Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by Jens Peermann on Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:53 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
When Sony announced the a6500 mirrorless APS-C camera with in-body image stabilization it seemed like a dream come true for every photographer who loves everything about her/his Canon 400/5.6 L, except for the missing image stabilization. So I ordered one.

It arrived last Thursday and I scheduled Saturday for testing. A wicked stawm that drenched us with 24 hours of non-stop rain limited that project to an indoor comparison between the Metabone IV  and Sigma MC-11 adapters, which ended in favor of the Sigma, albeit by just a hair. Both respond instantly to half-pressing the shutter release, but don’t focus without a bit of hunting. Once achieved, focus is right on with both adapters. The Sigma felt a little faster and was also able to focus on a low contrast watercolor painting where the Metabones failed. That’s why I picked it for most of the testing that was done today after the rain let up.

The indoor test also revealed an unpleasant limitation with the a6500/Canon 400/5.6 combo. Focus is not possible in the Zone, Expanded Flexible Spot and Lock-on AF modes. I was particularly looking forward to having the Lock-on AF mode for BIF shots, so this is a significant disappointment. The remaining usable Wide, Center and Flexible Spot modes aren’t really all that usable for BIF, particularly since the Flexible Spot mode has its own peculiar limitation. It works only from top to bottom along the vertical center line of the frame, and along the horizontal center line for about the length of the superimposed level indicator; not even the whole width of the frame. In all other positions the lens will hunt for a while and eventually produce a full frame bokeh.

These limitations exist with both adapters. A quick comparison test with my Sony 70-300 G OSS lens had all AF functions and zones working properly, indicating that those limitations are intentionally programed into the firmware to encourage the user to employ Sony lenses (that don’t exist).

The Image Stabilization (Steady Shot) is very effective with the Canon 400/5.6. I was able to have images consistently sharp in low light with shutter speeds down to 1/90. Considering that the sensor has the same pixel density as a 54 MP full frame sensor, that’s amazing IMHO. I was never able to do that with any of my Canon cameras (I had this lens for almost 20 years).

I went to Virginia Lake in Reno for the outdoor testing today. This lake has a good population of gulls, Chinese geese, ducks, swans and even cormorants. Even though it was overcast, there was still much more light than I had indoors yesterday, and that resulted in much faster focusing speeds with the hunting almost completely gone. I used Flexible Spot focusing which worked fairly well, although its limitation made composing a bit challenging. I tried some BIF shots but, as expected, without the Lock-on AF it just didn’t work.

One new function on this camera that I am very enthusiastic about is moving the focus point via touch screen while looking through the viewfinder. It is not necessary to actually grab the focus point, just put your thumb anywhere on the screen and slide it in the direction you want the focus point to go. It will make the same move relative to the move of your thumb. There is a bit of lag between the movement of your thumb and the focus point, but it takes only little practice to place the focus right where you want it, really quick.

Using the Canon 400/5.6 with the limitations of the Flexible Spot on non-Sony lenses doesn’t allow to take much advantage of the touch screen function, though. You can do it, but there’s a good chance that the spot ends up in a position where it won’t focus this lens. However, with a Sony lens it’s pure fun to use that function. I put on the 70-300 G OSS, selected Lock-on spot, and could quickly move the focus point onto a bird (or a car, as I did on the freeway on my way home) to have the focus follow the bird for as long as I keep the shutter pressed.

Focus following worked better with the birds than with the cars. I got all birds in focus in every burst I took, about 30 or so frames each. With the cars it was a bit different. I got two or three frames in focus, then one or two soft ones, followed by two or three that are sharp again. Also, those burst were not consistent. Six or seven frames, then a brief pause, then another six or seven frames, and so on. I guess that 70mph objects are a bit of a stretch for the camera’s focusing system.

This test is, of course, far from being complete. But it is enough for me to decide that I will keep this camera, despite the limitations for a non-Sony lens, for two reasons. First, the image stabilization will allow many shots with the Canon 400/5.6 that I have not been able to take without it. Second, I think it is more likely that Sony will eventually offer a lens comparable to the Canon 400/5.6 than Canon putting in-body IS and a state-of-the-art sensor into one of their cameras.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

Last edited by Jens Peermann on Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Mike in O on Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:04 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Nice run down Jens, but I think you meant the "6500"

by Jens Peermann on Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:15 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:Nice run down Jens, but I think you meant the "6500"
Thanks, Mike. Corrected.

by Neilyb on Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:20 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Please bear in Mind Jens that the Sony - EF lens adaptation works better with the newer generation of EF lenses than with the (now 16 years old?) lenses. Focus modes are still limited but speed is better (certainly on my 70-200 2.8 II with the A7RII). Would love to put me new 100-400 II on the A7RII or a6500.

Thanks for the info.

by Jens Peermann on Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:30 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Neilyb wrote:Please bear in Mind Jens that the Sony - EF lens adaptation works better with the newer generation of EF lenses than with the (now 16 years old?) lenses. Focus modes are still limited but speed is better (certainly on my 70-200 2.8 II with the A7RII). Would love to put me new 100-400 II on the A7RII or a6500.

Thanks for the info.
I am aware of the limitations with older EF lenses, particularly the 400/5.6 which is Canon's oldest lens still in production (I think it was introduced around 1995). I am not complaining about this, I am just stating what exactly that limitation is for this lens. And I think it is wonderful that the image stabilization works, which is very useful for stationary and slow moving objects.

by Charlie Woodrich on Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:25 am
Charlie Woodrich
Forum Contributor
Neilyb wrote:Please bear in Mind Jens that the Sony - EF lens adaptation works better with the newer generation of EF lenses than with the (now 16 years old?) lenses. Focus modes are still limited but speed is better (certainly on my 70-200 2.8 II with the A7RII). Would love to put me new 100-400 II on the A7RII or a6500.

Thanks for the info.
Jens - Thanks for your review.  I've put the 100-400 V2 on a A7R2 (metabones) and you can forget about BIF.  The focus acquisition is a bit clunky.  I was hoping the a6500 would be much better.  Maybe it is.  I think I'll wait this one out until I'm sure.  I hate selling gear.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:19 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I'm surprised it worked that well with such an old lens. Not getting those other AF modes with a Canon lens is par for the course. The MC11 does allow those other modes with a Sigma lens though. Thanks for the write up :)

by Jens Peermann on Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:03 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Yesterday I went back to Virginia Lake in Reno for some more shooting with the Canon 400/5.6 + Sony a6500 combo. BIF is not an option, not even in bright sunlight. I hoped it might work a little better than under overcast conditions, but no. However, shooting stationary and slow moving subjects is greatly improved by the camera's IBIS. Here is a sample of what this combo of a more than 20 year old lens design with the a6300 can produce:
I don't remember ever getting a shot this clean and detailed from this lens when paired with any other camera I had (click on it!). I am sure this combo will also shine when I visit the elephant seal rookery at Piedras Blancas next weekend.

by Lamphus on Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:55 am
Lamphus
Forum Contributor
Jens Peermann wrote:Yesterday I went back to Virginia Lake in Reno for some more shooting with the Canon 400/5.6 + Sony a6500 combo. BIF is not an option, not even in bright sunlight. I hoped it might work a little better than under overcast conditions, but no. However, shooting stationary and slow moving subjects is greatly improved by the camera's IBIS. Here is a sample of what this combo of a more than 20 year old lens design with the a6300 can produce:
I don't remember ever getting a shot this clean and detailed from this lens when paired with any other camera I had (click on it!). I am sure this combo will also shine when I visit the elephant seal rookery at Piedras Blancas next weekend.

That's a nice shot!

And hello : ) Sorry to revive an older thread but since it is about precisely what I was thinking about pursuing I found it wiser to bump, mods may tell me otherwise if that's not so.

I currently own the Sigma MC11, an A7 and an A6000 and the EF 400 5,6. I also have a 7D. Both Sony cameras can AF the 400 5,6 but only if the target is a magpie in bright daylight sitting absolutely still and even then only sometimes.

I bought the MC11 because the 7D has quite limited dynamic range and many birds have whiteish and blackish areas which very often causes clipped highlights or shadows. The images from the Sony cameras are more malleable. So to gain IS and better AF I was thinking about the A6500 and am as such wondering whether you still think this is a worthwhile combo? I mostly take pictures of birds that are swimming or wading or sitting as opposed to flying, even if the latter is possible with the 7D. This together with the fact that I like to handhold the 400 makes me think the A6500 could be a worthwhile upgrade. It would thus be interesting to hear if this is your maintained position after some time of use.

Thanks in advance and this seems like a nice forum : )

9 posts |