Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 16 posts | 
by baldsparrow on Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:36 am
baldsparrow
Forum Contributor
Usually when flying I take a medium size carbon fibre tripod that just fits in a suitcase with the head removed but if I wanted to take a larger, more solid tripod I am unsure what to do ... how do others get round the problem? You can't take it as carry-on and outside of an anonymous checked case it's highly likely to be stolen. Ideas from experience anyone?

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:35 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Instead of a suitcase, I use a duffel with wheels and check that in. They make them long enough for any conceivable tripod. I have traveled multiple times per month for 16 years all over the country and world this way and never once had a tripod stolen or had a problem.

by WDCarrier on Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:54 am
WDCarrier
Forum Contributor
In the past on domestic flights I've attached my Manfroto Pro3 carbon fiber tripod (26 inches, head removed) to the outside of my carry-on backpack with the gimbal head inside with my 500mm and camera (38 lbs.) padded with clothes, All my other gear is in my camera bag that fits under the seat ((personal item) and I've never been questioned. On a half-dozen international trips I've carried on a smaller portable carbon fiber tripod and a ball head (removed) inside the roll-on case and put my larger tripod and gimbal head at the bottom of my check-in duffle bag, clothes on top. The only problem I've ever encountered was with AeroMexico that charge for carry-ons by weight and the cost was $115. I've never had any problems or theft. As rules keep changing, my next international trip in July will be a new test.
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” MLK[/font]

by rajandesai on Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:59 pm
rajandesai
Forum Contributor
Member #:01263
I recently got back from our trip to Italy - and we challenged ourselves to travel light with only carry-on bags. We checked-in one carry-on sized bag with a Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod packed inside, ball head removed. When I travel for my birding trips, I check-in a 25" bag that I use to pack my Gitzo 5 tripod and Gimbal head detached. I have never had an issue so far.

by pablo on Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:11 pm
pablo
Forum Contributor
I always pack the tripod in a checked  bag that has a TSA approved lock on it.  Never a problem, but about 1/3 of time I find a nice from TSA that they opened my bag for security reasons.  Not a problem. I guess the screeners are programmed to check long tubular contents.  I always pack so the tripod is on top so they immediately recognize the tripod without digging deeper.

by Jens Peermann on Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:26 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Just clamp the tripod onto a drone and let it follow the plane. Just make sure to fly the drone at least 100 feet above the plane to make sure you stay out of the wake. :D
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:30 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Jens Peermann wrote:Just clamp the tripod onto a drone and let it follow the plane. Just make sure to fly the drone at least 100 feet above the plane to make sure you stay out of the wake. :D
What a great biz opportuninty in a few years :D - just get a drone service to deliver all your gear to wherever you are shooting and then take it away when you are done - no need for dealing with an airline.  Reduces the risk of getting the crap kicked out of you if flying United :D

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:35 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
If it's theft you're worried about, try this one. It's less likely to be stolen:

https://www.uniquephoto.com/vanguard-ni ... velo-214pk
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:00 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
SantaFeJoe wrote:If it's theft you're worried about, try this one. It's less likely to be stolen:

https://www.uniquephoto.com/vanguard-ni ... velo-214pk
.. as long as you aren't traveling to Japan :)  They really do like pink camera gear there!

by ChrisRoss on Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:56 am
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
Another vote for a long wheeled duffel, pack the tripod in and surround it with clothing. The smaller gitzo tripods will fit diagonally across a regular medium-large suitcase. The suitcase is how I traveled with my old 1325 Gitzo, the new 3542XLS is too long and needs a duffel type bag to fit.Both cases head is removed. I've packed the Wimberley or a ball head in the suitcase with the tripod.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by Wildflower-nut on Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:18 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Instead of a suitcase, I use a duffel with wheels and check that in.  They make them long enough for any conceivable tripod.  I have traveled multiple times per month for 16 years all over the country and world this way and never once had a tripod stolen or had a problem.

I've found it best pack the tripod in the top of the load in the duffel bag without the head.  My bag does not have wheels as it reduces the capacity/volume (at least in the bags I've found), raises the weight of the bag and reduces the net weight of gear transported.  Sometimes the luggage handlers drag the bag and then the tripod spider can effectively be ground by the tarmac.  No permanent damage, just cosmetic.  Been doing this 25+ years no issues.

by amullis on Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:29 am
amullis
Forum Contributor
I pack my Gitzo carbon fiber 1531 inside my checked bag. I usually carry a RRS BH-40 ballhead inside my camera bag carry on. The reason I carry the ballhead on the plane is in the event my checked bag is lost or the tripod is stolen, I can still find a cheap tripod at a Wal-Mart or Best Buy and still do photography while "deployed".

by Paul Fusco on Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:13 am
Paul Fusco
Forum Contributor
There are specialized bags for golf clubs and fishing rods that may be suitable. Also bags for lighting equipment that have a long shape. I believe all are available as hard or soft cases.

Paul
[b]Paul J. Fusco
NSN 0120[/b]

NSN Portfolio
http://www.naturescapes.net/portfolios/portfolio.php?cat=10317

by baldsparrow on Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:19 am
baldsparrow
Forum Contributor
Paul Fusco wrote:There are specialized bags for golf clubs and fishing rods that may be suitable. Also bags for lighting equipment that have a long shape. I believe all are available as hard or soft cases.

Paul
The problem with specialized bags is that they scream "valuable" and so one assumes are more likely to be stolen. 

by Wildflower-nut on Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:46 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
I would also suggest that after I take the head off, I put an acorn nut on the tripod in its place.  This protects the threads should the tripod get whacked or ground on the tarmac.  Again, I've flown all over the US and world doing putting it in a duflfel with no problem.

by billg71 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:46 pm
billg71
Forum Contributor
+1 on the duffel, you may have to pay to check the bag but you can carry a lot more stuff. I use theFishpond Rodeo rolling duffel but you have to be careful not to go overweight, it'll hold more than the airlines allow weight-wise.

Just a tip: it's usually cheaper to check a second bag than pay overweight charges on the first. Flying sucks!

16 posts |