Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by chrissandys27 on Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:38 pm
chrissandys27
Forum Contributor
Reading the latest posts on setting distances for Lens Align prompted me to spend a few hours recalibrating a few lenses with a recently serviced Canon 1D Mark IV.  I was an early adopter of Reikan Focal and it seems to still work well for me although I seem to remember EJ saying a while back he could not recommend it. Is that right ? Today I used, Focal, a home made Lens Align set up and dot tune (which I have not tried  before ) They all gave similar results (to within 1 or 2 micro adjustment points) I just wondered what the favoured method is these days
Chris Sandys

by Tim Zurowski on Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:17 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
I still use Reikan Focal and I am reasonably pleased with the results. I usually do a minimum of three runs (sometimes more) of the same lens/camera combo to confirm the results. I do agree with EJ though that the program is very finicky and can be a pain to work with at times.

by Charlie Woodrich on Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:49 pm
Charlie Woodrich
Forum Contributor
I also use Reikan Focal but given the tighter manufacturing tolerances, at least with regard to Canon, it almost seems like a waste of time. The adjustments required were between -1 and +1.  Aside from that, I believe Reikan has resolved their software issues.  My MPB would constantly crash just at the end of the test; very annoying.  It is stable now.  I've tried lens align and Reikan and I prefer the latter.  The Reikan automated testing is a lot less work to get to the right number than the lens align product.

3 posts |