Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 22 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:16 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:A few thoughts...sidekicks are fine on a sturdy tripod but lose some of their effectiveness on a less than ideal pod.  I would look into an acratech long lens head which is in between a ball head and a gimbal.  Very light even with a leveler attached; its only drawback is that the lens will flop if you don't pay attention.  It is very stable even with my old Minolta 600f4 (12.5 lbs).  I use it almost exclusively if I am walking and don't want to carry my Whimberly.
I just tried the Sidekick and Benro B3 ball head with the setup and it seems to be OK.  However, there is a reason why a Markins M20 ball head is a few hundred dollars more than a Benro B3.  The B3 panning is not as smooth as a more expensive ball head unless you loosen it to pan freely.  I need to play with it more to see if it's some adjustment that I need to make on the B3.

I want to use a tripod instead of a monopod so I can be hands free and not have to always be holding onto the gear.  For that purpose, this tripod is doing its job.  It has to be of a certain closed-down height and light weight enough so it can be transported comfortably on a slimmer profile backpack.  Or handheld. There are not many reviews on the tripod and use with a 500 lens.  That's understandable given the tripod is not one people would normally use with a 500.  Durability is the thing I do not know yet as I haven't used it long enough in the field to make any assessment. 

Update:
Well, it definitely can hold up a 500 lens.  Feels solid when locked down.  As mentioned and also field tested, the Benro requires more twisting of the twist locks to loosen and tighten.  Sometime when you think a knob is already loosened and start to push the leg section up, it can't move because the twist knob needs more loosening.  The Gitzo excels in this area as it loosens and tightens with a quick twist - a lot smoother and quicker to operate.  But you are paying over a $1,000 for a Gitzo vs $420 CAD for my Benro TMA28C.  One step up is the Benro TMA38C for $500 CAD but is a bit heavier and thicker legs than the TMA28C. 

Sidekick works great on the Benro B3 and Wimberley said it would as well.  However, the Benro B3 is no Markins.  Markins has much smoother panning when under tension. The Benro B3 panning under some tension is not smooth at all.  If you loosen it to turn freely, then it pans smoothly.  However, the Benro B3 works and gets the job done for a couple of hundred dollars less.  

by OntPhoto on Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:17 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
I have used the Benro TMA28C exclusively for the last 6 to 7 months, from the heat of summer to -37* C windchill days. What we already know before I purchased it. The tripod is not meant to be used with heavy gear like a 500 lens.  It's made for use with smaller type lenses like a 70-200 zoom.  However, over the last 6 months I have found that it works just fine with a 500 lens.  

It works great in the summer and fall and served the purpose for which I bought it for.  Something compact and lightweight to attach to a compact backpack.  After quite some use in the colder months, I don't think it's a winter weather tripod.  The cold temps affect the tripod's functioning.  Still very useable but does not operate as smoothly as in warmer weather. 

The tripod doesn't take to very cold weather well and is not as easy to operate with some legs sticking and a bottom leg or two falling out.  I have to concentrate on loosening one knob so I could push one leg section back up as the leg locking knob was sticking regularly.  This tripod does not work at its best in the cold winter months.  It still works but not smoothly.  Maybe I need to add some grease to the leg locking knob threads.  The knob turns OK but pushing the leg down or up is not so easy.  It does not affect all legs, just one or two sections.

I do have another Benro, the bigger TMA38C and this one is more suited for heavier gear like a 500 lens.  I will try this one next and see if I get the leg sticking issues and lower leg section falling out.  Just to see how it fares in very cold temps.

PS.  My Gitzo 3530 has worked just about flawlessly for the past 8+ years no matter the temperatures experienced here in eastern Ontario.

22 posts |