Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 26 posts | 
by DChan on Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:00 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
ricardo00 wrote: EJ:   Wouldn't it depend on what features are most valuable to the individual?  For example, having the bigger zoom on the Panasonic would be nice but it comes at a cost, the max aperture is 2.8 versus the 1.8 of the Sony.  Since I most want to use it in low light and close distances (people, inside, etc) not sure the Panasonic would be best for me.  I have wondered why some website doesn't assign points to the different features of a camera and then allow individuals to rank the features they most value and then get the "best" camera for that individual?  Or maybe there is such a website now?
Not EJ, but I think it's pretty obvious that each one of us has our own preferences and that it's just dpreview's opinion that the Panasonic is the best. I'm sure there're people who would disagree and I'd say that's expected. Even if they rank different features separately, there'd be still people who would disagree with their ranking and so why bother? They have their opinons and you sure are entitled to yours. Theirs are just for our reference and consideration. Nobody say we must buy that camera and nothing else. At the end of the day, I am sure many of us would be smart enough to pick the cameras that best suit our preferences.

by andre paul on Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:44 pm
andre paul
Forum Contributor
my rx100 simply woke up a day with the lens opening mechanism dead . the price here in brazil to replacing the lens would take several months, and price would be the same as buying a new one.
so i got the biggest hammer i had at home, and..... i hit it really hard....

enough of pocket cameras.... now its just my ipnone 6splus camera :-) ...
andre reichmann
**sao paulo-brazil**

by ricardo00 on Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:58 pm
ricardo00
Forum Contributor
andre paul wrote:my rx100 simply woke up a day with the lens opening mechanism dead . the price here in brazil to replacing the lens would take several months, and price would be the same as buying a new one.

Hi Andre,  Sorry to hear about your RX100.  Interesting though that in Brazil, like the US, it usually isn't worth fixing most electronic things, better usually just to buy a new one.  Assuming you had about 4 years of use (since it came out in 2012), that is a "reasonable" life time for electronics these days?  I had a point and shoot Canon die in just a little over a year (right after the warranty expired) as well as a Canon video camera die after about 2-years of use?  And Canon usually is viewed as having better made products than most companies.
ricardo00

by ahazeghi on Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:00 pm
ahazeghi
Forum Contributor
ricardo00 wrote:
Ari:  Sorry to hear about your problems (at least Sony gave you a refund).  

Sony didn't refund it, I sent it back to B&H :) 

by andre paul on Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:59 pm
andre paul
Forum Contributor
ricardo00 wrote:
andre paul wrote:my rx100 simply woke up a day with the lens opening mechanism dead . the price here in brazil to replacing the lens would take several months, and price would be the same as buying a new one.

Hi Andre,  Sorry to hear about your RX100.  Interesting though that in Brazil, like the US, it usually isn't worth fixing most electronic things, better usually just to buy a new one.  Assuming you had about 4 years of use (since it came out in 2012), that is a "reasonable" life time for electronics these days?  I had a point and shoot Canon die in just a little over a year (right after the warranty expired) as well as a Canon video camera die after about 2-years of use?  And Canon usually is viewed as having better made products than most companies.
ricardo00
hi ricardo.
my rx100 worked for two years... in fact here in brazil they don't carry the parts in stock for repairs.... so it takes a long time to make the repair.... but its not worth it .....

just returning to bills original question ,
i would just agree with arash : the pricepoint of these small and fun cameras ( or toys , as you wish ;-) ) are a bit excessive, and they do brake a lot !!!!!!!!
if money was not a problem, i might consider getting another one..... bust money is a  bit tight here :-(  
and i would not go through this route again...

regards
andre.
andre reichmann
**sao paulo-brazil**

by ricardo00 on Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:28 pm
ricardo00
Forum Contributor
hi ricardo.
just returning to bills original question ,
i would just agree with arash : the pricepoint of these small and fun cameras ( or toys , as you wish ;-) ) are a bit excessive, and they do brake a lot !!!!!!!!
if money was not a problem, i might consider getting another one..... bust money is a  bit tight here :-(  
and i would not go through this route again...

regards
andre
Hi Andre,
  I would agree that these "fun" cameras are expensive.  But just to give you some perspective, I bought my first digital camera in 1998 for about $800 (which is more than a $1000 in current dollars).  It was a Sony MVC-81.  To give you some idea how long ago that was in the digital age, it used a floppy disk for memory. And the copy of the picture was no where as good as a film camera.  But you could pop out the floppy disk and stick it into your computer and send it by email (which was a novelty at that time).  It also was able to take video if I remember correctly.  It was purely a "fun toy" though the cost was excessive.  Since that time I have had many digital point and shoot cameras (Canon, Panasonic, etc) which had variable lives, the worst being a Canon.  So hope things improve in Brazil and you can buy more toys, though the phones take great pics!
ricardo

26 posts |