« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
by neverspook on Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:13 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
I have seen it posted somewhere online that to tighten the small screws on Canon cameras, regular North American screwdrivers are far from ideal. This post said to use Japanese JIS screwdrivers as they are shaped slightly differently than our Phillips ones etc and are less likely to damage the tiny screw heads.

I have contacted Canon Canada to find out what type and size of screwdrivers are needed to tighten screws on my 1DX and have been told by CPS that they don't have and cannot access that information. That is very surprising, disappointing and frustrating.

Do any of you have this information, either from Canon USA or from your own experimentation?

I want to find out what specific screwdriver type and what sizes of these I will need to tighten any screws that might loosen off. Canon Canada suggested I just sent the camera to them for this, but not only is that expensive and ridiculous to ship the camera across the country and be without it for something so simple, it does not allow me to tighten screws that loosen while I am out in the field in the middle of nowhere. I am headed to the middle of nowhere in the not to distant future so want to add the right screwdrivers to my tool kit.

Any input much appreciated.

Roberta Olenick
www.neverspook.com

by Mike in O on Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:16 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
amazon US
https://www.amazon.com/Hozan-JIS-5-JIS- ... B003F63WI8

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:46 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
What Mike said.  FYI, JIS = Japanese Industrial Standard. Here's another link:

http://www.micro-tools.com/searchm.htm? ... s&x=8&y=11

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

Last edited by SantaFeJoe on Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by ChrisRoss on Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:23 pm
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
yes JIS, the screwdriver tips look quite similar to Phillips head but are designed to not "cam out" this means the screwdriver won't twist out of the screw head when tightening. Its important to use JIS drivers to avoid damaging and stripping out the head on the screw.

Canon technicians would know what to use but" policy" won't let you talk to an actual tech who may be able to tell you if allowed by policy.

I have this set: http://www.ebay.com/p/Moody-Tools-Set-o ... 1400782124

good quality and includes drivers that will fit camera screws. Just don't forget to put it in your checked baggage when traveling!!
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by neverspook on Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:33 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
Thanks everyone.
Chris and Joe, I am seeing a number of scewdriver options at the links you provided. Can you direct me more specifically to what I should get? Not sure the Amazon US one from Mike will ship to Canada and seems the handles are a bit bulkier than ideal for travelling.

Thanks,
Roberta

by WDCarrier on Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:39 pm
WDCarrier
Forum Contributor
Mike, I had the same problem. Found an excellent set at Amazon for $9.95. It's the Kobalt 18 in One Precision set, 4 Phillips w/ blades on reverse and 4 star-shaped plus handle. The small 5/64 Phillips worked perfectly for tightening all the loose screws on m 7D and the lenses. No slippage/no damage. And it's small and compact for the camera bag. If I could figure out how to add an image to a response I'd send you a picture.
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” MLK[/font]

by Mike in O on Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:18 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
WDCarrier wrote:Mike,  I had the same problem.  Found an excellent set at Amazon for $9.95.  It's the Kobalt 18 in One Precision set, 4 Phillips w/ blades on reverse and 4 star-shaped plus handle.  The small 5/64 Phillips worked perfectly for tightening all the loose screws on m 7D and the lenses.  No slippage/no damage.  And it's small and compact for the camera bag. If I could figure out how to add an image to a response I'd send you a picture.
Phillip heads have a sharp terminal point whereas the JIS have a flat point which the screw were designed for.

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:20 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
The research I have done indicates sizes 1, 0, 00, and 000. I can't give you specific info regarding brands and styles. Sorry. Here is a boring, but somewhat informative, link about the differences between types of screwdrivers:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iHe11YMxmo0

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:34 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I can't make a link work to this set on MicroTools, but the SKU is 58-0319 and the UPC is 018018803193. It includes the four sizes mentioned above and sells for $23.06. It is made by Moody Tools.

Joe

by WDCarrier on Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:14 am
WDCarrier
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:
WDCarrier wrote:Mike,  I had the same problem.  Found an excellent set at Amazon for $9.95.  It's the Kobalt 18 in One Precision set, 4 Phillips w/ blades on reverse and 4 star-shaped plus handle.  The small 5/64 Phillips worked perfectly for tightening all the loose screws on m 7D and the lenses.  No slippage/no damage.  And it's small and compact for the camera bag. If I could figure out how to add an image to a response I'd send you a picture.
Phillip heads have a sharp terminal point whereas the JIS have a flat point which the screw were designed for.

Whatever shape these were, they did the job.
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” MLK[/font]

by ChrisRoss on Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:45 am
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
my set is 58-0319  moody tools and come in a small pouch.  My link should open directly to the item, just ignore all the other
'helpful" stuff below provided by Ebay.  title is "Moody Tools Set of 4 JIS Type Drivers ESD 58-0319"
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by neverspook on Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:56 am
neverspook
Forum Contributor
ChrisRoss wrote:my set is 58-0319  moody tools and come in a small pouch.  My link should open directly to the item, just ignore all the other
'helpful" stuff below provided by Ebay.  title is "Moody Tools Set of 4 JIS Type Drivers ESD 58-0319"

Perfect, thanks.

12 posts |