Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 36 posts | 
by Bill Chambers on Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:33 am
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Lots of people have and of course they think their design is great.  The legs constantly come loose too and their response is to just use locktite.  Well why don't they just do that at the factory.  Like I said, I'm a 20 year RRS customer and love almost everything they make but not their tripods due primarily due to the angle locks.  I have a couple of old Gitzos that have literally been to hell and back a few times and the leg angle locks work the way they did on the day they left the factory.  If you go to 3:49 in the video and pause it you will see the disassembled angle locks and the one in the lower left of the screen has the little single wire return spring - that's the crux of the problem and it is an overly complex system.  That little spring pops out of place inside the mechanism all the time (I can't keep one in place for even a single day of shooting) and that allows the angle lock to just slide out into the fully splayed position from gravity alone.  Gitzo on the other hand has no such return spring and simply uses a friction mechanism that just works, all the time, every time.  The angle lock stays where you put it until you change it.  On the RRS, even when it's working perfectly, because it is spring loaded, the angle lock doesn't stay where you last put it.  It becomes a major nuisance and after a while you just get tired of it.  If you don't need a Gitzo 5 series, then a 3 series is probably perfect for you or maybe a 4 series.  I will start using a new 4 series tomorrow.  I have deleted your earlier post as per your request.

I do understand the desire to buy an American product from a company where you can get spares easily and can actually get somebody on the phone.  This, in my opinion based on 3 years of use, just isn't the product.  I speak from my personal experience and several client's experience - my issue with it is not unique to my tripod, it is inherent in the design.
Thank E.J.  I think I'll just keep my 5 Series until (and IF) RRS gets their act together on the tripods.  I too am a long time RRS fan, using their BH-55, BH-40, their pano gear, and the L-Brackets.  They've been great to deal with, but it sounds like a re-design may be in order for the tripods.
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by Tim Zurowski on Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:12 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Tim, I'm guessing you would probably post a rant about how crappy the leg angle locks are a month or two after getting the RRS ;)
EJ, I was not aware of this situation with the RRS tripods, until now. I take back my recommendation :)  All I had ever seen was glowing reviews on them (many people here), including a friend who has one and loves his. Let's hope that RRS listens and fixes this issue.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:23 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Tim Zurowski wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:Tim, I'm guessing you would probably post a rant about how crappy the leg angle locks are a month or two after getting the RRS ;)
EJ, I was not aware of this situation with the RRS tripods, until now. I take back my recommendation :)  All I had ever seen was glowing reviews on them (many people here), including a friend who has one and loves his. Let's hope that RRS listens and fixes this issue.
The tripods have been on the market for close to 10 years and they continue to have the same silly single wire spring in the leg locks that dislodges.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:07 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
My 4542LS arrived this morning and I've been playing with it and so far I am extremely pleased. Gitzo has come a long way since I purchased my 3530LSV. Just about everything on it has been significantly refined and I was super happy to see that it ships with standard feet, spikes and snowshoes - things that cost extra on the other brand ;) If my impressions over the next couple of months are as good as my first impressions, I am going to be one very happy camper :)

by Darren Huski on Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:33 am
Darren Huski
Forum Contributor
As a long time Gitzo 1325 owner, I only wished for two things- a tripod that opened a little taller and collapsed a little small than the 26"/58" of the 1325. I recently found a used Gitzo 1348 which is the four section version of the same tripod. 24" closed and 65" open. Was just what I was looking for.

I have found those models (three series) plenty stable to use with my Arca-Swiss 4x5 camera with extended rail and long bellows on.  While the 4x5 with 300mm lens might nit be as heavy as a 600dslr  lens, it's big and bulky so it is still a challenge to stability. I think that will hold most equipment. But if I had a 4 or 5 series Gitzo, I might like that too. Really I think any Gitzo 3, 4, or 5 series will be good.

Good luck.

by Trev on Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:30 pm
Trev
Forum Contributor
Thanks so so much for all your reply's very helpful and useful I think I will definitely go with Gitzo not quite sure between the 4 and 5 series at the moment. I never find it easy to decide when things are so expensive :)
Trevor Penfold
Website http://www.trevorpenfold.com
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/trevorpenfoldphoto

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:03 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Trev, having just gotten the 4542, it is easily strong enough for a very stable platform for the 500+TC that you referenced early on in the thread.

by Tombenson on Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:53 pm
Tombenson
Forum Contributor
Wildflower-nut wrote:GT3542XLS   I just love it. This tripod has tons of height.  4 sections but I rarely use the thinnest section.  When I need the extra height it is there for me.  The extra weight for height is not a big penalty.  I've used the 5 series 20 years ago and don't think it is really necessary. RRS tripods seem to be the darling these days.  Surprised EJ is down on it.  Then I don't like their ball heads.
A 600 on a D4 with or without a TC. No issues. If there is some wind I will sandbag a foot or use a strap to put a weight on the center. I use an RRS Sidemount gimbal and their Leveling head that mounts directly into a 3 series Gitzo. The only time I feel the need for more weight or sturdiness is when I clamp a full-size umbrella to the top section for sitting out in nasty weather. But then I usually just lower the whole thing down to just two full extension length and sit on my Swedish sit stool. Not usually doing huge 'chase the bird' gimbal action in the rain.

by Trev on Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:53 pm
Trev
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Trev, having just gotten the 4542, it is easily strong enough for a very stable platform for the 500+TC that you referenced early on in the thread.
Thanks EJ I think I've decided on the GT4543LS its just replaced the 4542 the only problem now is trying to source one in New Zealand :)
Trevor Penfold

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:49 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Trev wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:Trev, having just gotten the 4542, it is easily strong enough for a very stable platform for the 500+TC that you referenced early on in the thread.
Thanks EJ I think I've decided on the GT4543LS its just replaced the 4542 the only problem now is trying to source one in New Zealand :)
NSN ships all over the world.  You might want to contact the store here to see if they can secure one for you if you can't get a hold of one in NZ.

by Trev on Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:21 pm
Trev
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Trev wrote:
NSN ships all over the world.  You might want to contact the store here to see if they can secure one for you if you can't get a hold of one in NZ.
Thanks EJ I'll bear that in mind.
Trevor Penfold

by Greg Downing on Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:51 am
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
Hey Trevor,

If this shipping costs scare you please contact Tara at tara@naturescapes.net and she can give you a custom quote for shipping and likely a price break on the tripod. We ship to your part of the world often.

EJ: Glad you're enjoying your new tripod. I'm still a gitzo fan after all these years...
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by Bill Chambers on Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:26 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
Trev wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Trev wrote:
Thanks EJ I'll bear that in mind.
Trevor,

If I were buying a GITZO I would definitely purchase it from NSN.  Tara's service is spectacular, and their prices are as good or better than most anywhere.  You can't go wrong with them.
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by bradmangas on Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:47 pm
bradmangas
Forum Contributor
I have been using an Induro carbon tripod for just over 6 years. It's been from the ocean to the desert and still preforms like it did when new. I am typically on 2-3 outings per week with it. I can not image why I would ever have to spend twice the money for something that said Gitzo on it.

by OntPhoto on Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:02 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
All this talk about Gitzo tripod just reminded me of one big thing.  I have one of the older Gitzo's before they made adjustments to the top plate so it's more secure.  I haven't checked the bolt for tightness in several years.  That issue had just faded from memory.

by Greg Downing on Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:58 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
I agree that Induro tripods are a great value and for a lot less money than Gitzo you can get a very good tripod that will last for many years. That said there are a few differences and the biggest difference between Induro and Gitzo are the strength of the leg sections. If you examine the thickness of the carbon fiber the Gitzo one is much thicker and thereby much stiffer. The castings are also stronger. I was actually shocked at the difference of the thickness of the CF when taking each one apart. I was given my choice of each of them gratis, as I am a volume dealer of both, and I chose the Gitzo mainly for that reason.
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

36 posts |