« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 15 posts | 
by Jan Wegener on Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:47 pm
Jan Wegener
Forum Contributor
Member #:00917
Hi Guys,

I have been using a Gitzo 5541 LS and a Wimberley Head II for the last 7 years and while this is a nice combo, I can't say I am totally happy with it. I put a 600 L IS II on it.
I find the Gitzo annoying to use and the Wimberley Head while very functional, doesn't always seem the most stable solution. 
Are there better options around or would it be worth to upgrading the tripod and maybe getting a new Wimberley that hasn't seen as much use?
In terms of the Gitzos, I feel like you can never find the right amount of tightening for the legs, they are either too lose and flop around when you cary it or you tighten them too much at the base and then it's hard to set up the tripod.
On the leg sections, the rubber grips come lose, which makes it hard to tighten and losen the leg sections. 

Wimberley Head is pretty awesome, but it's hard to find a sweet spot where the head is relatively stable, but not too tight to move easily. I love how easily I can attach the flashbrackets etc, so maybe I will just stick with it, but I wondered if there was something, that would be better with lower shutter speeds, but just as functional, since with birds, you can't just tighten it all down.

My requirements are:

- It can't be too heavy (I need to walk with it)
- stable
- at least as tall as 5541LS
- needs to pack to a size that fits a suitcase for travel
- price is secondary

Are the new Gitzos any better than the older series 5541Ls I have? Would it be worth an upgrade?

Are there any better solutions out there?

Thanks for your input :)

by Brian E. Small on Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:18 pm
Brian E. Small
Forum Contributor
Member #:00479
Jan Wegener wrote:Hi Guys,

I have been using a Gitzo 5541 LS and a Wimberley Head II for the last 7 years and while this is a nice combo, I can't say I am totally happy with it. I put a 600 L IS II on it.
I find the Gitzo annoying to use and the Wimberley Head while very functional, doesn't always seem the most stable solution. 
Are there better options around or would it be worth to upgrading the tripod and maybe getting a new Wimberley that hasn't seen as much use?
In terms of the Gitzos, I feel like you can never find the right amount of tightening for the legs, they are either too lose and flop around when you cary it or you tighten them too much at the base and then it's hard to set up the tripod.
On the leg sections, the rubber grips come lose, which makes it hard to tighten and losen the leg sections. 

Wimberley Head is pretty awesome, but it's hard to find a sweet spot where the head is relatively stable, but not too tight to move easily. I love how easily I can attach the flashbrackets etc, so maybe I will just stick with it, but I wondered if there was something, that would be better with lower shutter speeds, but just as functional, since with birds, you can't just tighten it all down.

My requirements are:

- It can't be too heavy (I need to walk with it)
- stable
- at least as tall as 5541LS
- needs to pack to a size that fits a suitcase for travel
- price is secondary

Are the new Gitzos any better than the older series 5541Ls I have? Would it be worth an upgrade?

Are there any better solutions out there?

Thanks for your input :)
Jan,

I know Australia is a long way from the U.S. but you might consider sending your Wimberley in for service.  Seven years of relatively hard use will take it's toll for sure.  And I believe that since that model first came out they've made some slight modifications to it that they'd probably update for you if you send it in.  If you describe to them you're looking for that "sweet spot" they'll know what you're talking about.  

As for a tripod recommendation I'll leave that to someone else.

by SantaFeJoe on Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:12 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Re: tripod head, I know this is something that probably nobody but me will recommend, but a Manfrotto video head is my choice for BIF. It is stable, adjustable, handles a heavy load, has a leveling ball base for 75mm video bowl, can be used w/o handle, nothing above lens/camera to get in the way, no "ballhead flop", etc. The main drawback is that it doesn't use an Arca type plate. An Arca style QR can be attached to the Manfrotto QR plate, though. A 502HD or 504HD may be a consideration for you.

https://www.manfrotto.us/products/video ... ideo-heads

I have no complaints about any Gitzo tripod I have ever owned, so I highly recommend them, but others have different opinions on this forum occasionally. Here are a couple of links to recent threads on tripods:

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=267122

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=269126

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Robert Sabin on Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:30 pm
Robert Sabin
Forum Contributor
I had a similar problem. The simplest thing to do is to lubricate the head with Wimberly grease which came with the head, or an automotive grease...

by ronzie on Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:06 pm
ronzie
Forum Contributor
One advantage of some of the video heads is the tilt movable fitting of the pan/tilt handle. Those that have the notched socket that fits the handle to the head allow placing the handle in a comfortable tilt position where the camera is higher than you or need to drop it for close fitting quarters.

Regarding the drag fluid you will get some viscosity change over an extreme temperature range.

by Bob Boner on Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:32 am
Bob Boner
Lifetime Member
Member #:00059
I have a Gitzo that I use with a 600mm (first version) which is considerably heavier than yours. My Gitzo is in the 3xxx series and works quite well. I also have the first Gitzo carbon in the 5xxx series, and the 3xxx is just as sturdy. I think the 5xxx is overkill. The one I have is the latest version and has no center post. I also use the Wimberly II head with it. Since you're concerned about weight (as I am at 76 years) I would try your setup on a 3xxx series if possible before you decide which to buy. Two of my wildlife photo friends (the 2 best photogs I know) also use the 3xxx for their 600's.
Bob Boner

by Wildflower-nut on Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:39 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
I'd agree that the 3000 series gitzo is sufficient. I've been using the GT3542XLS for a long long time in its various editions. Note they "improved" the leg locks on the recent Gitzos and there has been some discussion here. I've not tried the current GT3543XLS I've also used the 4th generations mongoose head with the full swing added. Works like to wimberly but significantly lighter. The standard side mount is workable but I like it better with the full swing.

by ChrisRoss on Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:03 am
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
I've got a 3542XLS which I'm happy with along with a Wimberley, used with a type 1 Canon 500mm, I find the leg locks on mine sort of on-off, loose you can slide the legs, then give them a twist and they lock solid. Maybe you could try replacing the internal sleeve components to see if the operation improves. Mine came with a spare set of internals. The extra long legs on the XLS are very helpful.

Maybe try someone else's newer Wimberley to see if there's a noticeable difference. I find I need to lightly turn the knobs to just very slightly tighten easier to do than explain and that gives about the right resistance. Also of course make sure your balance is perfect I find very small increments of movement make a difference. If you're ever in Sydney you'd be welcome to try my legs to see if newer stuff is better, my usage has been relatively light.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by jtanner on Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:05 pm
jtanner
Forum Contributor
Have you looked at the offerings from Really Right Stuff? You can buy direct from them or B&H now carries them too. Very solid precision made gear.

by Mike in O on Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:33 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
I use a Benro CF and like it...my head is either a wimberlyII (which is very heavy) and the Acratech long lens head. Both are used with an acratec leveler. Hiking, the Acratech gets used. It has one draw back, it will flop but if you pay attention, it is not a problem. Another advantage with the acratech is that can be used like a ballhead for smaller lens combos.

by Karl Egressy on Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:43 am
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
I have three gimbal heads of different manufacturers.
The only one that takes fill flash without upsetting the balance is Wimberley.
(I use Wimberley flash arms.)

by Wildflower-nut on Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:46 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
Karl Egressy wrote:I have three gimbal heads of different manufacturers.

Curious.  What were the other two where it did not work?

by Karl Egressy on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:52 am
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
Wildflower-nut wrote:

One is a Jobu Black Widow. I can put on the Wimberley flash arm, the groove on the lower arm takes it.
However, I can not fully balance it even though I have a very low profile 4th Generation replacement foot on my 500 lens.
The other is a 4th Generation Gimbal head M-3.6 with an Integrated Flash Arm.
I always have the Low Mount Arm attached to the head, maybe this is the problem.

by Wildflower-nut on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:29 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
Karl Egressy wrote:
Wildflower-nut wrote:

One is a Jobu Black Widow. I can put on the Wimberley flash arm, the groove on the lower arm takes it.
However, I can not fully balance it even though I have a very low profile 4th Generation replacement foot on my 500 lens.
The other is a 4th Generation Gimbal head M-3.6 with an Integrated Flash Arm.
I always have the Low Mount Arm attached to the head, maybe this is the problem.

Thanks.  I use the 4th generation set up you are talking about too but rarely with flash

by billg71 on Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:15 pm
billg71
Forum Contributor
I go back and forth with the Wimberly between the RRS TVC-33 and The Gitzo 5541LS. The RRS is a couple pounds lighter but the Gitzo has the Markins hub on it and is a lot less bulky. It's also a couple inches shorter collapsed than the RRS.

The RRS is a fine tripod and I'm very happy with it. I wouldn't have bought it new since I had the Gitzo but I caught a good deal on a lightly used one and couldn't pass it up. It's $975 US new now.

I found that if I removed the bolts from the legs, cleaned everything thoroughly and put it all back together with just a drop or 2 of light oil it was a lot easier to get the tension set where it suited me. I haven't had any problems with the rubber grips on the leg locks to date(knock wood) and I bought the tripod used in 2013.

Best,
Bill

15 posts |