Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
by Craig Lipski on Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:31 pm
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Location: The bustling metropolis of Fowlerville, Michigan, and the Texas Lower Rio Grande Valley
Member #:00495
I may be in the market for a new camera body.

I have a 40D, which is OK in great light, but not much for BIF or high ISO, and only 10 mpx.
I have a 1D Mk IV, which is good for all of the above, and has 16 mpx.

But, I've been dabbling in, and now that I'm retired, have more opportunities for, landscapes.  Dynamic range has become an issue.
Obviously, my "stable" of lenses are Canon mount.

I don't need 30 mpx (although I have nothing against it!)  :lol:

I have PS CS6, and have no interest in upgrading to CC.

I don't want to deal w/ DNG.

I'm mainly looking for better dynamic range and low-light performance, with the emphasis on the former.

AF speed, number of focus points, and FPS aren't critical.  Video doesn't matter.  Nor wifi, gps, etc.

APS-C is, to my mind, too cropped - APS-H or full frame would work for me.

Out of production used is OK - I'm not broke, but I don't need to pony up for a 5D3 or 1DX (even if they would work w/ CS6 - I don't know.)

Advice?

Thanks in advance.

by Bill Chambers on Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:19 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
I'm a Nikon shooter so I'm afraid I don't know didley about Canon but there may be a side issue that affects you with any newer camera body. You mentioned you're using PS CS6 (me too). Adobe isn't supporting it anymore so unless you have a separate RAW processor that supports newer cameras you could run into problems. I use Capture One 9 Pro (need to upgrade to ver. 10). Just something to be aware of.
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by Craig Lipski on Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:21 pm
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Location: The bustling metropolis of Fowlerville, Michigan, and the Texas Lower Rio Grande Valley
Thanks Bill,
I was aware that ACR isn't "up to date" w/ newer cameras in CS6 - that's why I mentioned that I wasn't interested in CC or DNG, and would be OK w/ something older. I should look into Capture One - thanks!

by DChan on Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:36 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
If you're considering using Capture One Pro, then you can consider newer cameras and I have a feeling you cannot afford not to if dynamic range is a concern. Dynamic range does not seem to be the forte of Canon. Since you likely would prefer using your Canon lenses you may want to consider Sony, which could mean newer cameras that CS 6 no longer supports. Then gain, you could be using Capture One and so  things would be fine :)

by Joerg Rockenberger on Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:46 pm
Joerg Rockenberger
Forum Contributor
QDChan wrote:If you're considering using Capture One Pro, then you can consider newer cameras and I have a feeling you cannot afford not to if dynamic range is a concern. Dynamic range does not seem to be the forte of Canon. Since you likely would prefer using your Canon lenses you may want to consider Sony, which could mean newer cameras that CS 6 no longer supports. Then gain, you could be using Capture One and so  things would be fine :)
The Sony a7rii is supported by CS 6. Great option if dynamic range is a major concern. Can't personally attest to the compatibility with Canon lenses but it seems to work quite well for many folks. 

Joerg

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:45 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I think your clear upgrade path would be a Canon EOS 80D

by Neilyb on Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:50 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Well, if it is purely for landscapes and Canon lenses are your concern then either the A7R or A7RmkII would be a solid bet, using one of the many converters. Canon, despite recent advancements, cannot match Sony sensors for DR at base ISO. Manually focussing is no bother either, and the electronic viewfinder helps in that regard.

If of course you want to replace our 40D at the same time and have a camera capable of action too, then the 80D might be worth looking at. The 5D4 is absolutely a great all rounder but more pricey.

by lacy on Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:10 pm
lacy
Forum Contributor
There is more then one way to create images with a high DR and  pulling the shadows in post while it is the easiest way is not the only way to do it. There are plenty of amazing landscape work still being done with Canon cameras so the most cost effective way to improve your landscape images would be to take some courses in luminosity masking and hand blending multiple images.
If you're not comfortable with that level of post work then if you want to stay with a Canon body you're looking at 80D, 5DMKIV or waiting to see if Canon replaces the 6D the other option as mentioned is to go with Sony with a adapter. Personally I am waiting to see if Canon comes out with a 6DMKII my 6D has been a wonderful landscape camera I only wish it had more MP.

Don Lacy 
https://500px.com/lacy
Don Lacy

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:01 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Actually since Don brings it up and you aren't really obsessed with getting the latest technology and high megapixels, the EOS 6D is a very capable landscape photography camera that is full frame and doesn't break the bank, especially if you get a good used one.

by Craig Lipski on Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:49 pm
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the thoughts, all.
Sounds like for me, the 6D would be the way to go.  Full frame, low noise, low and high usable iso, better dynamic range than I'm used to, will work w/ my version of ACR, and I'm in no hurry, so used ones should be hitting the market at attractive prices!

by sdaconsulting on Tue May 02, 2017 10:22 pm
sdaconsulting
Forum Contributor
If you want "better dynamic range" for landscapes with your Canon lenses, you really should be looking at the Sony cameras and an adapter. The latest Sony FF bodies have 2 stops better range, and are also free from the pattern noise / banding you see in most Canon sensors when the shadows are pushed. You also don't have mirror slap on the A7RII like you do on dSLRs unless you always use mirror lock-up (which disengages the viewfinder).
Matthew Cromer

by lacy on Wed May 03, 2017 5:28 pm
lacy
Forum Contributor
sdaconsulting wrote:If you want "better dynamic range" for landscapes with your Canon lenses, you really should be looking at the Sony cameras and an adapter. The latest Sony FF bodies have 2 stops better range, and are also free from the pattern noise / banding you see in most Canon sensors when the shadows are pushed. You also don't have mirror slap on the A7RII like you do on dSLRs unless you always use mirror lock-up (which disengages the viewfinder).
If he gets the 6D he will not have to deal with pattern noise or banding Canon had corrected most of that issue when the 6D was released your still about 2 stops behind the Sony sensor in over all DR but depending on how you shoot and your post skills not really an issue for most images. As far as mirror slap you can always shoot in live view if it is an issue. The A7RII is the best landscape camera short of medium format out there right now but it is also expensive and for someone wanting to get their feet wet in landscapes maybe not the best choice to start with. 
Don Lacy

by Ed Okie on Fri May 05, 2017 8:23 am
Ed Okie
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:I think your clear upgrade path would be a Canon EOS 80D
Craig, your fundamental question in search of "the best" (camera/software, etc) hints at landscape interests, but your question is far less exacting in achievement goals desired. Your question reads as if in search of a Magic Bullet.
A perceived need for far better dynamic range, a "must have" full frame sensor, contradicted by little interest in sensor megapixels, or other new camera features, and today still using an old 40D camera body? The equation doesn't balance.
First question: Is it your - monitor - that is also appreciably out of date? Never been color calibrated, no adjustments available for brightness levels, dynamic range, etc. In another post you submitted wondering about a digital projector... when a high-def big-screen TV is an easy answer. Missing is an overall perspective of today's photography and what you're trying to accomplish. Are you currently shooting hundreds of pictures... or just thinking about it?
If your perspective is based on using a very old Canon 40D, combined with a reluctance to give up an outdated version of Photoshop... you're setting yourself up for disappointment.
I concur with E.J.'s recommendation for the 80D, a very modern-era camera (overlooked because it isn't labeled a "Pro" camera, our egos get in the way). It is light in weight, inexpensive, "cheap" relative to other bodies - yet has high-end components within that have filtered down from far more expensive Canon bodies. I'm inclined to suggest it is today's bargain.
Case in point: I've had a 5D MkIII for years, when the 80D was released a year ago I bought one as a backup body. Wildlife, landscapes, macro, studio work and a variety of other area interests. A $3,500 -vs- $1,100 camera body hardly seems like a fair match, yet 20,000+ images later... I actually prefer the 80D!
Caveats abound: I use high-quality prime lenses (hint-hint... first and foremost put your money into glass, not camera bodies. Image-file output is viewed on a high-end desktop 32" color calibrated monitor (27" is arguably the sweet-spot of size and price, 24" a very minimum). Post-processing skills, whatever the software - the mythical "magic bullet" does not exist. Skill-use is mandatory. (Especially behind the camera, i.e, get it right at camera level, not "I'll fix it later in PS"). Not willing to make the commitment? Possibly you're barking up the wrong tree.
I use LR CC and, yes, cuss at it often despite driven by a very high end workstation), but LR's capability is nothing to sneeze at; Capture One Pro 10, allegedly "better" but apparently not intuitive, carries a steep learning curve, and pricey - it doesn't seem like a worthy fit for your implied dollars available, skill level and shooting purpose.
Truth be told, with well honed skills any decent software tends to negate the perceived lack of dynamic range when you start with a raw-image file. Our maybe... you're not shooting raw images? Ouch.
RAW-file shooting and processing ability, if you're not willing to venture into that area, neither landscape shooting nor any other venue holds promise of stellar success.
An old version of Photoshop 6 combined with a use-perspective based on an outdated 40D camera body - is a warning flag picture of future dissatisfaction in whatever is your direction in the years ahead. You're either progressing... or regressing with your interests. There's not much middle ground.
Back to square one: Is the perceived need for greater dynamic range in reality a result of using an old monitor? The most exotic of camera bodies or brand names... is meaningless if the monitor is ancient.
Second vast improvement: E.J.'s recommendation for the Canon 80D. Excellent dynamic range at ISO 100, better than most other cameras!
Then lean toward using high quality prime lenses, or start with just one. A case full isn't necessary. That ol' 28-135mm wobbly plastic Canon zoom of yesteryear just won't cut it. If I had to carry only one lens for travel landscape work and general shooting it is the Canon 100mm f/2.8 prime lens coupled to the 80D body (and a worthy tripod.) Not wide enough? One lens still works, think outside the box: shoot panorama files, rotate the body vertically if necessary; today's software is remarkable in ease of use for pano work.
A solid vote for E.J.'s recommended Canon 80D, but the first question is monitor used, is that where your issues lie?

13 posts |