« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:25 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Olympus updated its OM-D E-M1 body with the OM-D E-M1 Mk II (that's a crazy complex product name).  The OM-D E-M1 is probably the second best laid out camera on the market after the Fuji X-T series and the Mk2 keeps this alive.  The Mk2 offers 4K video and is a fully featured and specified body overall.  Some key features include 18 FPS with full continuous AF and 60 FPS without AF, new AF system that covers nearly the whole frame with 120 on sensor cross-type Phase detect points, new 120 FPS EVF with just a 6ms delay and that runs slightly ahead of the shutter so that what is seen by the eye in the viewfinder is the same as what is being captured - a real innovation in EVF.  Unfortunately, like the Panasonic offerings below, are saddled with the smallish micro 4/3 or m43 sensor which is fundamentally recording diffraction at f/5.6 and is stuck at 20 megapixels due to this.  To go to a higher and more competitive pixel count would bring the diffraction limit even lower.  This format is painted into a corner and must do tricks like pixel shift which only works well with still objects just to get to modern resolution levels.  The format is simply better suited for video.  

A new PEN low end m43 camera, the 16 megapixel E-PL8 was also introduced as was a 25mm f/1.2, a 12-100mm f/4 and 35mm f/3.5 were announced.  Finally a high end flash, the FL-900R and an Olympus Pro Service program was announced.

by DMcLarty on Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:58 pm
DMcLarty
Lifetime Member
Member #:00155
This is a very progressive upgrade and long awaited. added features such as the  4 k video and dual slots and improved focusing will be welcome.

"...This format is painted into a corner and must do tricks like pixel shift which only works well with still objects just to get to modern resolution levels."

true for many, but for me in my case where I use images for prints up to 16 x20 and electronic display...the camera system is very suitable.
The high res mode does work well when needed and I have used it now on different subjects even night skies. I'm a happy camper.  

PhotoKina 2016 is full of great advances in many ways for all of us...worth checking all of the news. Makes for a great Monday :)

doug
The McLarty's :)
Lethbridge Alberta    
Rankin Inlet Nunavut Canada
In the Heart of the Canadian Arctic
Twitter @DadRankin

by ChrisRoss on Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:18 pm
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
"The camera adds a 'Pro Capture' mode that starts shooting full-res images when you half-press the shutter and retains the last 14 shots leading up to you fully depressing the shutter. "

Seems like a good feature if you are waiting for action.  The 12-100 lens also sounds promising with quite close focus capability, may make a good underwater lens, though of course may mean mega$ for a new port.  

Have to agree with Doug, the output of my EM-5 II is good enough for what I'm doing, I primarily bought it for underwater use and the compact size is very welcome in that application.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

3 posts |