Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by Gary Gulash on Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:54 pm
Gary Gulash
Forum Contributor
I have noticed that on occasion I am getting unusual specular highlights in some of my images using my 600 VR Nikkor, or at least I "think" they are unusual, which is the point of my post. Do these highlights seem normal to you? These are fairly typical examples here. They appear when I am shooting bright snow or as here on water when the light sparkles. They appear as circular, rather granular white densities.  The attached older photo has a horrendous bunch of dust bunnies that I just left as the photo has had almost no processing other than a quick
crop. Do you encounter such "unusual" artifacts in your long telephoto shots? I have ignored them until now and felt I should ask for peace of mind. Thanks.

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:05 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
No, that's not unusual. If you notice, they are reflections of sunlight off the ripples. Since they are out of focus, they appear this way. Of course, if they bother you, they can be removed if desired.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by signgrap on Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:45 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
I agree with Joe. The reason you only see these spectacular reflections "sometimes" is it all depends on the relationship (angle) the camera to the water to the sun. Moving the camera to a more acute angle to the sun (if possible) will likely make the spectacular highlights disappear.
Dick Ludwig

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:49 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
If you Google "specular highlights" or "bokeh", you'll find more info on this.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Gary Gulash on Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:52 pm
Gary Gulash
Forum Contributor
Thanks guys, so I don't have to sell all my gear ?!? lol.

5 posts |