Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by 06Honda on Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:59 pm
06Honda
Forum Contributor
Has anyone that has this lense used a teleconvertor on it with sharp results. I don't own the teleconvertor but if the lense is able to give sharp images it may be worth a try. I am happy with the D7200 and this updated lense but like a little more reach from time to time would be nice :)

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:11 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Don't use it with a TC - You are much better off putting your D7200 into crop mode and then uprezzing, or just cropping and uprezzing if you need more pixels.  There is not a singe Nikon zoom lens, including the very expensive 200-400 that is sharp with a TC.  Reserve the use of any Nikon TC to fast super tele primes.

by 06Honda on Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:51 am
06Honda
Forum Contributor
Will do E.J. thanks for the advice.

by dougc on Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:38 am
dougc
Forum Contributor
I believe these folks would beg to differ...

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1472629

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:23 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
dougc wrote:I believe these folks would beg to differ...

Those were taken with a different lens than the OP asked about and generally in very bright light where you can stop down and/or shoot at very fast shutter speeds which of course helps.  Plus, you can make almost anything that isn't grossly misfocused look pretty good in internet sized posts.  But everybody's standards vary.  For me there is no Nikon zoom that is good enough with any Nikon TC period - your mileage may vary.  If your goal for your photos is exclusively for online use, then it probably is good enough but then i also wonder why one would spend the kind of money that some of this higher end gear costs when something dramatically cheaper would do OK.

by hcarl on Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:19 am
hcarl
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
dougc wrote:I believe these folks would beg to differ...

Those were taken with a different lens than the OP asked about and generally in very bright light where you can stop down and/or shoot at very fast shutter speeds which of course helps.  Plus, you can make almost anything that isn't grossly misfocused look pretty good in internet sized posts.  But everybody's standards vary.  For me there is no Nikon zoom that is good enough with any Nikon TC period - your mileage may vary.  If your goal for your photos is exclusively for online use, then it probably is good enough but then i also wonder why one would spend the kind of money that some of this higher end gear costs when something dramatically cheaper would do OK.

E.J.  Glad to see you clarified that T.C. are no good on any lens to T.C. used with zoom lens.  Quite a difference in those 2 statements.  hcarl

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:22 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Oh, oops, I had originally wrote zoom and did a slight edit and accidentally got rid of the word zoom which I've added back in to my original response. I never intended to say any lens, I meant to say zoom lens. Poor editing on my part!

by dougc on Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:19 pm
dougc
Forum Contributor
"There is not a singe Nikon zoom lens, including the very expensive 200-400 that is sharp with a TC."

This is what you wrote and what I responded to. We will have to agree to disagree.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:54 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
dougc wrote:We will have to agree to disagree.
I  have no problem with that! :)  The world would be a boring place if everyone agreed on everything and everyone's needs and perceptions were the same.

by Gary Irwin on Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:10 pm
Gary Irwin
Forum Contributor
I still own the 80-400G and have owned the 200-400G and have quite a bit of experience with all Nikon's TC's and I won't argue with EJ on this one; Nikon's TC's simply do not play well with their zooms. Anyone looking for extra reach using the 80-400G would be best to go with DX...and stay away from the 400mm end if the subject is more than 15m away. If you need sharp distance, the 200-500VR is much better than the 80-400G at the long end.
Gary Likes Nature.

10 posts |