All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by Karl Egressy on Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:33 am
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
I have had most of the canon cameras but this new camera exceeds them all.
This one replaced my 5D Mark III and I still have the 1D Mark IV and 7D Mark II I but hardly ever use them anymore since the new camera is so sweet.
I noticed it with shooting birds that the resolution is superior.
Also noticed that the focus acquisition is very fast even with the 2.0x extender on.
We had a family reunion at my place and I took a few pictures of my sons grandsons and great grandchildren, using a 70-200 f 4.0 L IS lens
set at f 5.6 ISO 1600 1/400s manual and fill flash being reflected from the ceiling.
The IQ and resolution of the portraits are just out of this world.
Truly amazing!!!
The only thing I haven't tried yet was landscape but I think it'll excel in that as well.
I would recommend it to anyone, however I don't have any experience with the 1DX series as a comparison.

by Mike in O on Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:58 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
The new Canons have almost matched the Sony sensors, you should expect much better IQ.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:06 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Mike in O wrote:The new Canons have almost matched the Sony sensors, you should expect much better IQ.
Mike, while the 5D4 is a major improvement over previous Canon bodies it is still no match at low ISO to the 3 year old D810 or at any ISO to the a7R2 despite having 20% and 40% respectively less resolution.  Real world Dynamic range:
http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/P ... 0ILCE-7RII

by Neilyb on Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:09 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Nothing on the market beats the Sony sensors, except MF Sony sensors ;) But the 5D4 is a big improvement. I find noise wise it is far superior to the 5D3 and due to all the pixels I can also keep the 1Dx in the bag when shooting at ISO6400 (down sample to similar res and the noised is very similar). When shooting up to ISO1600 I just love the files.

Despite the AF being fast and perfectly usable at f8 (100-400 II and TC) and with a full spread of points, there are situations that just confuse it, such as back lighting and dull days with less contrast (which is odd as in low light it beats my 1Dx) even on my 200-400 f4. I had this confirmed by a few people too.

I went into the 5D4 knowing that it had some big limitations. The buffer is one. OK until you are in a situation when it is not ;) Only allowing UHS-I cards did not help. Fast CF cards are OK but I do find 4K video will stop whereas on a half decent SD card it is way more stable. Would rather be investing in CFast cards at this point than old tech. Not that I do much video, this camera is not really made for it, or is crippled not to do it ;) I mean seriously, wanted to do some 4K of a goshawk eating on Sunday and I was too close :|
A couple more FPS would have been sweet too, and yes it is possible... see A99II for reference ;) That said one reason I bought it was noise, the 1Dx is like a train when shooting, the 5D4 gives me a little stealth which I needed more than I expected this winter when goshawks turned up to feed and still are.

But as we already know it is a "do it all" body. If I did more landscapes I would be using the A7rII already but 30MP is plenty for what I do, having no AA filter may have been nice though.

4 posts |