Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by mplichtman@hotmail.com on Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:41 pm
mplichtman@hotmail.com
Forum Contributor
Hi, Bob's son Jason wants to take his photo equipment to the Galapagos but I am not sure he knows what he's doing.  He's smart but he knows nothing about the equipment and reading a manual may not be enough. He's saying there will be no electricity down there so can't recharge batteries. I can provide him two internal LI ion for the Nikon D800 but is that enough for a week?  I know some of you have gone there. How do you handle batteries for the camera and flash?

Pat Lichtman

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:07 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Hi Pat, welcome to NSN. 2 batteries will get him around 2000 shots which is probably not enough for a place like the Galapagos and the more he uses image stabilization and looks at photos on the LCD, the shorter the battery life will be. You could get a solar charger or get another battery and make sure it's fully charged. I don't think flash is even allowed on the Galapagos but others will have to verify that.

by Neilyb on Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:50 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Well we were there for a week on a boat that had power outlets, but without more information we cannot really make a judgement. The Galapagos is not completely backwards and does house hotels and guest houses (not to mention plenty of passenger boats). The only suggestion would be a solar charger as E,J pointed out and that might require a 3rd party charger for the Nikon batteries.

Things may have changed on the flash issue but when were there is really was a question on which guide you had on how flexible they were. Personally I would leave it at home and use the extra space to carry three more batteries ;)

by mplichtman@hotmail.com on Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:07 am
mplichtman@hotmail.com
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the quick replies. Jason is a traveler, so he also plans on going to Patagonia, Torres del Paine park, on a 70 mile hike. Do you know anything about that area as well?

by Anthony Medici on Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:42 am
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
Flash is not allowed in the Galapagos. If he is going on a cruise, he will be able to charge on the boats. If he is staying in one of the towns, there is power there too.
Tony

by ricardo00 on Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:09 pm
ricardo00
Forum Contributor
Will he be camping out in Torres del Paine? If so, no charging unless he spends time in one of the visitors centers. Lots of beautiful landscape, guanaco and a small chance to see a mountain lion!
ricardo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60519499@ ... 9305206238

by ChrisRoss on Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:20 pm
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
I can't imagine anywhere you would go on the Galapagos and not have access to power. You are either in one of the towns or on a boat, As far as I am aware there are no options to travel independently where you would be finding yourself without power. You are not allowed to stay on the islands overnight except in towns. Everyone who goes just about is toting a camera and the boats cater for that. Flash is not allowed on the islands.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by mplichtman@hotmail.com on Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:29 am
mplichtman@hotmail.com
Forum Contributor
Yes, he will be camping and doing a 70 mile hike.  I will pass along your information. Thanks! ricardo00 wrote:Will he be camping out in Torres del Paine? If so, no charging unless he spends time in one of the visitors centers.  Lots of beautiful landscape, guanaco and a small chance to see a mountain lion!
ricardo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60519499@ ... 9305206238

by Vivek on Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:49 pm
Vivek
Lifetime Member
Member #:01186
Been to Galapagos twice - they have power on boats and in large towns, so not sure why this is a concern. If he is camping in the boondocks solar charging will work which would also be good for Torres del Paine trek. BTW, who is Bob ;-)?
-- Vivek Khanzode
http://www.birdpixel.com

9 posts |