All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 16 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:43 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Henceforth we will be required to remove our cameras and place them in a bin separately similar to how laptops have been handled for years.  It is unclear currently if this means lenses also.  Also iPads and anything larger than a cell phone will have to be screened separately.  This does not apply to those enrolled and pre-screened through TSA precheck or Global Entry when TSA prececk is available.

by signgrap on Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:02 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
The reports I've read included lenses but they weren't official TSA reports. If I understand it correctly, what they want to do is see an item without another item under or over it when they X-ray it (same reason laptops are put in a separate bin when X-rayed).
Dick Ludwig

by Ed Cordes on Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:51 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
I guess it's the price we pay for "security". Most airports Gail and I go in and out of have TSA Precheck and we have a number. Unfortunately, our "home" airport does not have this service yet. Hopefully the remodeling they are doing will add it.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by Wildflower-nut on Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:25 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
I guess pre check will help domestically. any idea about foreign flights to US? Some speculation that global entry will help overseas.

by photoman4343 on Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:13 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Thanks E. J.

Here are some useful links that explain the various TSA Trusted Traveler Programs. Most of my friends who are willing to spend the $85 for TSA Pre, go ahead and spend the extra $15 and get Global Entry, which includes TSA Pre as part of its services.

TSA Trusted Traveler Programs compared:

https://www.dhs.gov/trusted-traveler-comparison-chart

https://www.dhs.gov/trusted-traveler-programs

In addition there is the Clear eye scan program at some US airports. It is more expensive and is less comprehensive as I understand it. I think you still need to buy TSA Pre to get those benefits.

Clear eye scan program:

https://www.clearme.com/home

And a general article on all of the above:

http://money.cnn.com/2015/11/13/pf/tsa- ... index.html
Joe Smith

by imagenes_vivas on Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:49 am
imagenes_vivas
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Henceforth we will be required to remove our cameras and place them in a bin separately similar to how laptops have been handled for years.  It is unclear currently if this means lenses also.  Also iPads and anything larger than a cell phone will have to be screened separately.  This does not apply to those enrolled and pre-screened through TSA precheck or Global Entry when TSA prececk is available.
I travel a lot by air with my equipment, and in the last year I have been obliged to do that in some european airports (the last one, in Oslo, Norway). But it seems as if it depends on the person in charge in the security check at this time. They ask me to open the camera bag, put the cameras and big lenses (like the 500mm) in separate bins and screening again.

by Wildflower-nut on Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:21 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
Precheck has a lot more convenient places to go for interview. For me to go where they want me to go for the global thing will waste more time that I'd save standing in line at the airport. It seems like all these help the same with the tsa check and probably don't help overseas coming back. I'd guess that if it is required in US it will be required for all flights departing for US.

by stevenmajor on Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:03 am
stevenmajor
Forum Contributor
For US citizens, my understanding is that the federal REAL ID program (starting 2018) will require a passport or federaly issued ID to fly domestically if you are not a resident of "complyant" US state. 

by Wildflower-nut on Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:23 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
imagenes_vivas wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:Henceforth we will be required to remove our cameras and place them in a bin separately similar to how laptops have been handled for years.  It is unclear currently if this means lenses also.  Also iPads and anything larger than a cell phone will have to be screened separately.  This does not apply to those enrolled and pre-screened through TSA precheck or Global Entry when TSA prececk is available.
I travel a lot by air with my equipment, and in the last year I have been obliged to do that in some european airports (the last one, in Oslo, Norway). But it seems as if it depends on the person in charge in the security check at this time. They ask me to open the camera bag, put the cameras and big lenses (like the 500mm) in separate bins and screening again.

I guess I've been asleep on this.  I knew they had band small electronics on planes from high risk countries.  Apparently at the end of last month they announced new procedures for all international flights into US.  Does anyone know what those are?  Is it the same thing they announced for US. 

by Rocky Sharwell on Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:47 am
Rocky Sharwell
Lifetime Member
Member #:00054
stevenmajor wrote:For US citizens, my understanding is that the federal REAL ID program (starting 2018) will require a passport or federaly issued ID to fly domestically if you are not a resident of "complyant" US state. 

There was a list of non-compliant states on some signage at the airport the last time I was there. I will look next weekend...
Rocky Sharwell

by signgrap on Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:03 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Wildflower-nut. . . . wrote:I guess I've been asleep on this.  I knew they had band small electronics on planes from high risk countries.  Apparently at the end of last month they announced new procedures for all international flights into US.  Does anyone know what those are?  Is it the same thing they announced for US. 
You should be able to find your states status here:
https://www.dhs.gov/real-id 
Edit: After studying the map and reading the provided info it appears that only 26 states meet compliance but the states who are non-compliant comprise the states with the highest populations i.e. roughly 2/3's of the US population. Non compliant extension run out in Oct. 2017. 
Dick Ludwig

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:40 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Global Entry gives you a compliant ID and states continue to file for extensions. My state, Arizona, has now been extended out to October 2020.
https://azdot.gov/mobile/media/news/201 ... ct.-1-2020

by Wildflower-nut on Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:14 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
I have a passport. What I'm trying to avoid is having to pull each piece of electronics out and send it through in a different tray. Precheck will do that in usa. It is my understanding that all incoming flights to US will have enhanced security. I would assume they will be doing the same pull everything out. Will either precheck or global entry be able to opt you out of that in other countries boarding a flight to US.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:31 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Wildflower-nut wrote:I have a passport.  What I'm trying to avoid is having to pull each piece of electronics out and send it through in a different tray.  Precheck will do that in usa.  It is my understanding that all incoming flights to US will have enhanced security.  I would assume they will be doing the same pull everything out.  Will either precheck or global entry be able to opt you out of  that in other countries boarding a flight to US.
The answer is, most of the time you will have to go through this procedure when flying from a foreign country to the USA.  However, there are some foreign airports where you go through US Customs and Immigration in that country and in those cases, if you have Global Entry and that airport has Global Entry then you will not have to do that.  Some airports in Canada as well as the two primary airports in Ireland ahve Customs, Immigration, Global Entry, and TSA pre.

by Mike in O on Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:48 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Wildflower-nut wrote:I have a passport.  What I'm trying to avoid is having to pull each piece of electronics out and send it through in a different tray.  Precheck will do that in usa.  It is my understanding that all incoming flights to US will have enhanced security.  I would assume they will be doing the same pull everything out.  Will either precheck or global entry be able to opt you out of  that in other countries boarding a flight to US.
The answer is, most of the time you will have to go through this procedure when flying from a foreign country to the USA.  However, there are some foreign airports where you go through US Customs and Immigration in that country and in those cases, if you have Global Entry and that airport has Global Entry then you will not have to do that.  Some airports in Canada as well as the two primary airports in Ireland ahve Customs, Immigration, Global Entry, and TSA pre.
Going through customs in a foreign country for US Customs (like Vancouver BC) is the worst thing I have ever been through.  The Canadian agent ripped my bag from my hands for no reason and because that caused bleeding yelled "a bleeder" and caused me to thrown to the ground.  After that was settled, I entered American customs and was cavity searched (this was coming back from NZ, fishing for 2 months).  The Canadian (unless you are a rich Chinese) and US Customs are left over Nazis with no compunction to use reason. 

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:10 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Taking one bad experience and applying it to Canada in general is just not fair nor is it correct having done it dozens of times.

16 posts |