All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 37 posts | 
by Karl Egressy on Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:10 am
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
I few years ago it took five minutes to sell my Canon 500 Mark I through Fred Miranda.
Time has changed.
Not very long ago I counted up to sixteen people (just out of curiosity) with long primes, Gitzo tripod an Wimberley head at places I visited for bird shooting.
Nowadays I might be the only one or might be one or two more of those with long prime lenses.
Most people walk around with zooms like Sigma 150-600 and the like.
I think the long primes are out of fashion.
They are way overpriced and people lost interest in spending so much on bird photography and honestly, finding birds is getting more tough every year.
Keep your lens James if you can afford it, don't squander it for pocket change.

by OntPhoto on Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:54 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
When I started photographing birds, there were not that many people doing it.  We were a small group.  Some of us still reminisce about the 'good ol days'.  :-)  Fast-forward more than a decade and many people now have very good camera gear.  Many birders now have good gear too and they were one of the last groups to adopt.  With so much camera equipment out there, the resale market is a lot more saturated now.  More competition means lower resale value.

Long primes are also very expensive.  But as a photographer, I fully understand the love of zooms.  Flexibility.  Long primes are restrictive unless you are out to specifically photograph a certain subject you know will require the long focal length.  I always bring it when photographing a pair of bald eagles at the nest because I know I need the reach.  Most of the time my 500 stays at home.  I'd much prefer to bring a zoom for its flexibility.  

Many birders nowadays use eBirds to report and read about bird sightings.  I use it all the time mostly to find birds and also to report on bird sightings.  Hoping to photograph one of a number of Northern Hawk Owls soon.

by Richard B. on Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:07 am
Richard B.
Lifetime Member
Member #:01199
Nikon 500 f/4 VR II ?

Really Right Stuff thinks there is one out there also. I was looking at the replacement lens feet, and the LCF 16 listed as fitting the 500 VR II. Lens designations are just getting too long and confusing.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:02 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Yup, no such thing as a Nikon 500 VR II

by bikinchris on Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:35 pm
bikinchris
Forum Contributor
For Nikon specific sales, two places with a good reputation are Nikon Café and Nikonians. Both places have a good base of long standing Nikon Photographers. Nikonians requires membership dues.
Chris
http://www.eaglewheel.us

by Marc on Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:08 pm
Marc
Forum Contributor
DChan wrote:
dougc wrote:"I have had decent success selling things through Artie Morris/Birds As Art."

This is surprising as that forum is rather stagnent.
Looks like most of the original folks are gone; Artie is the only one left looks like.

Artis IS the only one left because he owns BPN ;)
MarcMol.com    FACEBOOK    500px 

by Chas on Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:48 pm
Chas
Lifetime Member
Member #:00037
www.FredMiranda.com moves alot of gear
Charles Glatzer M.Photog, Canon Explorer of Light, https://about.me/charlesglatzer
Check out www.shootthelight.com for info on workshops, seminars, appearances, etc.
NSN 0037

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:58 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Marc wrote:
DChan wrote:
dougc wrote:"I have had decent success selling things through Artie Morris/Birds As Art."

Looks like most of the original folks are gone; Artie is the only one left looks like.
Wow, a simple question that would take a one line answer and would be answered here in minutes has gone unanswered since 11/30...  I would have answered it if they hadn't banned me simply because I pointed out an error on a technical point on a single post years ago.

by Ethan Meleg on Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:11 pm
Ethan Meleg
Forum Contributor
Chas wrote:http://www.FredMiranda.com moves alot of gear

Agree with Chas, the Buy and Sell forum on FM is still very active.  

I typically post ads in a couple of online classifieds (FM, kijiji) ..... it's quick and easy (the hardest part is writing up the ad details and snapping a few good photos of the gear). 
Ethan Meleg
web: [url]http://www.ethanmeleg.com[/url]

by OntPhoto on Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:53 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Marc wrote:
DChan wrote:

What happened to that site??  I never visited except maybe a few times in the very first year.  The stats on SimilarWeb is fairly accurate then.

by dougc on Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:49 pm
dougc
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto wrote:
Marc wrote:
DChan wrote:

What happened to that site??  I never visited except maybe a few times in the very first year.  The stats on SimilarWeb is fairly accurate then.
You must be willing to kneel at the alter of Artie and never, ever disagree.

by Methodical on Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:25 pm
Methodical
Forum Contributor
I sell my stuff on Fred Miranda.  That seems to be the place that moves lots of gear.  I won't even think about selling to a store because I won't get full value.  

I spoke with a guy who sold his Canon 500 f4 IS to a store and got $1k less than I did for the same lens that I sold on FM.  He didn't want to deal with the hassle.  For $1k, I will deal with it, which isn't really a hassle to me.  I just can't stomach that much of a hit.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:22 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Methodical wrote:I sell my stuff on Fred Miranda.  That seems to be the place that moves lots of gear.  I won't even think about selling to a store because I won't get full value.  

I spoke with a guy who sold his Canon 500 f4 IS to a store and got $1k less than I did for the same lens that I sold on FM.  He didn't want to deal with the hassle.  For $1k, I will deal with it, which isn't really a hassle to me.  I just can't stomach that much of a hit.
KEH is currently paying about $2K below market average for 500 f/4 lenses :(

by OntPhoto on Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:26 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
dougc wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:
Marc wrote:
DChan wrote:

You must be willing to kneel at the alter of Artie and never, ever disagree.
Thanks dougc.  It's trying to protect the 'brand'.  :-)

by Methodical on Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:36 pm
Methodical
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Methodical wrote:I sell my stuff on Fred Miranda.  That seems to be the place that moves lots of gear.  I won't even think about selling to a store because I won't get full value.  

KEH is currently paying about $2K below market average for 500 f/4 lenses :(
I would never take that much of a hit.   I'd keep the lens before selling to them.  Just go to FM.  I'm not sure how selling is on this forum.

by ChrisRoss on Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:55 pm
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Yup, no such thing as a Nikon 500 VR II

Seems that some people call the "E" lens a VR-II , I've seen that in a couple of places and turns out they are referring to the "E" lens.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:42 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
ChrisRoss wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:Yup, no such thing as a Nikon 500 VR II

Seems that some people call the "E" lens a VR-II , I've seen that in a couple of places and turns out they are referring to the "E" lens.
Yeah, that wasn't the case here but that's wrong too.  This guy was arguing with me that there is a VR a VR II, and the E and was using that as a reason to dock me $2K on my VR because it wasn't the VR II.  KEH used to be a good place to sell through and you would take about a 20% hit compared to a private sale but now it is more like a 50% hit.

37 posts |