Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by Mike in O on Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:16 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
The secret is the pocket for inserting the tripod leg (common with photo bags) which regular back packs don't come with. If you can adapt an open pocket to your bag, it will really increase stability.

by Trev on Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:13 pm
Trev
Forum Contributor
I use an F-stop rucksack which feels great on the back. Access to camera equipment is via back pad inside a secondary camera compartment that comes in various sizes. I can then strap my tripod on the back of the pack with no issues and camera equipment is well protected. It also means I can get my camera out without the need to remove my tripod if need be.
Trevor Penfold
Website http://www.trevorpenfold.com
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/trevorpenfoldphoto

by Kari Post on Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:08 pm
Kari Post
Forum Contributor
Member #:00959
Hi Jeff,

I too hate photo backpacks. I actually go backpacking and adventuring, so know how well a real backpack handles and haven't found one specifically designed for photography that I like very much.

When I do carry a tripod with a backpack, I nearly always carry it stashed vertically on the side (usually where the water bottle goes). If you carry your water on the other side, the weight usually balances out and produces the most stable load. When I was searching for a new backpack several years ago, Arc-Teryx made a panel loading backpack with a side hydration bladder which seemed like a really good option for photographers.

The best photo backpack I have found for actual hiking is the Lowepro Flipside Sport (I think the model might be discontinued, but the new ones look similar in design). It's lightweight, well balanced, and priced affordably. I've tried Clik brand photo backpacks in the past but the materials were a little too stiff and heavy for me and F-Stop bags are really nice but really expensive. I'm sure there are better options out there now, as I haven't purchased any new gear in a while.

Good luck!
Kari Post, former NSN Editor 2009-2013
Check out my Website and Instagram

by Jeff Colburn on Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:24 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
I now use a photography backpack, but before that I customized a regular day pack. You can see an article about what I did here http://www.jeffcolburn.com/articles/my- ... a-daypack/

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.

by Mike in O on Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:41 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
I use an Art Wolfe photo backpack that is designed as a backpack (too bad, no longer in production)

5 posts |