Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by gknorman on Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:19 pm
gknorman
Forum Contributor
It appears that users of this gimbal mount have a choice of using EITHER the low mount arm (which I consider "full gimbal mode") OR using their integrated flash arm (in what I regard as "Sidekick mode"), but NOT using both together... is that correct?

Is anyone using both the IFA and LMA with their Mongoose M-3.6 mount?  If so, how did you manage this?

Thanks,
Gordon

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:51 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Disclaimer: I don't use a Mongoose, but I have altered many tripod heads and built my own Arca style QRs, plates, etc.

Looking at the design, it seems to me that you could mount an additional QR with longer screws at the side mount position over the LMA. This would offset the QR by the thickness of the LMA. The critical thing would be the clearances between the lens and the gimbal (QRs) in both positions. If it clears, it should work without having to keep changing the QR out. You would definitely want to use strong screws because of the additional length. The length of the protrusion of the screws through the LMA after mounting the QR must be equivalent to the amount the screws protrude through the LMA (original mounting screws). Don't force anything so as to avoid damage and binding!!! It would probably void your warranty, but it's probably worth it.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by mortsgah on Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:31 pm
mortsgah
Forum Contributor
Do you already own the Mongoose setup? The reason I ask is that if so, you should have received proper parts with the LMA that still allow the IFA to slide in to the top portion of the gimbal. I have exactly that set-up (both LMA and IFA).
erik
http://www.erikhagstrom.com

by Karl Egressy on Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:15 am
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
Hi Gordon,

I own and use a M-3.6 both ways with and without the low mount arm. However, it is somewhat lighter and more rigid using it as a side mount,
I still prefer using it with the lower arm 90 percent of the time, as it is more safe this way, at least for me.
You can use the flash arm regardless, it has nothing to do with the lower arm.
The side mount mode gimbal head weighs 1lbs and 10 ounces, the low mount arm adds an other 4.9 ounces making it 1lbs 14.9 ounces,1.1 ounces shy of 2 lbs.
I rarely use the flash arm as it upsets the balance and it tends to swing down if you are not careful.
When I need a fill flash, I switch over the much heavier Wimberley II full gimbal head, but I don't like it very much as it is heavy for me.

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:47 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
This page shows and describes what Erik and Karl are saying:

http://stores.4gdphoto.com/ilm-integrat ... mount-arm/
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

5 posts |