Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by Bruce Sherman on Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:05 pm
Bruce Sherman
Forum Contributor
I'm getting tired of carrying around a DSLR (7DII) and lenses (100-400II and 400DO IO and tc) and often a CF tripod. Age and several neck surgeries have made me do some thinking.

I am seriously considering micro 4/3 gear. I am thinking about renting a top of the line Olympus or Panasonic body and a Panasonic 100-300 or 100-400 lens and maybe the new Olympus 300 f4 and 1.4x tc. I am assuming any m4/3 lens will work with fully functional AF and metering with either body.

I shoot birds, wildlife, and grandkids. I have the following concerns:
image quality (I rarely print larger than 12"x16")
AF speed (I do a lot of multiple flash hummingbird photography - this requires rapid AF)

I would be very grateful for any comments, suggestions, ideas, etc.
Bruce Sherman
[url]http://www.pbase.com/brucesherman[/url]

by Arnie Berger on Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:15 am
Arnie Berger
Forum Contributor
As someone who has moved to a micro 4/3 system for all the same reasons you mentioned, I can say it was worth it, but there is a learning curve and trade offs. Although my GH4 focuses fast it not as fast as my Canon 7d mk2 but I have with use, gotten better. I would definitely stay away from the Panasonic 100-300 as the two other lenses are much better/ You can use either brand on either camera.
Daniel Cox is a wildlife photographer who primarily uses micro 4/3 and is a Lumix Luminary ( http://naturalexposures.com/ ) who has a lot of tips and good information.
You can look at my flickr photostream to see some of my work, The latest hummingbirds shot were taken with my GH4.

Arnie Berger
Arnold Berger
Powell Ohio

by baldsparrow on Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:14 pm
baldsparrow
Forum Contributor
Give serious consideration to this (Sony RX10mark3) ... yes, I know it's a "superzoom" but it's not like any earlier superzoom, this is a "real" camera. Excellent Zeiss lens with 600mm equivalent zoom. I gritted my teeth and got one a couple of months ago - superb quality and very portable plus the Sony sensors are top of the range. Acceptable auto-focus speed but not, it has to be said, the fastest ... though the 'focus peaking' tool is very accurate and rapid to use.

http://www.sony.com/electronics/cyber-shot-compact-cameras/dsc-rx10m3

Last edited by baldsparrow on Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Mike in O on Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:42 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
The Sony RX10III should fit the bill, equivalent 24/600 with a 1" sensor and no need to bring extra lenses.

by DMcLarty on Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:01 pm
DMcLarty
Lifetime Member
Member #:00155
Bruce Sherman wrote: I shoot birds, wildlife, and grandkids. I have the following concerns:
image quality (I rarely print larger than 12"x16")
AF speed (I do a lot of multiple flash hummingbird photography - this requires rapid AF)

I would be very grateful for any comments, suggestions, ideas, etc.

Hi Bruce
I mirror your image habit. If you can rent a set up this would be best as the system needs some time to get into and try out. Try not to use the m43 system like your Canon setup but let the m4/3 show you what it can do Once you use it you’ll understand what I mean. I would suggest a 2-3 week time period of active shooting at the least.
As a user Olympus (currently mostly the EM1 and PEN F) I can tell you it is a great system and can be used for all you have listed and much more (See my NSN portfolio and twitter for images taken with M4/3 over the past 3 years. I can send a few samples of others if you wish). I am an active photographer not specializing in any one field but have plenty of fauna, birds, and scenic, people/portraits/wedding and family, night time low light, and action sports images. I use my cameras pretty well every day of the year in one of and most days more than one of the above activities.

You will have to research the best menu setups and don’t let the menu discussions get to you. Like all systems once setup to your liking you don’t need to fiddle in the menus much. I have presets setup on F buttons and rarely go into the settings.  

File size RAW /Jpg I have not found any real issue with image quality and have shoot all ISOs. The RAW files can be very clean and as in all image exposure in camera needs to be correct for good processing. I process RAW formats and use Light Room /Photoshop /Epson printer combo.  I print a lot of portraits, wedding images, cards, Fauna, night skies up to 11x14 and larger with no issues.  

ISO in the high range above 2000 does have limits but I have used up to ISO 6400 for our dark arenas and had suitable results. I use a lot of ISO 400 to 800.

Focus speed is very fast 90 % of the time for my use. As the m4/3 uses CDAF there are times in low light where the focus will be slower but not impossible. Focus settings and focus grids can be set just like all other systems from full array to single small point. Accuracy of the focus point is very good any issue with missed focus usually is with the end user not the system…I am some times to shaky to hold the 300 F4 steady so also us a tripod and a sidekick combo.  

There are lots of really great images on the Internet from m4/3 users around the world. Robin Wong robinwong.blogspot.ca  has a superior selection on Images even though he is an Olympus sponsored he has a lot of  knowledge and superior images … caution he highlights food in every blog  :lol: . DP Review has lots of good discussions but best to look at the 2-3 first posts in a discussion as most degrade quickly after the 4 th comment.

MU-43 .com  is a great image place where users post actual real images.

FM Forums also has a good deal of images in their threads.      

Pm me if you would like some RAW Jpg samples sent to you.

Doug
The McLarty's :)
Lethbridge Alberta    
Rankin Inlet Nunavut Canada
In the Heart of the Canadian Arctic
Twitter @DadRankin

by mikeojohnson on Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:57 pm
mikeojohnson
Lifetime Member
Member #:00374
I have a Panasonic system in addition to Canon. I like M4/3 for travel but not fast moving wildlife. Almost all the images in this gallery were shot with a GX8 and a few different lenses.
http://www.mojphoto.com/p345299673
There a lot of features on the mirror less systems that are better than DSLR's IMO, but the DSLR's are still at the top for action.

Mike
"Photography intensifies the experience of life"
http://www.mojphoto.com

by ChrisRoss on Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:08 pm
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
There's a guy on an Australian forum I frequent who is shooting dragonflies in flight with an Oly EM-1 and 300mm f4 and 40-150 f2.8 lenses:

http://www.feathersandphotos.com.au/for ... -in-Flight

and birds in flight:

http://www.feathersandphotos.com.au/for ... -in-flight

seems to do a pretty good job, though mostly looks to be in bright light.

I have an EM-5 MkII for underwater work and the AF is pretty decent but not so great when light is low, haven't used C-AF very much though.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by hullyjr on Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:08 pm
hullyjr
Forum Contributor
Hi Bruce,

I have a m43 system but I don't use it for my bird photography (Canon 7DII etc). There are two major reasons why I do not use M43 for my bird photography - focusing speed and ability to move the focusing area. These are being addressed in the latest M43 models but I not enough for me at the moment. I'm not talking about BIFs, M43 can do that, but when your subject is moving in a random pattern and eye-focus is critical. Canon is far from perfect but it does not get in the way of me getting the shot most of the time.

In terms of compatibility, it is not 100%, some Panny lenses have aperture rings but these do not function on an Olympus body. Certain lenses perform quite differently depending on the camera body and you cannot take advantage of dual IS if the lens/body combo are different brands. Not surprising when you are working with two very different companies.

Between Olympus, Panny and Samyang, there is a great range of excellent optics for m43. Olympus really makes great zooms and the PRO line can be exceptional. Not sure if Panny have a clear lens map, they have some superb fast primes and a few high end zooms but to my eyes lacks a comprehensive set of optics with consistent features. To meet my needs I use all three brands.

I disagree about the menu not being a problem for Olympus. As long as you just have Olympus cameras, you will be fine but working with multiple camera brands will quickly expose Olympus's dated and unhelpful layout.

Cheers,

Jim
Jim Hully
Grayslake, IL
Images now at https://www.flickr.com/photos/138068378@N06/

by MarkoPolo on Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:28 pm
MarkoPolo
Forum Contributor
I changed from Canon 7D kit and lenses to Olympus for the same reasons you mentioned. I am quite glad I did and feel the quality is fine for my uses. I do think Oly glass can compare well with any other brand.
Mark Brown

9 posts |