Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by Woodswalker on Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:59 am
Woodswalker
Forum Contributor
I tried out this camera last year for a couple of weeks and while the 10fps and AF were great, I had trouble with metering, specifically underexposure, and excessive battery consumption. Maybe it was the particular camera I was given. By now there must be many users out there so I wondered how do you like this camera?

by bmstsm on Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:25 am
bmstsm
Forum Contributor
I have clocked up nearly 100000 images. In one shoot I took 5000 images and still had 20% of battery left, this is the standard battery that comes with the body. I take 14 bit lossless compressed full size images. I have it on airport mode.
The auto focus is what makes it a joy to use, I have difficulty using other bodies now as they don't compare (D810, D7200).
Image quality - well it's DX so I look forward to the same AF in a high megapixel full frame body.
I have two now, never had two of the same before, just like it sooooooo much.
"If at first you don't succeed don't be a sky diver"

by Andrew_5488 on Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:54 am
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
I don't have any problems with battery but I have battery grip.
I also shoot 14 bit RAW (don't remember right now of compressed or not).
As far as exposure goes I'm not sure because I always dial in overexposure since I'm using "meter to the right" rule.

I wish I had electronic viewfinder like on my Sony a77-II so I'd see in viewfinder exactly how my exposure looks like
instead of guessing.

For me the most important thing in this camera is buffer. I don't have to worry about running out of buffer anymore.
Now I only have to worry about steadiness, focus, exposure, etc.
:-)

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:08 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The battery issue was an issue specific to LiIon01 batteries. All D500's come with LiIon20 batteries now and Nikon will even replace LiIon1 batteries that came with other Nikon bodies if you plan to use them in a D500. Issue is resolved.

The underexposure problem isn't something I've seen, nor would I see I shoot in manual mode using ETTR via the histogram but do realize that all Nikon cameras allow you to calibrate the meter in the menus.

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:48 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
David Busch's book "Nikon D500 Guide to Digital Photography" has a good section on metering and calibration, including some facts I was not aware of regarding 18 percent gray cards. Here's a link to the section. You should be able to scroll up and down the page to find out more.

David Busch's info on calibrating the Nikon D500

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by david fletcher on Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:28 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Thanks for that info Joe.. re OP, not had issues with under exposure either. Nor heavy battery usage. (I've been using LiIon 20 batteries anyway and bought Lexar XQD cards so am utterly stunned with the buffer...) metering wise, I flick between AV and manual and can't say I've had any issues.

Like the camera? Oh so yes. absolutely stunning. AF, Buffer, keeper rate... also like the 800 series but that's a different story and different need. The D500 without doubt is the best DX camera I've ever had.
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Woodswalker on Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:45 pm
Woodswalker
Forum Contributor
The issues I had back then could've been just that loaner camera but it put me off buying a new one at the time. Certainly I've never experienced that type of underexposure with any other Nikon cameras I have now or have had in the past. Good news about the batteries as well. Thank you.

by DChan on Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:43 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Woodswalker wrote:The issues I had back then could've been just that loaner camera but it put me off buying a new one at the time. Certainly I've never experienced that type of underexposure with any other Nikon cameras I have now or have had in the past. Good news about the batteries as well. Thank you.
If you're saying D500 comes with a faulty exposure meter, based on my camera I have no reason to believe so. If the meter is not working right, even manual mode shooters (I'm one) will notice. If there's problem in exposure compensation when shooting auto modes, it could be your camera is not making the correct exposure compensation. I'm assuming you're able to check the accuracy of your camera's exposure recommendations and use exposure compensation correctly.

by Mark Picard on Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:11 pm
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
david fletcher wrote:Thanks for that info Joe..  re OP, not had issues with under exposure either.  Nor heavy battery usage.  (I've been using LiIon 20 batteries anyway and bought Lexar XQD cards so am utterly stunned with the buffer...) metering wise, I flick between AV and manual and can't say I've had any issues.  

Like the camera? Oh so yes.  absolutely stunning.  AF, Buffer, keeper rate... also like the 800 series but that's a different story and different need.  The D500 without doubt is the best DX camera I've ever had.
+1
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops

9 posts |