Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by akjackson1 on Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:04 am
akjackson1
Forum Contributor
Hope you all had an enjoyable thanksgiving.
I'm currently in the market for a 600mm lens. I have a tight budget of about $4500, which I've been hoping to pick up a 600 f4 VR for, but in that price range they're few and far between. For setup bird photography from a blind or at feeders, is VR necessary? I'm expecting to use a 1.4x quite often.

I'm particularly hoping Alan Murphy may chime in :)
RawComposition.com
D810 + 200-500

by 1fspeed on Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:07 pm
1fspeed
Forum Contributor
I wondered the same a number of years ago. Rented a 600vr and did a series of shots at a resolution test chart from solid legs and a Wimberely head.  I made 6 shots at speeds from 1/250 down to 1/10sec in 1/3 stops. Three shots with VR on and 3 with it off.  Used my best long lens technique (no cable release) with the Wimberley head unlocked just like I'd set it in the field. I wasn't able to notice a consistent difference in sharpness until I got to 1/30sec. At that speed my subjects probably moving - not my lens - bought a used 600afs.

That said, shooting in strong wind, an unstable surface (tundra buddy in Churchill with people moving about) would certainly widen the gap between the VR and non VR images.

Didn't test it with the tc

be well

by Mark Robinson on Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:19 am
Mark Robinson
Forum Contributor
I bought the 600mm F4 AF-S1 lens in 1999, and haven't looked back. I have used it extensively on a F100, D2x, and D500, and never had a problem with sharpness. It is almost always used with a 1.4 TC. With a solid tripod, a full wimberly head, and good technique, I think it is far more than adequate. A strong back helps too, as it can be heavy if you plan to walk far. The lens is built like a tank, and it will likely outlive me. Mine is as perfect both cosmetically, and functionally as the day I bought it.

Also, with the higher ISO capabilities of the newer bodies, I am not so sure that VR is as necessary as it once was. Others may have more scientific opinions. For my needs, I have never seen a reason to upgrade.
Mark Robinson
http://www.critterlight.com

by akjackson1 on Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:35 am
akjackson1
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Still hoping there's some more opinions out there to help me in making this decision.
RawComposition.com
D810 + 200-500

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:34 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Personally I would not opt for a lens in this category without image stabilization.  The keeper rate is just much higher with IS/VR/OS/OSS.  Even gentle side breezes can destabilize long focal lengths resulting in lower sharpness.  This is something that stabilization systems handle well.  Also, when you are in a hurry due to a fleeting subject and your technique and/or heart rate might not be optimal, it can make what would be a soft shot without stabilization into a sharp shot, even on a tripod.

by Mike in O on Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:57 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
The VR system that allows stabilization on a tripod is really nice (I wish Sony had it their long lenses).

by Tim Zurowski on Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:08 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
I ditto EJ's comments. I get way more keepers with VR.

by akjackson1 on Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:21 pm
akjackson1
Forum Contributor
Really appreciate the valuable feedback. Looks like I'll need to keep hanging out for a good deal on a 600 f4 VR. Or, make due with my 200-500, which is a surprisingly remarkable lens.
RawComposition.com
D810 + 200-500

8 posts |