All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by Bill Harbin on Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:54 pm
Bill Harbin
Forum Contributor
Member #:00720
Does anyone have any experience with this lens?  Preordered more than 6 months ago from B&H and it arrived yesterday. My initial testing reveals severe distortion and unsharpness in two of the four corners ( at 70 and 200, not as bad at 130 ) and I'll be sending it back.  Wondering if it is even worth getting a replacement after seeing the info from Lens Rentals below.

Looking at the Lens Rentals review update of Jan 6, 2017, this lens looks very poor compared to the new Nikon although apparently testing is not complete. : https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2017/0 ... -8-gm-oss/

Does anyone recommend the Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS ( second best on EJ's list ), scores on DXO Mark look very decent ?

Thanks, Bill Harbin
Bill Harbin

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:59 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Yeah so far it is a huge disappointment but mainly due to poor manufacturing consistency which causes things like what you experienced. It is likely if you wait 6-9 months and then reorder you will get a good one as they work out the manufacturing end of this lens. Like I said in another thread, this sort of thing is the bane on Sony lenses - they are all over the place, especially early ones in the production life. The FE 70-200 f/4 is a very good lens and I can highly recommend it.

by Bill Harbin on Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:06 pm
Bill Harbin
Forum Contributor
Member #:00720
Thanks EJ, I think I will just get the F4.
Bill Harbin

3 posts |