Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by Robert Sabin on Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:50 am
Robert Sabin
Forum Contributor
Recently on a trip to Canada to photograph snowy owl's, I used a 7D2+100-400 ver 2. I had the IS on 1.
Most of the pictures did not come out sharp with fast moving flying birds at 1/1600 to 12500 ss.

I suspect that the IS SLOWED the focus down, just enough to wreck my pictures with unsharpness?

I guess I should have used IS 2, Or NOTHING above 1/000th of a second?

Does IS 2 slow Focus down on fast moving birds with a shutter speed of 1/000th +?

Thanks!

Robert

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:28 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
IS Mode 1 is designed to try to keep an image still with the camera NOT panning.  The IS is basically fighting against your panning motion if you try to shoot subjects while panning and they will not be sharp.  Mode 2 is designed to be used while panning and doesn't fight you as it turns off stabilization in the direction of the pan.  You should never be in Mode 1 for what you were doing.  You would have been nearly infinitely better to just have turned IS off.  It has nothing to do with speed of focus.

by Charlie Woodrich on Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:21 pm
Charlie Woodrich
Forum Contributor
Probably nothing or mode 3.  Mode 3 only activates when the shutter is released.  This is my default mode.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:57 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
This is direct from the Canon website on this lens:
- Three image stabilization modes (standard, panning, and during exposure only) provide outstanding results for a wide range of shooting situations

by Charlie Woodrich on Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:29 pm
Charlie Woodrich
Forum Contributor
Just to build on this a bit, from DP Review, "Mode 3 keeps the IS computation running in the background, but disables the actual stabilizing mechanism until the moment of exposure. This is useful when tracking erratic subjects that can cause unwanted IS movement of the viewfinder image, and it reduces battery drain when the camera has to be kept on standby for long periods, waiting for the moment."

by Mike in O on Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:35 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
I would be highly suspect if I used DPreview as a source.

by Charlie Woodrich on Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:44 pm
Charlie Woodrich
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:I would be highly suspect if I used DPreview as a source.
From the Canon manual on mode 3, "Since camera shake is stabilized only during exposure, following a subject is easier such as when shooting a fast and irregularly moving player during sports photography.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:18 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
All great info, bottom line for Robert though is that Mode 1 should never be used for what he was using it for.  It's been that way since the dawn of IS.
Mode 2 would be useful if you are panning in a single direction such as with a bird whose flight pattern is predictable
Mode 3 would be useful for unpredictable flyers

Personally, I turn stabilization off when shooting flight.  First your shutter speeds are fast enough that it generally doesn't do anything anyway, second, I don't like the stabilization system fighting me, third, images that do not need stabilization are generally slightly sharper with it turned off and the stabilization lens element locked into it's centered position.

by mortsgah on Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:31 pm
mortsgah
Forum Contributor
Not to take this thread anywhere too far afield, but wondering if Mode 2 is still thought to be the best when using a tripod or car bean bag?
erik
http://www.erikhagstrom.com

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:45 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
mortsgah wrote:Not to take this thread anywhere too far afield, but wondering if Mode 2 is still thought to be the best when using a tripod or car bean bag?
It never was, just one prominent photographer was advocating that (and therefore his followers) but was often disproved.  If you aren't panning, Mode 1 is the best on a tripod.

10 posts |