All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 37 posts | 
by James Vellozzi on Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:49 am
James Vellozzi
Forum Contributor
Hi
I got an online quote from KEH on a Nikon Lens I own, practically new, (3years old) Its a Nikon 400 2.8 top of the line, I paid like $12,000 for it.
Yet, on their site they are saying its worth only around $1700 at most.  
Any thoughts?
thanks
James
James Vellozzi
www.jamesvellozzi.com

by Mike in O on Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:11 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Talk to Amazon

by SantaFeJoe on Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:11 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
This page shows higher prices than you state:

https://www.keh.com/sell/catalogsearch/ ... 00+f2.8+AF
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by James Vellozzi on Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:30 am
James Vellozzi
Forum Contributor
I will take a look.. Even the prices I see now still seem rather low for such a beautiful piece of glass
James Vellozzi
www.jamesvellozzi.com

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:59 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
After good experiences I have had over the years, my recent offers from them have been lowball insults and they even tried to convince me that there is such a thing as a AF-S 500 f/4G VR2 - there isn't, never was. Their reasoning for a lowball offer was that it wasn't the VR2 - no such designated lens was ever produced by Nikon. It looks like they are now looking for around a 100 to 200% resale markup compared to the 50% they used to do. You are still going to get the most money on eBay but it is a major pain...

by Wildflower-nut on Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:32 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
my recent experience with them has me looking for other sales avenues

by Brian E. Small on Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:19 pm
Brian E. Small
Forum Contributor
Member #:00479
James,

Call Brandon at Allen's Camera and tell him you're a friend of mine. See what they can offer you. I think they'd give more in trade than a straight sale but perhaps not.

by Bob Ettinger on Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:40 pm
Bob Ettinger
Regional Moderator
Member #:00148
+1 for Brandon but he likes to offer store credit rather than cash
Bob Ettinger

by Tim Zurowski on Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:58 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Other than perhaps needing money in a hurry, why would anyone sell their gear to a store or business? You will never get the full value of an item since they need to turn around and sell it for a profit. Typically you will get somewhere between 50% to 65% of the actual street value. Why wouldn't you just place it in your local classifieds and sell it yourself privately. I have sold tons of items (both camera and non-camera) through our local online classifieds and always get a fairly quick and fair sale. And I am in a much smaller market than you are.

by neverspook on Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:25 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
I have had decent success selling things through Artie Morris/Birds As Art. He takes a cut but not that much and his market of course is serious bird photographers who use big glass.

Tim, what online classifieds do you recommend? You mean like the online classified from the local newspaper? Or do you mean things like kijiji and craigslist?

Roberta Olenick
www.neverspook.com

by Tim Zurowski on Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:30 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
neverspook wrote:Tim, what online classifieds do you recommend? You mean like the online classified from the local newspaper? Or do you mean things like kijiji and craigslist?

Roberta Olenick
http://www.neverspook.com
Over here Used Victoria is very popular and extremely busy. I always put items I am selling on both Used Victoria and Craigslist. Most of my sales have been through Used Victoria, but Craigslist offers a larger audience. I have sold hundreds of items that way and never had any issues. There are no shipping hassles and you get paid cash :)

by neverspook on Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:35 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
Thanks, Tim.

by dougc on Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:38 pm
dougc
Forum Contributor
"I have had decent success selling things through Artie Morris/Birds As Art."

This is surprising as that forum is rather stagnent.

by DChan on Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:42 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
dougc wrote:"I have had decent success selling things through Artie Morris/Birds As Art."

Looks like most of the original folks are gone; Artie is the only one left looks like.

by neverspook on Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:18 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
I sold my camera not through his forum but through his blog.

Roberta Olenick
www.neverspook.com

by Jens Peermann on Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:40 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Too funny! I got this in an e-mail from KEH today:
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:56 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
And how can they prove you get 10% more unless they gave you an estimate for the same piece of gear yesterday... That's complete BS marketing in my opinion.

by Jens Peermann on Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:22 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:And how can they prove you get 10% more unless they gave you an estimate for the same piece of gear yesterday...  That's complete BS marketing in my opinion.
It took me a little while to understand this "generous" offer. The key is "up to 10%". Underneath that is explained how those 10% are composed: 5% more than what you never knew you would get before, and another 5% on top of that if you intend to turn that money right back to KEH for a purchase.

I recently did buy a used Sony 28-70 for my idle sitting a7 from them for a little under $300 and must say that it was a good deal. It's in mint condition although the description said it has minor scratches; I didn't find any. I just feel bad for that poor seller who dished out almost $500 for it and got $100 or $150 for it not long - judging from it's condition - after the purchase.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by OntPhoto on Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:07 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
dougc wrote:"I have had decent success selling things through Artie Morris/Birds As Art."

I wonder how accurate these website traffic stats are?  Comparing traffic to 2 sites.

https://www.similarweb.com/website/naturescapes.net?competitors=birdphotographers.net#

by OntPhoto on Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:16 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
I used to hear about people selling a lot of equipment on Fred Miranda.  Is that still the case?  What about the DPR buy and sell forum?  Here in Ottawa, we have Kijiji. I have a hard time letting things go as someone kept insisting on buying my 100-400L IS original but I keep hesitating :-)

I wonder how much the Canon 500 f4 II will be worth in another 5 to 8 years.  The good news is that I paid much less a few years ago brand new than it is selling for new now. 

37 posts |