« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 28 posts | 
by orb0554 on Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:44 am
orb0554
Forum Contributor
You have demonstrated that the GT5533LS is capable of holding the designed weight and more. Regardless, the design has changed as the older GT5532LS is a rigid product even before loading it down.

Just to clarify, I wanted the series 25 to replace my existing GT1541T that I use for traveling/flights. I was not considering the series 2 vs the series 5. I just found the GT2545T to have excessive flex specially compared to my existing GT1541T. Ditto for the monopod.

It has been a learning experience with Gitzo's new design.

Thank you.

by Greg Downing on Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:17 am
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
The reason you can make the legs wobble in your video is because they are not fully tightened. The design of the leg locks is such that the more downward pressure the tighter they get. In your example there is zero downward pressure and the play you're getting is because they have not properly seated. Like I said if you were to settle the tripod in simply by putting some initial pressure on it it would be solid as a rock and much better than any previous model they ever made. Trust me I have used all of them and the leg locks are far superior then previous versions. You just have to know how they work and use them accordingly.
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:51 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I have owned at least 8 Gitzo CF tripods starting with the Mountaineer 1228 in the mid 90s when they first came out, and including two 5 series and about four 3 series. I have never had a problem with any of them. Nothing at all!!! All have been solid when properly used and I don't baby my equipment, ever. The continual improvements are impressive. Some of the latest models are even better looking in the visual appearance of the weave, something I have always desired.
Greg, I think you edited out the grunts in your video!!!
Here is a link to a tour of the Gitzo factory. If it doesn't come out directly, click on the video by Vincent Oliver. It talks about the way the G-locks work better under load.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AEgbj5J5n9Q

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Greg Downing on Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:53 am
Greg Downing
Publisher
Like I said Joe I am getting to old for this stuff....my hanging from tripods days are coming to an end :P

Thanks for the post.
Greg Downing
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by john on Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:53 am
john
Lifetime Member
Member #:00404
Ha Ha! Video needs some music lol

by Chas on Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:21 pm
Chas
Lifetime Member
Member #:00037
Really Right Stuff (RRS) for me!
I have personally had numerous casting flaw cracks in the flanges and leveling bases on Gitzo tripods, resulting in gear falling to the ground.
Additionally, I have seen many legs brake at the flange on many Gitzo tripods when used in cold weather in deeper snow. (Arctic Yellowstone, etc). Gitzo threads and epoxy the legs to the flange. Threading the CF legs makes them thinner and more susceptible to breaking in severe cold weather. You MUST pull out the leg stays when pushing the tripods into deep snow so that the legs can splay out without stress!

Best,

Chas
Charles Glatzer M.Photog, Canon Explorer of Light, https://about.me/charlesglatzer
Check out www.shootthelight.com for info on workshops, seminars, appearances, etc.
NSN 0037

by Mike in O on Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:35 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
The trouble with RRS is that they are great funders of the Alt-Right (anti-gay etc.) which many people don't care and that is their right as is my right not to buy from them.

by Greg Downing on Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:39 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Chas wrote:Really Right Stuff (RRS) for me!
I have personally had numerous casting flaw cracks in the flanges and leveling bases on Gitzo tripods, resulting in gear falling to the ground.
Additionally, I have seen many legs brake at the flange on many Gitzo tripods when used in cold weather in deeper snow. (Arctic Yellowstone, etc). Gitzo threads and epoxy the legs to the flange. Threading the CF legs makes them thinner and more susceptible to breaking in severe cold weather. You MUST pull out the leg stays when pushing the tripods into deep snow so that the legs can splay out without stress!

Best,

Chas
I'll let you and EJ argue the merits of RRS :P 

FWIW Gitzo changed that leg design a number of years ago and I have not had that issue (even with older models.) I did have one do that in about 1999 but it was aluminum lol
Greg Downing

28 posts |