful (no longer have that feeling the bag is too big or is ill fitting or heavy, etc.).  I have just the right tripod to put on the side now.  Benro TMA28C folds down to 21 inches (4 section tripod).  Compare that to my Gitzo 3530 (I think that's the model) 3 section which closes down to 26 inches.  Once the Benro is in that side holder - there is a strap to tighten it against the bag -, the top of the tripod comes to a few inches past the top height of the bag which is not exactly what I wanted (no ball head yet) but better than the Gitzo at 26 inches.  Pretty much a 4-section over a 3-section.  The Benro 2 series FGP28C is much lighter and that tripod comes to the top of the bag height without ball head.  But it's a 2 series. It's doable. Also like how the bag stands up on end.

Last edited by OntPhoto on Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by christypmaui on Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:44 pm
christypmaui
Forum Contributor
The 70-200 fits on the bottom to the right of the 500mm. In addition to a LensCoat, I have a Giotto microfiber pouch over it:

https://www.amazon.com/Giottos-CL3632-M ... AMD1A?th=1
www.wildliferhythms.com

by OntPhoto on Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:04 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Edited.

Last edited by OntPhoto on Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Jeff Zanin on Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:03 am
Jeff Zanin
Lifetime Member
Member #:01201
@OntPhoto: Your pbase images are not accessible, message indicates "Must login as golfpic to view this image".

by OntPhoto on Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:41 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
I had to walk quite a distance to get to this photo location.  I loaded up and the bag still felt pretty good.  I think it has to do with the slim profile of the bag which keeps the weight centralized down a narrow column of the back and not swinging or shifting around.  The only time the bag feels heavy is when you are lifting it one-handed off the ground and swinging it onto the back.  Once on your back the setup does not feel heavy, not for me anyways.

In the bag is the 7D2 + 500 + 1.4x.  Extra batteries and remote release and few other items.  (keep in mind the inside of the bag where the camera and lens resides, has room for a Canon flash and a 2x converter if you choose to carry it).

On the side of the bag is a Benro TMA28C tripod with Benro B3 ball head and Wimberley Sidekick.  On the other side of the bag is a large green bottle of bug spray and water bottle and foldable stool.  If I bring a small bottle of bug spray, I can then put 2 bottles of water in that pocket or just use one large plastic refillable water bottle.  Umbrella on the back strap. In my hand were the 70-200 2.8L in its bag, another water bottle and one more item.  Think Tank sells holders for extra lenses that attach to the side of the bag (suppose you could attach it to the back strap as well).  Without question, the light-weight tripod helped a lot with the balance of the whole thing.

With the Glass Limo you can go simple and very light or load it up like I did and not have the whole thing feel heavy. It still feels "light" on the back. 

During one visit, I stopped to talk to a birder for 30 minutes (stationary) after making the very long walk and felt the shoulder strap digging in.  

Back view.
http://www.pbase.com/golfpic/image/165994027/original

Front view.  Those waist straps are one of the easiest to operate. 
http://www.pbase.com/golfpic/image/165994268/original

11 posts |