All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 14 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:21 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Since many of us use Carbon Fiber tripods, I thought some might find this entertaining:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM6J-yw8yjA

by Andrew Mc on Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:26 pm
Andrew Mc
Regional Moderator
Member #:00043
And now I'm stuck here watching various things getting crushed! A good alternative to "will it blend" ;). Be sure to watch until the end for the extra content!
Andrew McFadyen | NSN0043
http://www.mcfadyen.org

by bender16v on Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:12 am
bender16v
Forum Contributor
Member #:02125
Those videos are addictive. It's fun to watch things get crushed. I don't know that any correlation can be made to tripods, but here's impact and stress testing of aluminum vs. carbon bike frames: https://youtu.be/xreZdUBqpJs 
-Chris Harrison

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:47 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
It's especially fun they crush exploding things

by Robert on Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:39 am
Robert
Forum Contributor
This was like watching MythBusters when they blew things up! And with the same laughter from the "experimenters". Oh my god, where did that bolt go! :lol: 

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:36 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
I know it's off topic but I'm glad many are enjoying it - watch some of the other ones from their channel if you enjoy this sort of thing. I just thought the CF would be interesting to this crowd.

by Robert on Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:10 pm
Robert
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:I know it's off topic but I'm glad many are enjoying it - watch some of the other ones from their channel if you enjoy this sort of thing.  I just thought the CF would be interesting to this crowd.

I bet these videos take you back to your engineering school days EJ! I can't imagine engineering students not trying to crash, smash and blow up stuff. Work hard and play hard. :D

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:59 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Robert wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:I know it's off topic but I'm glad many are enjoying it - watch some of the other ones from their channel if you enjoy this sort of thing.  I just thought the CF would be interesting to this crowd.

I bet these videos take you back to your engineering school days EJ! I can't imagine engineering students not trying to crash, smash and blow up stuff. Work hard and play hard. :D
My specialty was dropping things off of high structures to see what would happen!

by Robert on Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:17 pm
Robert
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Robert wrote:

My specialty was dropping things off of high structures to see what would happen!

I knew it!!! But probably not camera lenses, unless they were out of a bargain bin.

by pablo on Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:14 pm
pablo
Forum Contributor
While this may be entertaining, as a licensed mechanical engineer with some materials testing, just understand that this is STUPID. It is not how you demonstrated the strength of structural elements.

by Robert on Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:23 pm
Robert
Forum Contributor
pablo wrote:While this may be entertaining, as a licensed mechanical engineer with some materials testing, just understand that this is STUPID. It is not how you demonstrated the strength of structural elements.

Really? Sense of humor helps balance out our need for professionalism and seriousness in every profession I have known through friends and my own experience with two degrees and several decades of work in health care. This post and comments were all in good humor and I think should be taken in that perspective as well. No one, least of all me, was making fun of engineers anymore than I have made fun of myself with friends of my own respective careers. Take a deep breath and re-find your own sense of humor, there was no dis-respect in this post and comments.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:29 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
What's stupid to some is funny and entertaining to others :)

by Ed Cordes on Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:57 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
I think it is cool to watch.  Does remind me of "Myth Busters". We all did what some feel are stupid things. Regarding stupid -  I remember like it was yesterday taking perfectly good model cars I worked hours on, placing a firecracker in it dousing it in lighter fluid setting it on fire and sending it down a hill.  The eventual explosion was great.  Stupid - Yes Fun for a 12 year old Priceless
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by johan on Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:18 pm
johan
Forum Contributor
And I thought this WAS how you tested the structural integrity of stuff, DOH! I probably should have grown concerned over the test parameters when he blurts out WTF at the conclusion of each carefully controlled trial! Not to mention the Plastacine models that were unnecessarily sacrificed, omg. Thanks for the heads up though...lol.

14 posts |