Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by Scott B on Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:57 am
Scott B
Forum Contributor
This lens has my attention.  I hope the production model will have a coating to help manage the flare.

http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/981-laowa12f28

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/laowa/ultra-wide-angle-lens-with-zero-distortion-laowa-1/description[/font]

by Jens Peermann on Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:06 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
I find it hard to imagine a market for an f/2.8 12mm.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by Scott B on Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:38 pm
Scott B
Forum Contributor
Jens Peermann wrote:I find it hard to imagine a market for an f/2.8 12mm.
I agree to some extent for the same reasons you don't see shopping malls in little towns.  I personally have no need for shopping malls, large cities, or taking the same picture at Oxbow Bend that 200 other people took on that very day hour, minute and second.  A full frame 12mm with minimal distortion and a practical and affordable filter option is appealing.  It is on the extreme end without question.  The price is high for a Laowa lens but for what you are getting pretty reasonable.  I think the obvious opportunity is architecture.  I see potential in sparse desert with nice cloudy skies, astrophotography, sea and beach shots, snow scenes.  It is clearly a lens that outside of architecture would be used to interpret more than document. 

by Scott B on Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:18 pm
Scott B
Forum Contributor
Jens, I think the amount of response in this forum somewhat proves your point.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:03 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
When I was in Lofoten a few months ago, I couldn't believe how often I reached for the 12mm on my FF sensor camera. It ended up being one of my most used lenses. The lens I had is only f/5.6 so it was not really usable for aurora photographs but if I had had the 12mm f/2.8 it would likely have been my most used lens. I used my 18mm f/2.8 a lot and wished I had a much wider fast lens with me. For APS-C users this becomes an 18mm f/2.8 field of view lens which would bring APS-C more into the realm of Astro photography. So yes I can easily see a use for a lens like this for landscape photographers.

by sdaconsulting on Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:40 pm
sdaconsulting
Forum Contributor
I on the other hand have no particular need for anything wider than 14mm - the new Samyang 14/2.4 looks really promising...
Matthew Cromer

by andre paul on Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:31 pm
andre paul
Forum Contributor
lots of coma for astro ( laowa ) from what i have seen so far .... !!!
prefer my samyang 14 mm for this.
in fact then new samyang 14mm 2.4 is probably going to be the hot new kid on the block ( for astro .... ) ...

regards....
andre reichmann
**sao paulo-brazil**

by Scott B on Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:55 pm
Scott B
Forum Contributor
andre paul wrote:lots of coma for astro ( laowa ) from what i have seen so far .... !!!
I saw that in one review also, have you seen it in more than one review?  That is one thing that is making me hesitate on this lens.  

by andre paul on Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:54 pm
andre paul
Forum Contributor
your are probably refering to the review from philipreeve.net i guess ....
no, i saw an image directly made from this lens ....
coma is there, but you can in fact correct this in post processing, but its a huge work.... some will not see the amount of coma as critical.... so it depends a bit on each personal standard here...
seems to be a abit too soft at corners wide open also....
if i were to buy a new lens for astro to replace my rokinon 14mmm i would probably wait the new samyang / rokinon 14mm 2.4 which is being already commented as a very good lens for astro.
i prefer a 14mm lens with good coma ( hard to beat samyang/ rokinon here ) and resonably good corner performance then gaining the 2mm wide angle gain but with poorer optics .... ( talking of astro here ... ) and again some might think the opposite :-)
seems to be a better overall lens for general aplications, especially arquitectural shots then the samyangs....

so it really depends on which subjects you are going to use the lens i guess ... decisions, decisions .... ;-)
andre reichmann
**sao paulo-brazil**

9 posts |