« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
by rajandesai on Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:42 am
rajandesai
Forum Contributor
Member #:01263
Has anybody here used or considered MeFoto Globetrotter Air tripods for a combinations like Canon 5DMIII + 24-70 f/2.8 II?
I am traveling to Italy and trying to travel light with just a carry on. I am looking for a travel tripod that is sturdy enough to handle above combination. This is going to be a mainly family trip but I hope to find some time to go out and shoot Tuscan landscape. 

MeFoto Globetrotter Air (Aluminium) folds down to 12.1 in, weighs 3.2lb and is rated to handle max load of 17.6lb. The newer "air" version seems little more stable compared to the older "classic" version.

As far as I understand, MeFoto are made by Benro. Does anybody have any thoughts on Benro it self?

Today's B&H DealZone has Benro TMA28C Series 2 Carbon fiber tripod for $149.00. Has anybody used this tripod for serious landscape photography?

Thanks for your thoughts and help.

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:36 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I have a MeFoto Roadtrip that is similar in capacity, a bit longer collapsed length and different leg locks. It is a reasonably sturdy tripod, but with the typical limitations of a compact tripod. Good technique is mandatory on a camera/lens combo the size you want to use. I don't consider it a lightweight (physical weight) by any means. The head is decent. I have never seen any twist leg locks (Globetrotter Air) like these that functioned well. It would be hard to use at any length other than fully extended. I use the Roadtrip for a Samsung Galaxy s7. I prefer a full-size tripod when I don't need compactness, but the Roadtrip is a good tripod for travel. I used to have a Gitzo Traveler and liked it very much, but the price is considerably higher.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:48 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
You may have seen this review, but it is a nice overview:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iMT9Ntkpjdo

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:27 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I have one, the CF version, that I am testing out for some upcoming travel where I need to stay super light and mobile. It is definitely more stable than the RoadTrip referenced above.

by rajandesai on Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:13 am
rajandesai
Forum Contributor
Member #:01263
I ordered GlobeTrotter Air (Aluminium) and will be testing it out as well. I looked at the "air" and "classic (older)" pods side-by-side. The newer "air" is definitely much improved and feels sturdier. I'll post my experience once I get back.

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:11 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Please let us know down the road how well the leg locks hold up under the weight and how secure they feel. Also, how easy they are to securely tighten and how easy they are to grip to loosen and fasten.

Joe

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:44 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Hey E.J.
How did the CF tripod work out for you?

Joe

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:51 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
SantaFeJoe wrote:Hey E.J.
How did the CF tripod work out for you?

Joe
It's great - all my Singapore shots including some very long exposures on a 42mp camera were done with it and no issues.  But, I didn't read the original title correctly, I do not have the Air version - I have the traditional CF legs.

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:12 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Thanks, E.J.
I had assumed it wasn't the Air. I think the twist lock would be a weak point. Do you have the RoadTrip, BackPacker or GlobeTrotter?
Joe

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:58 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
GlobeTrotter - I didn't find the others stable enough.

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:04 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Thank, E.J.

11 posts |