All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by James W. Milligan on Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:00 pm
James W. Milligan
Lifetime Member
Member #:00249
I bought the lens new and it does not ship with a hood. I have tried to locate a hood but with no luck. Is a hood available for this lens?

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:18 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
James W. Milligan wrote:I bought the lens new and it does not ship with a hood. I have tried to locate a hood but with no luck. Is a hood available for this lens?
Mine certainly came with a hood.  And B&H also confirms that current lenses come with a hood (see below).  So your first step should be to call whoever sold it to you and demand to get one.  It sounds like you either got a mispackaged one, failed to see it in the box, got a returned lens that wasn't returned with all the parts, or bought it from a shady gray market place that parts them out to give you a lower price.  Replacing a Sony lens hood can be a real problem.  I had to replace a lost hood on my 24-70 f/4 FE lens and had to get one from China (original Sony) as they aren't sold in the USA and weren't in Europe where I was when I lost it.  That cost me about $90 with all of the fees.  The hood you need is available from a place in Illinois on eBay:
http://tinyurl.com/n5hyq25

Here's the "What's in the box" from B&H:

by James W. Milligan on Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:31 pm
James W. Milligan
Lifetime Member
E.J. Peiker wrote:
James W. Milligan wrote:I bought the lens new and it does not ship with a hood. I have tried to locate a hood but with no luck. Is a hood available for this lens?
Mine certainly came with a hood.  And B&H also confirms that current lenses come with a hood (see below).  So your first step should be to call whoever sold it to you and demand to get one.  It sounds like you either got a mispackaged one, failed to see it in the box, got a returned lens that wasn't returned with all the parts, or bought it from a shady gray market place that parts them out to give you a lower price.  Replacing a Sony lens hood can be a real problem.  I had to replace a lost hood on my 24-70 f/4 FE lens and had to get one from China (original Sony) as they aren't sold in the USA and weren't in Europe where I was when I lost it.  That cost me about $90 with all of the fees.  The hood you need is available from a place in Illinois on eBay:
http://tinyurl.com/n5hyq25

Here's the "What's in the box" from B&H:

Interesting,lens was bought from Adorama and was new. I will check box ,but doubt that the hood was packed. I did find a hood at keh but was out of stock.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:14 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Definitely call Adorama if you don't find it.  Here's the same info from Adorama:

by James W. Milligan on Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:07 pm
James W. Milligan
Lifetime Member
E.J. Peiker wrote:Definitely call Adorama if you don't find it.  Here's the same info from Adorama:

Mystery solved,lens hood was in the bottom of the case, which I never use.Oh well,getting a bit long of tooth !!!!

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:24 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
:)

by Mike in O on Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:16 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
There is a thread on dyxum about a fellow 3d printing a hood, pretty interesting
http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/3d-printabl ... page1.html

by sdaconsulting on Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:25 am
sdaconsulting
Forum Contributor
I bought a 55/1.8 FE used (for a nice price!) but no hood.

The hoods were available for about $35 from an Amazon dealer including shipping. I procrastinated and now they are about $60.

:(

I did end up getting this guy instead for $150:

https://www.amazon.com/Meike-Fisheye-So ... B01MXY0SAX

I know most of you can't stand stuff like that but I'm really having a blast with it! Nice IQ even if the circle is small on my A7R (the lens is supposed to be a circle on APS-C but is slightly cropped on that format, so I greatly prefer using it on FF). It also has a pretty cool "light outline" that goes around the image circle, so another reason to shoot it FF.

Makes (to me!) beautiful circular 180 degree images, sharp lens and costs practically nothing.
Matthew Cromer

8 posts |