All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by Rhett on Wed May 25, 2016 2:24 pm
Rhett
Lifetime Member
Member #:01389
Does anyone have any suggestions on a method to keeping track of all of my photo gear?  For example, I would like a master list of my gear.  From that list I would add/remove various components given the specific situation.  As an example, what gear do I need for a workshop, vs what do I need for a bird boat trip?  Depending on the trip, I end up taking different bags, but I struggle with leaving pieces of equipment behind.  

by E.J. Peiker on Wed May 25, 2016 3:07 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Since there are lots of personal preferences involved and different people own different gear, why not make your own and then use it as a checklist when you get ready for a shoot.

by Wildflower-nut on Wed May 25, 2016 7:48 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
I maintain lists using excel. I really think you need to make your own. Periodically go through and weed the things you've taken several times and never used.
I have a "basic" core kit which pretty much goes every time (2 bodies, 24-105 & 100-400 etc) to which I add specialty kits (t/s, macro, night, etc, super wide angles). The long lens usually is a "stand alone" and not part of a list and is added depending on anticipated photography (mammals, BIF, small birds, shooting from a boat, from a blind, etc). Lepp had a deal where the kits were prepacked so all he had to do was grab and go. Great idea but mine is simply excel lists.

by Bill Chambers on Thu May 26, 2016 9:22 am
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
Rhett, I keep one big bag (kinda my Master bag, if you will) in my truck when I go out, but I will throw in a couple of extra, mostly empty bags so I can remain flexible. When I arrive at a destination I determine what equipment I need for the shoot and only pack the equipment that is absolutely necessary to keep from hauling a bunch of heavy stuff that won't be used anyway. The older I get, the lighter I want my bag to be. Have I missed a shot because I carried too little; I'm sure I have but it's VERY seldom if I have. Carrying a lighter bag results in a fresher me and a fresher mind which helps to be more creative (That's my story & I'm sticking to it).
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by david fletcher on Thu May 26, 2016 1:54 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
I have two lists. each serving a slightly different purpose:

1. with Nikon UK of my gear that I have registered with them.. (naturally, only the Nikon Kit).
2. Complete lists on a word doc. excel will do the same job... includes lighting equipment, tripods, bags, meters, cards, etc and pretty much everything I have).

If you were then so inclined, you could for example, have a pre-prepared kit in your favoured back pack, a portrait kit in another bag, etc and just pretty much pick whichever suits the occasion, naturally remembering to take the right back...lol.
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by photoman4343 on Thu May 26, 2016 2:01 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
I keep mine on an excel worksheet that I had originally developed for my Insurance carrier for my Personal Effects Policy. I then added columns for my own purposes. Since excel has a sort feature , you can use the basic info in your master excel sheet to produce more custom lists or reports such as you have described in your post. 

You can even include columns for serial numbers, weight, size, filter size, where purchased, cost, warranty, etc.  

Joe
Joe Smith

by Primus on Sat May 28, 2016 8:07 am
Primus
Lifetime Member
Member #:02003
Agree with Joe. I have a similar system.

I created an excel spreadsheet with all my photo gear. It is in several sections, beginning with camera bodies and lenses, going on to support stuff like tripods, heads and plates, then accessories like batteries, flash, cleaning supplies, filters, and finally bags and such. I've listed pretty much every doodad related to photography because you never know what you might need on a specific trip.

When I am packing for a trip I check off the things from the list that I am taking with me. I then keep that list with me so I know on my return trip that I am bringing back everything I am taking.

At the top of the list is the destination, departing and returning dates. What I have not done is write down the weight of everything, which may help when you are severely restricted. I found doing that to be way more cumbersome than weighing the final bag and adding/removing things at that time.

I also have my name and address labels on each major item including camera bodies and lenses, chargers (especially those) etc. On group workshops it is very easy to mix up your gear especially if you are all sitting in one big room and working on your images as it often happens.

Finally I also have a pretty exhaustive travel list in general which contains everything else, such as medications, keys, clothing, shoes, i.e. everything of a non-photo nature.

And then there is a 'things to do before  you travel' list which is not relevant to this topic but important for safety and other reasons.

I am very much a list guy. I've reached an age where I tend to forget something if I don't write it down in a list somewhere :-)

Pradeep

PS. Be happy to send my list(s) as a sample to anybody, just PM me.

by Wildflower-nut on Sat May 28, 2016 9:36 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
not as well or thoroughly organized as Pradeep but that is the idea.

by Rhett on Tue May 31, 2016 3:20 pm
Rhett
Lifetime Member
Member #:01389
Thanks, I was hoping someone might have run across a magic solution. Excel it is!

by Bob Boner on Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:32 am
Bob Boner
Lifetime Member
Member #:00059
I have a list I made in MS Word of all my equipment. Each item is preceded by a short blank line and followed (if needed) by a line for the number of that item I own. For example, in the batteries section:

____LP-6N #____

Before a trip I print a copy and go through and mark each item and the number I need to take with me for that trip. I then use it to fill the bag(s) I need to take.
Bob Boner

10 posts |