Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 27 posts | 
by ricardo00 on Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:01 pm
ricardo00
Forum Contributor
Cynthia Crawford wrote: Fun photo! Which one did you get, Ricardo?  Looks like II has the same zoom as I plus all those improvements. Wow- the viewfinder is a whopping $448! That's more than the camera costs! 

[font="Helvetica Neue",Helvetica,sans-serif]Save[/font]

Thanks!  I bought the first one (model I) in July, 2012 for $650 and took it with me on a number of photographic trips as well as used it for family events, etc.  In June, 2014 I bought model III for $800 and passed model I to my daughter who is still using it for dive trips, etc.  Model III comes with the tilting LCD screen and built-in pop up  view finder (no extra cost).  Again have used it for numerous photos.  I actually thought the view finder would be more useful than the tilting LCD screen but after two years feel the opposite.  So I would not buy a viewfinder, especially at that price.  The new model 5 is $1000 (and the battery does not last very long according to reviews)!  If you can get close to the birds, the tilting screen comes in very handy!

by Karl Egressy on Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:29 am
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
I had the Sony RX100 (model 1) for a few years but barely ever used it.
It bothered me that every time I picked it up, I had to re-learn the operating system that was very complex and not self-explanatory.
I ended up selling it just recently.
Being a Canon shooter (currently I have three different models and never had any problem switching from one to the other)
I decided that I should stick with Canon and buy a pocket camera made by Canon.
The Sony RX100 produced beautiful images though.

by Cynthia Crawford on Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:48 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Karl Egressy wrote:I had the Sony RX100 (model 1) for a few years but barely ever used it.
It bothered me that every time I picked it up, I had to re-learn the operating system that was very complex and not self-explanatory.
Being a Canon shooter (currently I have three different models and never had any problem switching from one to the other)
Hi Karl

What Canon did you get?   Are you happy with the pictures compared with your old Sony?  This purchase isn't for me- my daughter is smarter than I am, so she might be able to figure the camera out- it happens when you grow up geek-ish.  ;). But she has a Canon P&S larger camera- I forget which one.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:21 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The Sony isn't any more complicated, it's just different. I think just about anything that you "barely use" while using something else a lot is going to result in some relearning every time you barely use it ;)

by Karl Egressy on Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:39 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:The Sony isn't any more complicated, it's just different. I think just about anything that you "barely use" while using something else a lot is going to result in some relearning every time you barely use it ;)
You are right about it E.J. Everything looks complicated if you don't do it often.

by Karl Egressy on Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:30 am
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Cynthia Crawford wrote:
Karl Egressy wrote:I had the Sony RX100 (model 1) for a few years but barely ever used it.
Hi Karl

What Canon did you get?   Are you happy with the pictures compared with your old Sony?  This purchase isn't for me- my daughter is smarter than I am, so she might be able to figure the camera out- it happens when you grow up geek-ish.  ;). But she has a Canon P&S larger camera- I forget which one.
Hi Cynthia,

I picked G7X Mark II but haven't bought it yet.

by ricardo00 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:27 pm
ricardo00
Forum Contributor
Karl Egressy
Cynthia Crawford wrote:
I picked G7X Mark II but haven't bought it yet.

Hi Karl,
  Also a 1 inch sensor like the Sony RX100 (and a tilt screen).  Would be very interested to hear how its low light capabilities and ability to stay in focus while doing video compare to the Sony.  I had several much older point and shoot Canons (much smaller sensors) and always liked their pictures.
Ricardo

27 posts |