"Photography intensifies the experience of life"
http://www.mojphoto.com

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:03 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
From Canon Press Release:

EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR Camera Specifications:
New 30.4 Megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor for versatile shooting in nearly any light, with ISO range 100–32,000; expandable up to 50–102,400.
4K Motion JPEG video (DCI cinema-type 4096 x 2160) at 30p or 24p; in-camera still frame grab* of 4K 8.8-Megapixel images; multiple video options include Full HD up to 60p, and HD up to 120p.
Superb Dual Pixel CMOS AF for responsive and smooth AF during video or Live View shooting; LCD monitor has full touch-screen interface, including selection of AF area.
Excellent performance — up to 7.0 fps** continuous shooting speed with high performance DIGIC 6+ Image Processor for improved speed and excellent image quality.
61 AF points with expanded vertical coverage with 41 cross-points, and AF possible at all 61 AF points with many lens + extender combinations effective at f/8.
150,000-pixel RGB+IR metering sensor helps provide precise exposure metering, helps detect flickering lights and allows for enhanced scene recognition and face detection capabilities.
Dual Pixel RAW***, in-camera Digital Lens Optimizer during JPEG shooting and Diffraction Correction technologies.
Built-in Wi-Fi®1 and NFC2 connectivity provide easy sharing to compatible smart devices, select social media sites and the Canon Connect Station CS100 device.
Built-in GPS3 provides geotag information including auto time syncing with Universal Time Code (UTC) via satellites.

Price: $3500

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:05 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Also a 16-35 f/2.8L III and a 24-105 f/4L II

by Mike in O on Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:35 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
sounds like Canon is trying to catch up...waiting for the other 2

by ahazeghi on Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:42 pm
ahazeghi
Forum Contributor
Looks like an awesome body! where is the official announcement though... is it from a rumor site?  I can't find anything on Canon USA site. If true Dual-pixel RAW data can open up many possibilities in post.

by PV Hiker on Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:21 pm
PV Hiker
Forum Contributor
I'm guessing it has a SD and a C-fast card slot? Is the CF card being left behind because of the 4K video needing c-fast speed?
Patrick

by ahazeghi on Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:07 pm
ahazeghi
Forum Contributor
It just came up on B&H, pre-order is on.

it takes CF card not CFAST.

by John Guastella on Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:21 pm
John Guastella
Forum Contributor
DP Review has their initial impressions review up:

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV First Impressions Review

John

by John Guastella on Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:28 pm
John Guastella
Forum Contributor
Canon also has their 5D IV page up:

See Legendary: Canon 5D IV

John

by KK Hui on Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:55 pm
KK Hui
Member #:00536
I'd have thought they'd do away with a low-pass filter in front of the CMOS image sensor in 5D4 by now.
But no ...
KK Hui  FRPS
Fellow of The Royal Photographic Society
Personal Website | Portfolio @ Flickr

Lifetime Member NSN 0536

by ahazeghi on Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:15 am
ahazeghi
Forum Contributor
KK Hui wrote:I'd have thought they'd do away with a low-pass filter in front of the CMOS image sensor in 5D4 by now.
But no ...
That would be a bad choice for this camera. First of all you don't gain that much, secondly the 5D series is also a video workhorse, for video you do want an AA filter to prevent any kind of aliasing that can ruin your footage.  Furthermore it can also interfere with the dual pixel AF causing AF instability. 

I am very interested to see how the post capture focus micro-adjust in dual-pixel RAW works in practice, of course the latitude of adjustment is very small but if it is enough to turn RAW files that are sharp but not quite razor-sharp into razor-sharp, it is a game changer in the field, will have to see. Hopefully I'll have one soon:) 

by Mike in O on Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:02 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
ahazeghi wrote:
KK Hui wrote:I'd have thought they'd do away with a low-pass filter in front of the CMOS image sensor in 5D4 by now.
But no ...
That would be a bad choice for this camera. First of all you don't gain that much, secondly the 5D series is also a video workhorse, for video you do want an AA filter to prevent any kind of aliasing that can ruin your footage.  Furthermore it can also interfere with the dual pixel AF causing AF instability. 

I am very interested to see how the post capture focus micro-adjust in dual-pixel RAW works in practice, of course the latitude of adjustment is very small but if it is enough to turn RAW files that are sharp but not quite razor-sharp into razor-sharp, it is a game changer in the field, will have to see. Hopefully I'll have one soon:) 
How would describe this camera compared to the 5d3 being a spokesman for canon.

by WJaekel on Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:05 am
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:
ahazeghi wrote:
But no ...

How would describe this camera compared to the 5d3 being a spokesman for canon.
So any positive excitement of a new technology always suspects you to be a spokesman ?? :wink:

However, the price of 4065 € in Europe is beyond reason and not justified by currency fluctuations. It's almost 500 €  more than the 5DsR. The 5d3 was around 3000 € at launch.

Wolfgang

by Stephen Feingold on Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:54 am
Stephen Feingold
Forum Contributor
An interesting new lens correction feature is diffraction correction. This appears to be available only with Canon's DPP software.

by Charlie Woodrich on Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:24 am
Charlie Woodrich
Forum Contributor
Any idea whether this is an "ad hoc" WiFi connection to your mobile device or is an internet connection required?

by Robert Sabin on Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:29 am
Robert Sabin
Forum Contributor
It absolutely MUST have vastly improved Dynamic Range and High Iso performance to match or near match Nikon or Sony.
Nothing else matters for me.

by ahazeghi on Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:41 am
ahazeghi
Forum Contributor
Charlie Woodrich wrote:Any idea whether this is an "ad hoc"  WiFi connection to your mobile device or is an internet connection required?

Hey Charlie, it's for pairing with your smartphone or PC for remote shooting, it doesn't need/use an internet connection. 

by Vivek on Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:51 am
Vivek
Lifetime Member
Member #:01186
Interesting body for sure. I agree with Arash that this should *not* have the AA filter removed. Actually I bought a 5Ds for a recent trip to South America and an really impressed with the sharpness even though this is not 5Ds*R*. With the 500IS-II, this is a dream body and I loved using it in the Galapagos and Ecuador. The fine feather detail is very very good and so I am happy with the 5Ds. The only thing I complain about is the time it takes to render the "full" previews in LR. May be I need a new processing beast.

The things I am looking forward to in this body are the low ISO noise performance, diffraction correction (interesting addition) and the DPRAW capability. I am not the one to jump on new technology, so I will wait it out on the sidelines. For now, it does seem to be a decent upgrade on paper but time (and internet reviews) will tell the full story soon.
-- Vivek Khanzode
http://www.birdpixel.com

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:03 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Robert Sabin wrote:It absolutely MUST have vastly improved Dynamic Range and High Iso performance to match or near match Nikon or Sony.
Nothing else matters for me.
At the 24mp APS-C level, Canon sensor technology has cut in half the gap between It and Sony sensor technology so I am not expecting the 5D4 to get to the levels that have been available in full frame sensors for 4.5 years in the D800/D810 and a7/a7R (at a higher resolution) but it should be a fairly substantial improvement over the relatively poor dynamic range of the 5D3 and 5Ds(R).

On the big flagship cameras, the 1Dx2 actually is a bit better for dynamic range than the D5 but the D5 does not use a Sony sensor and has taken a different approach sacrificing a bit of low ISO dynamic range for better high ISO dynamic range.  For what I do, that's a mistake but then I have no use for a 1Dx2 or D5 so it doesn't matter to me personally.

by hullyjr on Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:37 am
hullyjr
Forum Contributor
I'm interested in the combination of on-sensor phase-detection for stills in Live View with touch-screen selection of the focus point. Assuming that the focus point is sufficiently small it makes Live View a more practical option for bird portraits. Not sure about the frame-rate in Live View.

I really wish this camera had a movable screen.

I wonder how long it is going to take Adobe to emulate some of the new post-processing features?

Cheers,

Jim
Jim Hully
Grayslake, IL
Images now at https://www.flickr.com/photos/138068378@N06/

92 posts |